Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alice Cooper Band

Listened to Titanic Overture
    What a vibe , what a great melody
    Too bad its so short- could have been further debeloped
    No idea how they recorded this tune

The greatest tune of ACB, IMHO, was "I Love the Dead".

Supposedly necrophiliac; its immense power occured to me when I saw it applied as a metaphor in a German (or Swiss/Austrian, I can't quite recall) documentary on press ethics. I also remember Vincent Furnier himself alluding to an obvious allegorical interpretation of that song, partly (IIRC) in ghastly retrospective light of the reports on the 'Candyman' (Dean Corll and Elmer Wayne Henley) newsreels of that very same year - the serial killer phenomenon all but fresh and difficult to present for picture medias of the day.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Generation Landslide was always a favorite

Perfect social commentary after Nixons 1972 landslide.

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Dennis Dunaway was great - great basslines lots of presence

Alice/Vincent will NOT do the darker material today. He's returned to his preacher's son, Evangelical Christian roots, and no longer believes in his more controversial music.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Easy Action still sounds great. Lovely acid rock, and a very underrated album. This features Michael Bruce on lead vocals....

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Generation Landslide was always a favorite

Perfect social commentary after Nixons 1972 landslide.

video]
    Agree, one their all time great tracks.

I was reading a book a couple years ago and a 70s promoter was asked about which the best bands were. He named a couple of British acts with the caveat that on a bad night they could be a disaster but on a great night they were beyond transcendent. But he also said that night after night, the most consistent was Alice Cooper, at least up through the Billion Dollar Babies tour (ahem, Buxton). Every show they hit their cues, delivered with passion, and didn't veer wildly off course. And managed to recover enough from the post-concert bacchanal to do it again on the next show.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by saulgoodman View Post
    The first 4 are by far my favorite-"Pretties for You", "Easy Action", "Love it to Death", and "Killler"
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Here in the Phoenix area, it's state law and city ordinance that one must be an Alice Cooper fan.
    Does he play golf with the ghost of Gerald Ford?
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Alice/Vincent will NOT do the darker material today. He's returned to his preacher's son, Evangelical Christian roots, and no longer believes in his more controversial music.
    Songs such as Ballad of Dwight Fry, I Love the Dead, Dead Babies and Cold Ethyl have been in the setlist quite recently. He doesn't have a problem with the dark horror songs, but the ones that he thinks glorify irresponsible sexual behaviour such as Spark in the Dark (no great loss there, as far as I'm concerned).

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    Songs such as Ballad of Dwight Fry, I Love the Dead, Dead Babies and Cold Ethyl have been in the setlist quite recently. He doesn't have a problem with the dark horror songs, but the ones that he thinks glorify irresponsible sexual behaviour such as Spark in the Dark (no great loss there, as far as I'm concerned).
    Doesn't "Cold Ethyl" fit that description?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Does anyone know when the ACB band started being supplemented by hired guns both in the studio and live? I heard that they didn't even have Glen Buxton's guitar turned on for the Billion Dollar Babies tour. He looks totally wasted in the cover shots, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Does anyone know when the ACB band started being supplemented by hired guns both in the studio and live? I heard that they didn't even have Glen Buxton's guitar turned on for the Billion Dollar Babies tour. He looks totally wasted in the cover shots, too.
    I think School’s Out was the first time

I know Rick Derringer plays on parts of "Killer." "Under My Wheels," specifically.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I currently give guitar lessons in what used to be the Alice Cooper mansion/studio in Greenwich Ct.

All of the classic albums were recorded there, and the mansion had high cathedral ceilings to accommodate all the stage props.

The mansion burned down years ago but the studio/carriage house is now a beautiful estate.

I was told the landscapers are still finding beer cans and whiskey bottles in the back yard after all these years.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

"Rick Derringer is guesting on Killer and only on a couple of tracks. Glen Buxton still plays on the subsequent Alice Cooper albums although Rick Derringer again guests on School's Out although he is uncredited. Rockin' Reggie Vincent and Steve Hunter guest on School's Out and Marc Bolan Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner guest on Bilion Dollar Babies although Bolan is uncredited.
    Glen Buxton was in very poor shape physically during the recording of Muscle Of Love and while he features on the cover he Does Not play on the album with the solos being handled by Michael Bruce, Dick Wagner and the Cooper band live guitarist Mick Mashbir also featuring. Also during the Bilion Dollar Babies tour the front of house sound guy was told to list to what Glen was like on a night by night basis and if he wasn't making it to cut him out of the FOH mix.

Following Muscle Of Love the band decided to record solo albums. Alice did Welcome To My Nightmare. Neil did Platinmum God and Michael did In My Own Way. The next Alice Cooper album as in Band album was meant to be what turned out to be Battle Axe but despite Alice agreeing to record one final album with the band he changed his mind and refused to come back and record the album with the band.If he had returned to the band and contributed to the album it may well have turned out to be a good group album

At this point Glen Buxton would Not have featured in the band due to his problems. Michael Bruce said that after what Alice went through on the Billion Dollar Babies tour with Glen he thought he had had enough and just made the decision to go full flow into the theatrical side which subsequently turned into Welcome To My Nightmare. When Michael saw the pre production rehearsals for the Nightmare show he knew that band was finished. What he said was in effect that Alice had kind of reinvented the wheel only without the original band. "

Anyone notice the Mellotrons on Hello Hooray ?
    or the horns on Elected
    Strings on Desperado and Halo of Flies
    great arrangements
    Last edited by Udi Koomran; 08-19-2019 at 02:46 PM.

