Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alice Cooper band

Listened to Titanic Overture
    What a vibe , what a great melody
    Too bad its so short- could have been further debeloped
    No idea how they recorded this tune

The greatest tune of ACB, IMHO, was "I Love the Dead".

Supposedly necrophiliac; its immense power occured to me when I saw it applied as a metaphor in a German (or Swiss/Austrian, I can't quite recall) documentary on press ethics. I also remember Vincent Furnier himself alluding to an obvious allegorical interpretation of that song, partly (IIRC) in ghastly retrospective light of the reports on the 'Candyman' (Dean Corll and Elmer Wayne Henley) newsreels of that very same year - the serial killer phenomenon all but fresh and difficult to present for picture medias of the day.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Generation Landslide was always a favorite

Perfect social commentary after Nixons 1972 landslide.

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Dennis Dunaway was great - great basslines lots of presence

Alice/Vincent will NOT do the darker material today. He's returned to his preacher's son, Evangelical Christian roots, and no longer believes in his more controversial music.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Easy Action still sounds great. Lovely acid rock, and a very underrated album. This features Michael Bruce on lead vocals....

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Generation Landslide was always a favorite

Perfect social commentary after Nixons 1972 landslide.

video]
    Agree, one their all time great tracks.

I was reading a book a couple years ago and a 70s promoter was asked about which the best bands were. He named a couple of British acts with the caveat that on a bad night they could be a disaster but on a great night they were beyond transcendent. But he also said that night after night, the most consistent was Alice Cooper, at least up through the Billion Dollar Babies tour (ahem, Buxton). Every show they hit their cues, delivered with passion, and didn't veer wildly off course. And managed to recover enough from the post-concert bacchanal to do it again on the next show.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by saulgoodman View Post
    The first 4 are by far my favorite-"Pretties for You", "Easy Action", "Love it to Death", and "Killler"
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Here in the Phoenix area, it's state law and city ordinance that one must be an Alice Cooper fan.
    Does he play golf with the ghost of Gerald Ford?
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Alice/Vincent will NOT do the darker material today. He's returned to his preacher's son, Evangelical Christian roots, and no longer believes in his more controversial music.
    Songs such as Ballad of Dwight Fry, I Love the Dead, Dead Babies and Cold Ethyl have been in the setlist quite recently. He doesn't have a problem with the dark horror songs, but the ones that he thinks glorify irresponsible sexual behaviour such as Spark in the Dark (no great loss there, as far as I'm concerned).

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    Songs such as Ballad of Dwight Fry, I Love the Dead, Dead Babies and Cold Ethyl have been in the setlist quite recently. He doesn't have a problem with the dark horror songs, but the ones that he thinks glorify irresponsible sexual behaviour such as Spark in the Dark (no great loss there, as far as I'm concerned).
    Doesn't "Cold Ethyl" fit that description?
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Does anyone know when the ACB band started being supplemented by hired guns both in the studio and live? I heard that they didn't even have Glen Buxton's guitar turned on for the Billion Dollar Babies tour. He looks totally wasted in the cover shots, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Does anyone know when the ACB band started being supplemented by hired guns both in the studio and live? I heard that they didn't even have Glen Buxton's guitar turned on for the Billion Dollar Babies tour. He looks totally wasted in the cover shots, too.
    I think School’s Out was the first time

I know Rick Derringer plays on parts of "Killer." "Under My Wheels," specifically.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

I currently give guitar lessons in what used to be the Alice Cooper mansion/studio in Greenwich Ct.

All of the classic albums were recorded there, and the mansion had high cathedral ceilings to accommodate all the stage props.

The mansion burned down years ago but the studio/carriage house is now a beautiful estate.

I was told the landscapers are still finding beer cans and whiskey bottles in the back yard after all these years.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

"Rick Derringer is guesting on Killer and only on a couple of tracks. Glen Buxton still plays on the subsequent Alice Cooper albums although Rick Derringer again guests on School's Out although he is uncredited. Rockin' Reggie Vincent and Steve Hunter guest on School's Out and Marc Bolan Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner guest on Bilion Dollar Babies although Bolan is uncredited.
    Glen Buxton was in very poor shape physically during the recording of Muscle Of Love and while he features on the cover he Does Not play on the album with the solos being handled by Michael Bruce, Dick Wagner and the Cooper band live guitarist Mick Mashbir also featuring. Also during the Bilion Dollar Babies tour the front of house sound guy was told to list to what Glen was like on a night by night basis and if he wasn't making it to cut him out of the FOH mix.

Following Muscle Of Love the band decided to record solo albums. Alice did Welcome To My Nightmare. Neil did Platinmum God and Michael did In My Own Way. The next Alice Cooper album as in Band album was meant to be what turned out to be Battle Axe but despite Alice agreeing to record one final album with the band he changed his mind and refused to come back and record the album with the band.If he had returned to the band and contributed to the album it may well have turned out to be a good group album

At this point Glen Buxton would Not have featured in the band due to his problems. Michael Bruce said that after what Alice went through on the Billion Dollar Babies tour with Glen he thought he had had enough and just made the decision to go full flow into the theatrical side which subsequently turned into Welcome To My Nightmare. When Michael saw the pre production rehearsals for the Nightmare show he knew that band was finished. What he said was in effect that Alice had kind of reinvented the wheel only without the original band. "

Anyone notice the Mellotrons on Hello Hooray ?
    or the horns on Elected
    Strings on Desperado and Halo of Flies
    great arrangements
    Last edited by Udi Koomran; 4 Days Ago at 02:46 PM.

^^ I believe courtesy of Bob Ezrin?