Thread: Top 10 non-musical things heard on stage at ProgDay

Top 10 non-musical things heard on stage at ProgDay

I figured this probably didn't belong on the main board, but hopefully it's not too off topic...

In honor of ProgDay's rapidly approaching 25th anniversary, here's a list of some of my favorite things I've heard at ProgDay that weren't music. I'm sure as soon as I post this I'll think of a dozen more. Most of this was from memory, so I apologize if I misquoted anyone:

Peter Renfro's "Welcome to ProgDay '97" announcement that included his mnemonic to remember all the band names: "After the Fall, come see David Ragsdale smash a Glass Hammer upside his Smokin' Granny's head because she watched Finisterre on French TV defy Providence by driving a Volare through an Ozone Quartet from Salem Hill with skill and Discipline." OK, it didn't make a lot of sense, but it was still a pretty clever way to start the festival.

Mike Sary at ProgDay '97, with members of Volare sitting in with his band French TV: "I'd like you all to turn on your camcorders and tape recorders..." (someone in the audience yells "You mean turn them off?") "No, turn them ON. Because this is never going to happen again." Also, when French TV's keyboard player arrived about half-way through the set due to car trouble: "Oh look everybody, it's the pizza delivery guy!"

"This is DOG music!" - Carlo Bighetti of A Piedi Nudi when a dog ran up on stage during their 1998 set (an oddly common occurrence during the early years of ProgDay). Samla Mamma's Manna were also interrupted by a dog and said "Well, he just wanted to do his thing..."

Shawn Persinger playing solo between sets in 2001: "You know what would be a lot of fun today? If everyone bought a copy of my CD. Wouldn't that be..." (starts laughing before he can finish the sales pitch). Also, commenting on the fancy kimonos that Ars Nova wore: "I usually dress up nice for the crowd but we're outside and it's raining, so... I did put on a belt."

Lars Hollmer of Samla Mamma's Manna during their 2003 set when their Japanese drummer threw him one end of a cups-on-a-string phone across the stage: "Long distance call from Tokyo". Later, when a baby in the crowd started crying "Why is it only men who cry for Samla, never women?"

Glenn Phillips in 2005, when someone in the crowd yelled "Mike Keneally for president!": "Well, he couldn't do a worse job than the guy we currently have. Hell, this wasp I just killed could do a better job."

"Morglbl, Morglbl, Morglbl!" - Christophe Godin of Morglbl yelling for an encore at their 2007 preshow after sneaking out the back door of Local 506, running around the block, coming in the front door and slipping into the back of the audience.

Then there's the amazing stage crew duo of Geoff Logsdon and Jay Taylor, who have contributed any number of memorable comments over the years.

I can't remember what year or band it was, but Geoff once introduced a band by reciting the entire "There’s no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going..." poem from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in an ever-more-crazed voice.

Jay, following Yeti's 2001 heavy-duty set: "I'm guessing from that performance that the Yeti is an evil, aggressive beast, best to be avoided and possibly an emissary of the Dark Lord."

And the all time winner, Geoff and Jay's intro for Cheer-Accident in 2008. If I remember right, Jay came out wearing a pair of tie-died boxer shorts and a jester's cap and started speaking in tongues. Geoff came out and translated the intro, which included a lot of puns involving Cheer-Accident album and song titles. When they finished, Thymme Jones said "I didn't realize this was going to be the roast of Cheer-Accident."

Honorable mention (because it didn't happen during the actual festival): Carlo Bighetti of A Piedi Nudi improvising a song at the Sunday night pool party after several beers: "Raleigh, Durham, Raleigh, Durham, (falsetto) Chapel Hiiiiiilllll!!!!" Probably had to be there for that one, but people still talk about it 20 years later.

^^^^^^^^

The introduction for Cheer-Accident was a hideous embarrassment, IMO.

It was juvenile and an appalling way to treat invitees.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I wasn't there, but my guess for which band was introduced with the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory poem is Echolyn.

My nomination goes to when Freak Kitchen was on stage and one of the guys from the band said something about how weird it was to play while someone was sitting in the front row reading a book, but that it was totally cool and he got it.

Ars Nova, their 2nd appearance (don't recall the year). Their manager came onstage to announce them, starting with "I am not in band, because I have penis."