^^ I believe courtesy of Bob Ezrin?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Killer, School's Out and BDB in particular. The theatrical shock-rock-glam-slam idea was quite arty and coherent with the band back then.

Not so much their ensuing stuff though, and absolutely not the solo stuff. Those 80s releases have to be some of the worst records I've ever owned.
    I'm almost a year late, but I was searching for Dick Wagner and found this thread.

I'm a weirdy beardy but I absolutely *love* those early 80s albums, especially Dada, which I would replace at any cost if my CD ever got scratched. Special Forces and Flush The Fashion are others I enjoy a lot. Zipper Catches Skin is more hit and miss, but overall I'm a huge fan of this 'blackout' period, and I don't really know how to explain why. I completely understand people thinking these albums are shit, but I am not one of them.

The sober albums that followed are considerably less to my taste, with largely 'hair metal' and 'been there, done that' hard rock cliches strewn throughout.

All the early classic period is, of course, great stuff.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm almost a year late, but I was searching for Dick Wagner and found this thread.

I'm a weirdy beardy but I absolutely *love* those early 80s albums, especially Dada, which I would replace at any cost if my CD ever got scratched. Special Forces and Flush The Fashion are others I enjoy a lot. Zipper Catches Skin is more hit and miss, but overall I'm a huge fan of this 'blackout' period, and I don't really know how to explain why. I completely understand people thinking these albums are shit, but I am not one of them.

The sober albums that followed are considerably less to my taste, with largely 'hair metal' and 'been there, done that' hard rock cliches strewn throughout.

All the early classic period is, of course, great stuff.
    For me “Dada” could have been a great album had Alice really followed the concept as it starts out great, but then kind of peters out as it goes along for me. “Special Forces” is really good for what it is, but the album is so short it is almost like an EP. “Zipper” and “Flush” both have their moments, although I don’t think they are great overall albums.

I agree about the hair metal years. Most of those albums are pretty bad, although once he moved beyond that period “The Last Temptation” is one of his best.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For me “Dada” could have been a great album had Alice really followed the concept as it starts out great, but then kind of peters out as it goes along for me. “Special Forces” is really good for what it is, but the album is so short it is almost like an EP. “Zipper” and “Flush” both have their moments, although I don’t think they are great overall albums.

I agree about the hair metal years. Most of those albums are pretty bad, although once he moved beyond that period “The Last Temptation” is one of his best.
    Oh man, not for me! Apart from the lone skipper track (I Love America), it's all gold for me. And the second half has Scarlet And Sheba and of course Pass The Gun Around... man, I love those tracks.

Special Forces is 35 minutes, which is no different from plenty of albums of that period. I'm sure there are Beatles and Van Halen albums shorter than that. And a zillion Italian prog albums, for that matter. However, they could have easily fit Look At You Over There, Ripping The Dust From My Teddy Bear. But I believe I read that Alice didn't want it on the album.

I should revisit The Last Temptation, I must admit I don't recall much of it. And there are albums beyond that which I have never heard in their entirety.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The guitar line-up for Zipper was pretty phenomenal: In addition to Dick Wagner, you also had Mike Pinera and John Nitzinger. Pinera was a veteran of the bands Blues Image, Iron Butterfly, and Ramatam. Nitzinger put out some great although obscure Texas rock lps in the 70's ("Nitzinger", "One Foot In History", "Live Better Electrically"); wrote tunes for Bloodrock; and was the frontman for Carl Palmer's post-ELP band PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M Sary View Post
    Pinera was a veteran of the bands Blues Image, Iron Butterfly, and Ramatam. Nitzinger put out some great although obscure Texas rock lps in the 70's ("Nitzinger", "One Foot In History", "Live Better Electrically"); wrote tunes for Bloodrock; and was the frontman for Carl Palmer's post-ELP band PM.
    Yes, both new how to heavy chop it with the axe...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The Last Temptation is really good, especially if you listen to it alongside the graphic novel Alice co-wrote with Neil Gaiman.

Welcome 2 My Nightmare is my favorite "recent" Alice album though. It captures a lot of the fun spirit of the late '70s stuff, with a great band...and includes Alice's tribute to the Rolling Stones in "I'll Bite Your Face Off". Actually, it's really as much a sequel to AC Goes to Hell as it is to the original Welcome to My Nightmare.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Funny, I loved the Early Cooper, then kind of gave up on him when he went solo. I think I liked the band more than him. Those dual guitars were absolutely the most powerful thing I'd ever heard - The epitome of "Power Rock" to my ears. Even now. You just dont get those fat 2 part leads that need very little behind them to sound huge...

I play I'm 18 and no more mister nice guy live - acoustically and they go over great! I can do a decent Alice on vox, - far better than he can these days... I heard him on a Kim Mitchell interview and Kim started playing a Cooper song on his guitar and Alice could'nt hit the notes and sang like a 5th lower. sounded like his voice was shrapnel. Its strange how he demands such killer musicianship, and he just cant pull his own songs musically anymore. I would still love to see him live - its a bucket list thing.

I still listen to Love it to death in my hot rotation and every song on that album is a keeper - I hate how they gutted the bass part on I'm 18 in the "best of" remaster version. What were they thinking??? - That's the coolest part of the song!

No More Mister nice guy is the ring tone on my phone, has been for nearly a decade. Does that make me a fanboy?

I play in Sedona semi regularly, and believe I've seen him driving thru town on a couple occasions. I've been told he golfs there.