Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Bungle is back!!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I just wanted to say the new Bungle - Raging Wrath Of The Easter Bunny Demos is one of the most brutally heavy albums I own. If you dig metal this is one of the best there is, lots of other metal bands pale in comparrison.
    A lot of weenies are complaining this ain't Mr Bungle, well yes it is, this album pretty closely recreates the original demos but even more intense.

I dig the holy hell out of it!
    Never realised I was a weenie, I just prefer the main studio albums
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^Mr. Bungle music is definitely not for weenies.

Or Rambos, actually.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I love the album! It's a huge postmodern statement, a big f u to all retro movements in music - by presenting the real thing from the 80's like nothing in music, or in Mr Bungle discography, has ever happened since. It is played with insane energy and dexterity.

Also it is extremely funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I love the album! It's a huge postmodern statement, a big f u to all retro movements in music - by presenting the real thing from the 80's like nothing in music, or in Mr Bungle discography, has ever happened since. It is played with insane energy and dexterity.

Also it is extremely funny.
    Yeah.

For balance, i thought this was fucking dreadful (and i love heavy music as it happens). Generic thrash as lame as anything Patton's been involved with the last 20 years*

I love the original three albums and consider them seperate works of genius in their own right. I didn't need to see the reunion pissed up the wall on this nostalgia trip though, sorry lads.

If anything the new Tomahawk is even duller, oh Mike where did it all go wrong?
    It's a huge postmodern statement, a big f u to all retro movements in music
    By re-recording something from over 30 years ago? Ok.

*making exceptions for Mondo Cane and the JCV collab.

They're doing exactly what they want to do and executing it perfectly. There is an obvious cash grab with all the different editions, merch, etc., and I don't blame them one bit. Trey Spruance has released consistently excellent material to a smaller cult following. So, it's nice to see him leaning into something a little more mainstream for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
    They're doing exactly what they want to do and executing it perfectly.
    This is all that needs to be said really. If some fans love it great, if some don't so what.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I love this Van Halen cover

Banging version of one of my favourite VH tunes. What’s not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    For balance, i thought this was fucking dreadful (and i love heavy music as it happens). Generic thrash as lame as anything Patton's been involved with the last 20 years*

I love the original three albums and consider them seperate works of genius in their own right. I didn't need to see the reunion pissed up the wall on this nostalgia trip though, sorry lads.

By re-recording something from over 30 years ago? Ok.

*making exceptions for Mondo Cane and the JCV collab.
    I think the "new" album is great and valid in the way that Tim and his Merry Consort performed the olde Cardiacs tunes from their youth in order to have proper recordings of them.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Banging version of one of my favourite VH tunes. What’s not to like?
    Mike even does a pretty faithful job handling DLR's screams.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I think the "new" album is great and valid in the way that Tim and his Merry Consort performed the olde Cardiacs tunes from their youth in order to have proper recordings of them.
    Good comparison. Given that these Bungle songs were never properly recorded, I’m definitely happy to have them.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Mike even does a pretty faithful job handling DLR's screams.
    Dunn does a pretty good job supporting Patton on that one, too.

[/SIZE]
    Man, people hate the new Tomahawk album.

I talked to a buddy who is a huge Patton fan about this a few weeks back. Maybe I’m missing something, but it sounds like the next Tomahawk record to me. I mean, it’s fine. Mit Gas is better, but that because Mit Gas is nearly perfect. But the new one?

It’s fine.

Everything is fine.

I do wish they could find a way to bring Rutmanis back (as much as I love Dunn’s playing).

To expand a little on my earlier post, i was a rabid Patton fanatic in my younger days and his work with Bungle (esp Disco Volante) and Fantomas, not to mention Ipecac records and his collabs and namechecks for the likes of Zorn, Ruins, Boredoms, Morricone, Messiaen etc opened up a multitude of doors to other (non-metal) musics and really led to me exploring proggy and/or abstract things in the first place, so i'd consider him highly influential on my own developing musical tastes and for that i'm deeply thankful. I just wish he'd do something that suprised me again, given how much i used to look forward to every new project he was involved in. It feels like he's spread himself too thinly over recent years.

Also, 20 years of lame music was something an exaggeration. He's done some good stuff, but i think the last thing that really blew my head off was Suspended Animation from 2005.

Fair enough if you get something from it though, The reviews seemed almost universally positive for reasons that are clearly beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie
    I'd agree in theory, although i'd argue Tim's early scratchings are infinitely better than teenage Bungle's (admitedly technically inpressive) Slayer worship. Cardiacs practically had their own sound straight from the beginning. It doesn't sound frozen in time from the 80's/70's.
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Man, people hate the new Tomahawk album.

