Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone here go to Woodstock 69?

I just watched the documentary "Woodstock - 3 days that defined a generation" 1hour 18 minutes in Danish TV.

I saw the original Woodstock movie when it hit the cinemas in DK when I was around 14 years old.

I'm still floored...

Just got done watching this. Still one of my favorite performances of the show.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

^^^
    Oddly enough CCR was having nothing to do with "hippies", and should've had no place there

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I've seen an interview with Carlos and he stated it was mescaline and his guitar neck was wiggling like a snake.
    ^ You're missing my point. It was undoubtedly presented to him as mescaline. Doesn't mean that that's what it was.

Oh, and LSD will snake wiggle your guitar neck, among other things.
    Yup, but Carlos and a couple of guys in the band had Mexican connections

It was difficult to find later on in the 70's & 80's (personally, I only found it thrice), and by then it wasn't safe, because of the cutting

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Point taken. Does anyone know exactly when Santana inked their deal with CBS? Anyone know when the Woodstock guys agreed to take them on, so they could get the other San Fran superstars onto the bill? I

At any rate, my point was, Santana were an unknown band to anyone outside of the Bay Area, and it was only because of Bill Graham's insistence on the package deal that they got on the bill.
    Weren't there many bootlegs already circulating of their live concerts before Woodstock??

I mean there were tons of illegit releases featiring early Santana with weird-named blues tracks like Fried Neckbones and Homemade Jam?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I'm still floored...
    It's more the 50th Anniv of Woodstock crazyness that is flooring me...Belgian state chains are all over it since the early summer, and not just the cassic rock (it's even spilled onto the classical music radio).
    But then again last year, the late springtime and early summer was taken over by the 50th annicv of May 68 and the previous one wxas all over Haigth-Ashbury and Monterrey... but not like Woodstockstation.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

From what is available footage, my 3 top favorites are
    Hendrix
    Santana
    Sly and the Family Stone

but also these left a big impression
    Ten Years After
    The Who
    Mountain (is there any footage, or is it only sound?)

Mountain (is there any footage, or is it only sound?)

Some of the tracks on the Woodstock II album were not recorded at Woodstock, BTW.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

The fat man sounds great!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Gutsiest guitarsound ever!

Just got done watching this. Still one of my favorite performances of the show.

The whole CCR set at Woodstock is killer. John was on fire. Susie Q is really intense. I have been listening to the whole new 38 cd set in order over the past few days. I am up to great Joe Cocker performance...9 acts to go. The producers did a great job with the sound on this set. They did apparently "tune up" the horns on the BS+T set but mostly they went with a less is more approach and used very little compression in the mixing and mastering.

Too bad they already sold out the set and it's already going for thousands.

Gutsiest guitarsound ever!
    My favorite guitarist. There's something about his playing that goes right through me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Weren't there many bootlegs already circulating of their live concerts before Woodstock??

I mean there were tons of illegit releases featiring early Santana with weird-named blues tracks like Fried Neckbones and Homemade Jam?
    They recorded those sessions before Woodstock. Don't think they came out until later, when whoever owned the rights decided to try to make a buck.

^Yeah, those didn't come out until years later.

A few people on Hoffman and Twitter raving about The Keef Hartley Band, whose set has never been heard before. I never thought of them/him as 'obscure' at all! He was in John Mayall's bands for a fair few albums, then his own band recorded lots of albums for Deram- most of which are still available on CD. Halfbreed in particular is regarded as a bit of a cult classic. Whereas the likes of Quill, Sweetwater and Bert Sommer I really know nothing about other than they were at Woodstock!

This is even more strange: 'Forgotten': Tim Hardin, Mountain, Incredible String Band, Melanie???

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...sary-2019.html
    Last edited by JJ88; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:17 PM.

One thing that strikes me is how much older the 20 somethings in the Woodstock film look than today's 20 something millennials. The people in the film are my parents' age.

