Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone here go to Woodstock 69?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Ya know, I've never heard Hartley. Apart from him working with John Mayall, really the only thing I know about him is that Gary Thain was his bassist, before he joined Uriah Heep.
    In Toronto, at the turn of the 70/80's, I remember seeing the albums in used record store with those silly Amerindian covers, but they kind of turned me off, despite the fact that I was heavily into John Mayall in those days, so I never gave KHB a chance then

When I fonally did give them a chance, it was around the millenium, and I thought not much of whatever I could get my paws upon.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If we got rid of all the great musicians who were assholes, there wouldn't be a whole lot of others left.

I vite Blackmood and Ax'l as silver and gold medal.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Woodstock was the third festival I attended that summer. The other two are less well known, but at least the stench of garbage and cow manure was absent. Good times....
    what were the other two? (so I'll know if I don't know of them)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I met during the French RIO festival in mai an Germany based American who had been as a teenager in the security staff team at Woodstock. He had done a couple of interviews for local German TV stations in the last couple of days and has published a funny and touching blog about his stay at Woodstock. (4 parts , the last one should come online today)

https://nitepoetry.wordpress.com/201...rm-part-one-2/
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I met during the French RIO festival in mai an Germany based American who had been as a teenager in the security staff team at Woodstock. He had done a couple of interviews for local German TV stations in the last couple of days and has published a funny and touching blog about his stay at Woodstock. (4 parts , the last one should come online today)

Excellent link Martin ... I'll certainly read this in the next few days

I found the first and third part, but not the second

EDIT: ooopsie, I found the link on the side menu.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Woodstock was the third festival I attended that summer. The other two are less well known, but at least the stench of garbage and cow manure was absent. Good times....
    Who were the bands at the other 2 festivals, if I may ask?

Who went to the one a few months later, Altamont? Even the Gimme Shelter film is extremely uncomfortable viewing so I can't imagine what it was like to be there for real.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post

Wow, great read!
    I also met the guy in RIO, great bloke and really interesting and overall nice fella,
    I told him I am more envious that he saw Soft Machine in the Jimi Hendrix tour than I was at him being in Woodstock
    Nevertheless a great read, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Outdoor festivals were becoming fairly commonplace, by that time. Here in the PNW we had the Sky River Rock Festival and Lighter Than Air Fairs the first of which was a FULL YEAR before Woodstock. The second was just after Woodstock.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Outdoor festivals were becoming fairly commonplace, by that time. Here in the PNW we had the Sky River Rock Festival and Lighter Than Air Fairs the first of which was a FULL YEAR before Woodstock. The second was just after Woodstock.
    Both before and after Woodstock, NYC had numerous free outdoor concerts in both Central Park and Tompkins Sq, Park in the East Village. I remember seeing the Airplane and Country Joe/Fish in Central Park (separately), and the Blues Project, pre-Lennon Elephant's Memory and Phil Ochs at Tompkins (also separately), and I've probably forgotten a few.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Apparently Santana played there in 1968, a year before Woodstock.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Ri...tival#Line-ups

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    what were the other two? (so I'll know if I don't know of them)
    Laurel Pop Festival, Maryland
    Atlantic City Pop Festival, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You can look it up, but the highlights for me were LZ, Jeff Beck Group (w/Rod the Mod), Savoy Brown (w/Chris Youlden), the original MoI, Jethro Tull, Sly & Co., Johnny Winter, Al Kooper Band, Arthur Brown, Procol Harum (w/Trower), Lothar & the Hand People, Dr. John (in Night Tripper mode), Santana, Byrds (with Clarence White), Cocker, CTA...

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Both before and after Woodstock, NYC had numerous free outdoor concerts
    I went to the Randall's Island Pop Festival in the summer of '70. Basically, a disaster but Hendrix played.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    To those who here who went when did you leave the festival? Did you stay to the end to see Jimi? As I understand it most people were gone by then.
    We stayed and, yes, the crowd was mostly gone but still substantial. We contemplated leaving on Sunday but were offered a ride, but only if we stayed. So, we did and were glad to have done so.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Hmmm I just looked for this on Netflix and don't see it listed.. they have the original Woodstock film listed..
    Oops, sorry Amazon Prime :

https://www.amazon.com/Creating-Wood...gateway&sr=8-1
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

We stayed and, yes, the crowd was mostly gone but still substantial. We contemplated leaving on Sunday but were offered a ride, but only if we stayed. So, we did and were glad to have done so.
    I just listened to the final acts of Woodstock this morning on WXPN, which they were playing in real time + 50 years. Were you woken up by Sha Na Na? What a great choice for an early morning act!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Thanks

I also recall that Ed Wynne's vintage Marshall was picking up RF signals during Ozric Tentacles' Progday set back in 2009, was it? You could only hear it between songs, once he started playing, it would drown out the radio signal.

ut.
    It has happened at ProgDay several times over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yes, we all know.