I talked to a buddy who is a huge Patton fan about this a few weeks back. Maybe I’m missing something, but it sounds like the next Tomahawk record to me. I mean, it’s fine. Mit Gas is better, but that because Mit Gas is nearly perfect. But the new one?

It’s fine.

Everything is fine.

I do wish they could find a way to bring Rutmanis back (as much as I love Dunn’s playing).
    "Fine"? ouch
    They never bettered the first record imo. Mit Gas was an ok retread with some good moments and with Anonymous they at least tried to do something different. The last couple have been totally bland to my ears, almost Foo Fighters bad (or should that be Wolfmother? ), ditto Dead Cross and the Bungle thrash stuff. I'm also sick of him using Dunn and Lombardo on everything he does now.

Good call on Rutmanis, who was also a former member of Melvins and the properly superb noise rock band The Cows. I have no idea if he's still working or not.

I'll never understand why some people spend so much time and effort trying to justify things they don't like... Life's too short for that.

Ok sorry. It's shit. Total shit.

Patton smells.

They all do.

Quote Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
    I'll never understand why some people spend so much time and effort trying to justify things they don't like... Life's too short for that.
    I think it's just fun to have discussions about the music we like (and sometimes don't like).

Frank's comment about Cardiacs is spot-on. I wouldn't have thought of it unless this discussion had taken place.

And I don't necessarily disagree with Loosefish's assessment of Patton's recent work. Nothing he's doing right now is surprising. The "holy shit--where did that come from" factor is missing. (For the most part. The new Bungle album wasn't all that surprising given that I've heard those tunes, and he'd mined similar territory with Dead Cross. The tunes are still awesome, though. There are a few "wow" moments on the last FNM album--"Matador" and "Motherfucker" are top-five FNM tunes in my book--,but FNM has never felt like a Patton project in the way some of these other albums do.)

But that doesn't mean I don't love his work.

Iron Maiden has effectively played the same music for the past thirty years or so, and I love every minute of it (I mean, not the Blaze albums; never the Blaze albums).

Good call on Rutmanis, who was also a former member of Melvins and the properly superb noise rock band The Cows. I have no idea if he's still working or not.
    His work on Hostile Ambient Takeover is awesome! But, yeah, I don't know what he's doing anymore. I know he had some personal issues which lead to his dismissal from Melvins (I believe this is referenced in the Melvins doc that came out a few years back).

I think it's just fun to have discussions about the music we like
    Agreed!

(and sometimes don't like).
    Disagreed!

Music is subjective. There is no good reason to show up on a music thread and repeatedly post about why I don't like it. There are excellent bands like Rush, Radiohead, etc. that made music I don't enjoy. Why would I waste my time going into threads from those albums to post multiple times about why I don't enjoy them?

It's even worse when it's posted like an objective statement:

Tim's early scratchings are infinitely better than teenage Bungle's (admitedly technically inpressive) Slayer worship.
    GTFO with that mess. Really? "Infinitely better"?

And actually, I haven't done all the math, but I'm pretty sure Tim was in his late teens for the early Cardiacs stuff. The Bungle guys were like 16 for Raging Wrath. OU818 was their late teens - and that material is similarly adventurous to the early Cardiacs stuff.

I'll post where i like thanks

Multiple times
    It was twice actually (and the third was a jokey reaction to your dottiness)
    It's even worse when it's posted like an objective statement
    Erm... it wasn't. I was explaining what i didn't like about it and that i've spent years listening to Patton so am hardly a newcomer to his stuff. It also adds balance to threads that would otherwise be full of folk saying "yes; i agree it's great" about everything. What Polmico said basically. I'm not stopping you from liking it.
    GTFO with that mess. Really? "Infinitely better"?
    Yep, can't explain why though. Not allowed

You seem to get off being negative and arguing. Sounds like a very unpleasant existence.

It's part of my British heritage i'm afraid.

Tell you what, i just started a new thread, you can go and take a dump on it if you want

I'm fine with the negative, especially if it's coming from people I trust about music I don't know.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm fine with the negative, especially if it's coming from people I trust about music I don't know.
    I guess, if you trust people who say it's "fucking dreadful (and i love heavy music as it happens). Generic thrash" while most other people who like metal are saying it's very authentic, complex, brutal, and well-executed.

So you're telling me who I should listen to, right, got it.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So you're telling me who I should listen to, right, got it.
    The opposite, in fact. I'm saying maybe you should decide for yourself...

I swear, this forum is one of the worst for people being pretentious and arguing about nothing.