Another thing that strikes me is if Santana had crashed and burned, not only would they have gone nowhere, there likely wouldn't have been a Journey either. At least not one anyone's heard of.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    People would think that he's just good fun.

I was 11 years old in 1969. I saw the film and had both volumes, the albums (because of older brother). I really liked vol.2 Some great jams by Jimi and also Mountain, Blood of The Sun. My metallic tendencies started there.7

PLEASE don't get me started on Leslie Weinstein. Some here know my personal pre-Mountain Vagrants-era Queens, NY story with the principals being Leslie, me and my then-wife, as well as his more sober bandmates who prevented him from probably killing me after I had pushed him away from my wife, who he seemed to be smitten with (the fact that she was 6'0" in flats probably appealed to him).

Can he play guitar...... duh!

Is he singularly one of the biggest assholes I have encountered in my 75 years.....YUP!

Oh yeah, at Woodstock when Mountain was onstage, then-wife and I regaled all who would listen with that story.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Geezer, I know you hate Leslie West. I once met a musician from a famous band who disrespected me and I came this close to telling him to blow me. But I like Mountain. Great heavy band.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Yeah, those didn't come out until years later.

A few people on Hoffman and Twitter raving about The Keef Hartley Band, whose set has never been heard before. I never thought of them/him as 'obscure' at all! He was in John Mayall's bands for a fair few albums, then his own band recorded lots of albums for Deram- most of which are still available on CD. Halfbreed in particular is regarded as a bit of a cult classic. Whereas the likes of Quill, Sweetwater and Bert Sommer I really know nothing about other than they were at Woodstock!
    I've heard a bit of Sweetwater as they were on some Warners promo LPs I have. Have heard of Hartley (and of course know some of his players from other bands, like Gary Thain in Uriah Heep) but have never heard his band.

Leslie went all the way in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I once met a musician from a famous band who disrespected me and I came this close to telling him to blow me.

Some of the tracks on the Woodstock II album were not recorded at Woodstock, BTW.
    Kinda like the Glastonbury Fayre album, then, yes?

A few people on Hoffman and Twitter raving about The Keef Hartley Band, whose set has never been heard before. I never thought of them/him as 'obscure' at all! He was in John Mayall's bands for a fair few albums, then his own band recorded lots of albums for Deram- most of which are still available on CD.
    Ya know, I've never heard Hartley. Apart from him working with John Mayall, really the only thing I know about him is that Gary Thain was his bassist, before he joined Uriah Heep.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Blow me.....

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    One thing that strikes me is how much older the 20 somethings in the Woodstock film look than today's 20 something millennial's. The people in the film are my parent's age.
    Maybe because they had to grow up faster?? Some "won" a lottery.....a rifle....and told to be cannon fodder. They saw political and religious leaders assassinated. They still had Air Raid drills from a real nuclear threat.

Twenty-somethings today worry that their download speeds are insufficient.....Mom didn't buy the Crunchy JIF this week....and their low Fortnight Score.....

(sorry....was at a Moraine concert last night in Belltown....a neighborhood in Seattle and I saw the parade of Twenty-somethings staggering into 2nd Avenue, puking in the gutter....and yelling about.....the ones that weren't staggering were begging for change)

DAMMIT! they better Stay Off My Lawn!.......

Oh....and I was 9 during Woodstock.....

(...and I even came "that close" to the TOS on politics and religion....said Agent 86!)
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Geezer, I know you hate Leslie West. I once met a musician from a famous band who disrespected me and I came this close to telling him to blow me. But I like Mountain. Great heavy band.
    Yes, we all know.

If we got rid of all the great musicians who were assholes, there wouldn't be a whole lot of others left.

Woodstock was the third festival I attended that summer. The other two are less well known, but at least the stench of garbage and cow manure was absent. Good times....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I watched an excellent documentary titled Creating Woodstock (2019) on Netflix last night .

I was seven in 1969 and couldn't afford a ticket, but was anyone there?
    Hmmm I just looked for this on Netflix and don't see it listed.. they have the original Woodstock film listed..