Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steve Hackett to release Live BluRay with Orchestra

Received mine today. While it did have a cover with the 3 printed sticker type things on them, this was just a piece of single paper that was on the top of the digipak itself. The actual cover is clean without any stickers. Maybe JKL's was still shrink-wrapped?? Steve signed the cover of the booklet inside. Looking forward to watching and listening to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Received mine today. While it did have a cover with the 3 printed sticker type things on them, this was just a piece of single paper that was on the top of the digipak itself. The actual cover is clean without any stickers. Maybe JKL's was still shrink-wrapped?? Steve signed the cover of the booklet inside. Looking forward to watching and listening to this one.
    Mine just arrived today on the West coast USA. Ordered from Steve and I have the same unit as SRS....no stickers on the actual cover. Mailed 10/25....Arrived 11/4 pretty good from the UK to Washington State.

Just got a TV last week (FREE 60" Flat Screen) and was finally able to hook up my Sony BR Player. (Last bought a TV in 1995 and thus...no digital set) I hear the BR is in COLOR! .....Oh.....and GIT OFF MY LAWN!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Mine just arrived today on the West coast USA. Ordered from Steve and I have the same unit as SRS....no stickers on the actual cover. Mailed 10/25....Arrived 11/4 pretty good from the UK to Washington State.

Just got a TV last week (FREE 60" Flat Screen) and was finally able to hook up my Sony BR Player. (Last bought a TV in 1995 and thus...no digital set) I hear the BR is in COLOR! .....Oh.....and GIT OFF MY LAWN!
    Congrats on hooking up your new system.
    Any personal reviews of this concert would be highly appreciated. I'm especially interested in how the mix sounds.
    The YT videos I watched seemed to focus more on the orchestra music in the mix than the band, and I would prefer a better blend between the two.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

After watching the whole Blu-Ray, the orchestra doesn't take too much place, not enough to my taste... , but maybe it's going to be too much for some. I only listen to the DTS 5.1 HD master audio, it's even less efficient than other previous recent releases. You only hear the crowd in the surrounds. I am going to watch in stereo in the future.

Got mine and immediately watched the Blue ray; I think Jonas gets more screen time than Steve but that's my impression. The Genesis material is far more polished than the previous live releases specially the Supper's Ready finale.
    I agree that the orchestra is barely felt and does not have a major musical impact, IMHO Dance on a Volcano was not the bombastic orchestral concert opener many other Genesis songs would have been like "Eleventh Earl of mar" for example. I also feel "Inside and Out" was a huge miss it is what it is as they say...

But of all the Genesis Revisited live releases, this no doubt in my appreciation is the best one of the bunch in video and audio quality.

I haven't watched the Blu-Ray yet but have listened to the CDs several times. The orchestra seems to be there mostly as an extra layer of depth to the overall sound. There are some occasional orchestral flourishes but not a whole lot of huge risks in the arrangement of the songs. For instance they didn't give any of the iconic keyboard solos to the lead violin player. That would have been interesting! Still its a great listen and the orchestra did add power to songs like The Steppes and Shadow of the Hierophant - Blood on the Rooftops also sounded beautiful with the orchestra backing.

Extra credit for the great packaging, 2 cd and 1 blu-ray in a digipak - perfect!

Since Steve never seems to tour near me I am very thankful for this live series over the last few years. Hopefully it continues with the current Selling England tour (anyone know if any of the UK shows are being filmed?)

Looking forward to watching the video soon

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Nice balanced review SRS. Mine arrived a few hours ago, including a nice autograph (I have so many though). I look forward to listening the CDs and watch the DVD.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I received my Blu Ray and have enjoyed a first watch and listen. The DTS mix sounds good on my home theater and I may try just the stereo mix on another view. Great performance as usual for Steve and band. I agree with the other comments that the orchestra was a nice touch but did not really add too much to the arrangements. Nad's vocal performance is excellent and I really like how he can stylistically capture both Gabriel and Collins in his delivery. I can see why Inside Out pre-released Afterglow as a teaser. I think it is Nad's best performance overall and I suspect that because John Wetton had done this so well as a guest vocalist for Steve on an earlier tour, that he needed to raise his game. Just superb in my opinion. Harmony vocals also well done throughout. Truly an enjoyable concert experience. I've seen Hackett live and on all his prior DVD/Blu Rays of Genesis Revisited and I agree that this is the best overall.

I watched the DVD with my youngest son (18) and we both really enjoyed the concert. i liked it that the orchestra was in the background. I'm just amazed at how powerful Steve's playing is at his age. Still going strong and an excellent stage presence. The stage set up looked amazing visually. I'm really happy with this purchase. Nice to hear solo music mixed with the Genesis tunes.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Thanks to those who posted reviews on the DVD. I was holding off, but based on these reviews here and elsewhere I think I'm going to order it.
    One question, Amazon shows there are 4 discs, discs 1 and 2 are cd versions, but they list discs 3 and 4 which are obviously the dvd(blu-ray?) version.
    Why are there 2 dvd discs?
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Thanks to those who posted reviews on the DVD. I was holding off, but based on these reviews here and elsewhere I think I'm going to order it.
    One question, Amazon shows there are 4 discs, discs 1 and 2 are cd versions, but they list discs 3 and 4 which are obviously the dvd(blu-ray?) version.
    Why are there 2 dvd discs?
    I only received 3 discs in total, the third being the DVD.

Amazon gets disc counts wrong all the time. Mine is 2 CDs + a blu-ray.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I only received 3 discs in total, the third being the DVD.
    thanks for answering my question, that's what I thought too.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Amazon gets disc counts wrong all the time. Mine is 2 CDs + a blu-ray.
    Ain't that the truth!!!!

Here is the item as shown on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Revis...s%2C174&sr=8-1

I ordered from Amazon US and received a 4 disk set: 2 - CDs, the BluRay & the DVD and the sticker was on the blister wrap, not on the front cover.

Have been listening to both CDs in the car for last two weeks. Really liking CD 2 especially Firth of Fifth and Dancing with Moonlit Knight. The audience is very quiet throughout each song then erupts with thunderous applause as soon as each song ends. So much better & more natural than the fake applause in the recent Yes live DVD.