If we got rid of all the great musicians who were assholes, there wouldn't be a whole lot of others left.
    Not just musicians, but artists, actors, writers, etc.

re: RF interference during live performance

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    It has happened at ProgDay several times over the years.
    I was trying to remember one band that played one of the other years I went, I think it was Arti E Misteri, who was having similar problems with I think either the violinist's amp or the Mellotron or something like that. Isn't there like a radio tower or something like that relatively close to Storybook Farm?

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    They recorded those sessions before Woodstock. Don't think they came out until later, when whoever owned the rights decided to try to make a buck.
    There is a 'Live at the Fillmore 1968' set which seems to be an official Columbia release from 1997.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_Fillmore_1968

I picked it up cheap in a record shop, would have hated to have paid full price for it.

You can look it up, but the highlights for me were LZ, Jeff Beck Group (w/Rod the Mod), Savoy Brown (w/Chris Youlden), the original MoI, Jethro Tull, Sly & Co., Johnny Winter, Al Kooper Band, Arthur Brown, Procol Harum (w/Trower), Lothar & the Hand People, Dr. John (in Night Tripper mode), Santana, Byrds (with Clarence White), Cocker, CTA...
    Now, I'm jealous, coz that's a better line-up than Woostock despite Santana being the only Frisco band on the bill

There were still hangers on after Hendrix as they helped out for the clean-up of the site. Apparently, there was a dude that was killed during te clean-up, squished by a tractor and its trailer brought in to stockpile the litter/junk (he was still sleeping under a pile of tents and sleeping bags.

The dug a big whole, filled it up with the junk, set fire to it and the village of Bethel was smoke-filled for three days. The mayor to Lang & Co (organizers) to court and they were fined 15K$.

The dug a big whole, filled it up with the junk, set fire to it and the village of Bethel was smoke-filled for three days. The mayor to Lang & Co (organizers) to court and they were fined 15K$.
    One of the reasons they took the deal Warner Brothers offered for the movie was due to all the lawsuits and other things they had to deal afterwards. I forget all of what the lawsuits were about, but apparently there were a lot of local people who were pissed off at Lang and his team, including one farmer who claimed the loud music caused his cows to stop producing milk. So they needed money fast to deal with the settlements, fines, etc. So there was no chance for them to "hold out for a better deal", they had to take the deal Warners offered them.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    There is a 'Live at the Fillmore 1968' set which seems to be an official Columbia release from 1997.

I picked it up cheap in a record shop, would have hated to have paid full price for it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKymDp1iILE

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

the only version worth owning - and maybe the only legit one, though they (CBS) waited almost 30 years to release it

Of course I paid full price at release time, but nowadays, it should be cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Apparently Santana played there in 1968, a year before Woodstock.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Ri...tival#Line-ups
    September 2nd, in fact.

the only version worth owning - and maybe the only legit one, though they (CBS) waited almost 30 years to release it

Of course I paid full price at release time, but nowadays, it should be cheap
    Definetely a great perfomance, though the musicians developed fast after this, and I prefer Carlos tone when playing SG with P90'ties.
    Funny, the long drum solo in the end reminds me a lot of Ron Bushy in In-a-gadda-da-vida.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post

As I recall I picked this up in a used CD rack for a few $'s.. I enjoyed it.. haven't listened to it in ages though..

re: RF interference during live performance

I was trying to remember one band that played one of the other years I went, I think it was Arti E Misteri, who was having similar problems with I think either the violinist's amp or the Mellotron or something like that. Isn't there like a radio tower or something like that relatively close to Storybook Farm?
    A very common occurrence when you run a germanium fuzz pedal into a tube amp then turn the guitar's volume knob down - it seems like you get the best AM radio reception ever.