All righty then!!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Ars Nova, their 2nd appearance (don't recall the year). Their manager came onstage to announce them, starting with "I am not in band, because I have penis."

All righty then!!
    I remember that bon mot....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

All righty then!!
    An all time classic!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "Uhh, it was one of Wildes'!"*

*Monty Python reference

Who was it who introduced Wishbone Ash by inserting the f bomb into the band's name? I recall there being an official apology, but it was a cool intro.

Probably my favorite thing I heard at ProgDay that wasn't music had to do with David Jackson. When I opened the gatefold of Pawn Hearts, to show the autographs of the other members of the classic quartet lineup of VDGG, he expressed surprise, I think his comment was something like, "Well done, young man! Where did you get those?" Then later in the evening, he told us the story of VDGG's version of Theme One, how VDGG came to record it, how it was a hit in every country in Europe bar the UK, and also Sir George Martin's reaction. It was a great story, well worth hearing.

Another good ProgDay memory, from one that I didn't get to attend, but I did hear Deb Sears interview Glenn Phillips on her radio show, and Glenn told a funny story regarding someone who had him confused with Toad The Wet Sprocket front man Glen Phillips.

I also remember Ed Wynne's ancient Marshall picking up stray radio signals during Ozric Tentacles set.

I remember one year, I think it was the year Wishbone Ash played, when it rained (in fact it was they year Wishbone Ash played, because I remember they did a song called Standing In The Rain, which is exactly what we were doing), when at one point in the afternoon seeing lightning off in the distance. I thikn there was someone (Nick D'Virgilio?) who did a solo set acoustic set, and the PA packed up in the middle.

I also remember watching Steve Feigenbaum grooving to Samla Mammas Manna. I could tell he was enjoying their performance.

And there was a woman one year, might have been 2014, who was doing like juggling with these things that were on fire. I forget which band it was, I was just sitting on one of the picnic benches watching her. I forget which band was playing, but I seem to recall someone saying that might have been why I didn't remember much about that particular band. As I recall, there's a video on Youtube or someplace showing me paying more attention to her than the band.

ProgDay related: the announcement that Peter Renfro, I think, did at whichever NEARfest where he referred to ProgDay as "America's longest running two door progressive rock festival", or some such. I just remember he said "two door" instead of "two day".

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

The introduction for Cheer-Accident was a hideous embarrassment, IMO.

It was juvenile and an appalling way to treat invitees.

Eh, I thought it was funny. Maybe a little over the top, but things are usually pretty loose at ProgDay.

I just remembered the bassist from Luz de Riada spotting a couple people having breakfast in the front row during their set and saying "They're out in the field but they don't have to fight for their meals...they can just enjoy them instead."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I wasn't there, but my guess for which band was introduced with the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory poem is Echolyn.
    I think you might be right. Is there some particular reason to associate that poem with Echolyn?
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I also remember watching Steve Feigenbaum grooving to Samla Mammas Manna. I could tell he was enjoying their performance.
    I had been waiting a quarter of a century to see them and never thought it would actually happen. I was stoked.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Steve F. rocking to Doctor Nerve:

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    I think you might be right. Is there some particular reason to associate that poem with Echolyn?
    Listen to "Suffocating the Bloom."
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Steve F. rocking to Doctor Nerve:
    ^ ^ ^ ^

boy knows how to count - even barefoot.

That was a great gig! One of the best times I saw Nerve post the 80s [when they were a bit of a different beast]
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    Listen to "A Little Nonsense" from Suffocating the Bloom.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I had been waiting a quarter of a century to see them and never thought it would actually happen. I was stoked.
    One of my favorite PD performances Such a thrill to hear them live finally.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Listen to "A Little Nonsense" from Suffocating the Bloom.
    Ah, I'm not a big Echolyn fan and don't have that album so...I'll just assume it involves that Charlie & the Chocolate Factory poem somehow.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

The funniest thing I saw was the year Panzerballet was there. They had a minivan where all the doors could be controlled by remote control. I think it was Jan Zehrfeld who was attempting to put some items in the van, while the other members were screwing with him by opening and closing the doors on the van with the remote. This went on for several minutes, and we were rolling with laughter. That year was crazy, with Panzerballet, Morglbl and Freak Kitchen being there.