Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinio - TONY BANKS-BANKS VAULT: COMPLETE ALBUMS 1979-1995-7 CD+DVD

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

Your Opinio - TONY BANKS-BANKS VAULT: COMPLETE ALBUMS 1979-1995-7 CD+DVD

Although I own most of Tony Bank's catalogue I decided to buy the Vaults full album Box Set (and DVD) because it was quite reasonable to $50 (USD). I totally enjoy Curious Feeling but have had a hard time getting into the rest of his catalogue. Outside of Curious Feeling, what are your recommendations for albums/songs? I just find that stuff outside of Curious was trying to trying to hard to be a commercial hit. The DVD certainly shows that.

Am I missing something?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just wondering why if you feel this way about all but one album, and already owned them all, you bought the box set? I too though only really enjoy ACF. Is it the remastered one?

One song I do like is the instrumental called Charm from The Fugitive. I always liked the chord changes in that. And on Still, there's a song called something like Rain Showers or Rain Storms that I king of liked.

"Island in the Darkness" from Strictly Inc is a great tune.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Strictly Inc has been out of print for years.....that album is great! Very Genesis in places.....I won’t be getting the box because I already have them all......and I like them all....Bankstatement is probably the weakest though.....
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just wondering why if you feel this way about all but one album, and already owned them all, you bought the box set? I too though only really enjoy ACF. Is it the remastered one?
    I don't own everything and I wanted the Box and all of his CDs plus a DVD. I am open to listening again to his albums to give it a second chance.

I enjoy the 'Still' album quite a bit even though it is somewhat poppy. I think he was unhappy he didn't have a commercially successful solo album like PC or Mike & the Mechanics.

I should add that Tony's classical albums include several gems. I'm going to spin the songs/albums from the box from the recommendations in this thread.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 1 Week Ago at 04:40 PM.

Curious Feeling is pretty darn great and holds up well. Other than that, only his most recent classical release does anything for me. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I enjoy the 'Still' album quite a bit even though it is somewhat poppy. I think he was unhappy he didn't have a commercially successful solo album like PC or Mike & the Mechanics.
    I believe you are correct. But Banks lack of commercial success had more to do with his lack of decent videos and promotion. I don’t think being the face of a band is something he felt comfortable with. The only promotion of his that I remember was a video with him and Fish riding bikes dressed in old time clothing. Smh

Bankstatement had two poppy songs screaming for videos that weren’t made AFAIK. “I’ll Be Waiting” and “That Night”. A missed opportunity. And he had others. It seems that he wanted that success but didn’t want to play that game. IMHO of course
    Last edited by Tangram; 1 Week Ago at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I believe you are correct. But Banks lack of commercial success had more to do with his lack of decent videos and promotion. I don’t being the face of a band is something he felt comfortable with. The only promotion of his that I remember was a video with him and Fish riding bikes dressed in old time clothing.
    The box includes a DVD with 5 or 6 videos. None of them are very strong.

Personally I love the 3 orchestral albums, each one more than the last. As to the others, I really enjoy Still. I find it subtle, well-written melodic rock and prefer it to the last 4 Genesis albums. 'Another Murder of a Day' is the highlight, with 'Back To Back' entirely annoying. 'Red Day...', 'Still It Takes Me...', 'Water Out of Wine', and the middle section of 'Final Curtain' I really like.

'An Island in the Darkness', from 'Strictly Inc' is possibly the finest song of all those albums, and I really enjoy 'The Wicked Lady' soundtrack, the keyboard half.

I wonder how the remaster is of these albums?

From what I've heard, A Curious Feeling- which I love- towers over his other solo output. That album really gets under your skin.

The Fugitive has the novelty of being entirely sung by him...I quite like it, actually, but it's a minor work.

There's all sorts of soundtracks; I do really like the track 'Lion Of Symmetry'. 'Shortcut To Somewhere'- his first collaboration with Fish- came out when Marillion were still really popular, but didn't really sell. ISTR reading somewhere that Fish really rated the later tracks they did together on Still.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    And it wasn't for want of trying. I remember an interview with Steve Hillage where Bankstatement (which he produced) came up and Hillage said it was Banks who wanted to go very 'commercial' with that one. However, I don't think the singers were of the calibre of Paul Young or Paul Carrack.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Outside of Curious Feeling, what are your recommendations for albums/songs?
    An Island In The Darkness, Thursday The 12th, Another Murder Of A Day, Say You'll Never Leave Me, Moving Under, Quicksilver Suite

One song I do like is the instrumental called Charm from The Fugitive.
    Ahhh, with Tony playing an old-school Casio keyboard (really!)
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

One song I do like is the instrumental called Charm from The Fugitive. I always liked the chord changes in that. And on Still, there's a song called something like Rain Showers or Rain Storms that I king of liked.
    I always enjoyed Charm as well. One of Tony's finest moments.

Of the albums I have.
    The Fugitive - This is Love, Thirty Threes
    Soundtracks - The Lion of Symmetry, Quicksilver Suite: Gypsy/Final Chase, Redwing Suite: Kid and Detective Droid
    Bankstatement - Big Man, The Border, Thursday the Twelfth
    Still - Red Day on Blue Street, Another Murder of a Day, Angel Face, Back to Back

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Ahhh, with Tony playing an old-school Casio keyboard (really!)
    It always sounded like that to me (I had one of those little Casiotone things when I was a kid). But I like the combination of that sound and the richer synth sounds he uses on that track.

I rate A Curious Feeling highly, especially the remaster in which you can actually hear - and feel - Chester Thompson's drums. I also have a soft spot for The Fugitive, which I also bought when it came out. Tony's vocals are quirky, to be sure, but the whole thing is charming in its own way (including, of course, the aforementioned Charm). Love the Abacab-like 80s production. I had Soundtracks and Bankstatement at one time but found both of them lackluster, especially the latter. Don't know the other albums. Count me as a big fan of the classical albums, each one a little bit better than the one preceding it. Hopefully, he does at least one more in that vein.

I'm one of the few who really loves "Bankstatement". Alistair Gordon, the main vocalist, sang two songs on my 2017 album "Mr. Sun". He really hit it out of the park.
    I also am very fond of "The Fugitive" with its scaled down production and Banks' Al Stewart type voice.

Some standouts from the two above mentioned albums:
    The Border
    The More you Hide it
    I'll be Waiting
    Man of Spells
    Moving Under
    This is Love

Just got your Mr Sun CD yesterday! Great stuff again!!! Keep it up!
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Just got your Mr Sun CD yesterday! Great stuff again!!! Keep it up!
    I have this CD as well, and love it. It's my favorite Winter Tree album.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I'm one of the few who really loves "Bankstatement". Alistair Gordon, the main vocalist, sang two songs on my 2017 album "Mr. Sun". He really hit it out of the park.
    I also am very fond of "The Fugitive" with its scaled down production and Banks' Al Stewart type voice.
    Some standouts from the two above mentioned albums:
    The Border
    The More you Hide it
    I'll be Waiting
    Man of Spells
    Moving Under
    This is Love
    I'm with you on Bankstatement and The Fugitive. The former is really underrated, IMO, as it still contains some really lovely songs with Tony's unique compositional character. Those songs you listed are some of my favorites from the two albums. That bridge on "The Border" still gives me goosebumps.

Bankstatement is my favorite too! I’ll definitely check out your album as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Bankstatement is my favorite too! I’ll definitely check out your album as well.
    Even though Bankstatement is my least favorite of Tony's, I still like it and rank it higher than 'We Can't Dance'. Even the hit, Throwback, which originally was written more proggy Tony once said (or something to that effect) has a nice middle section. But 'The Border', 'The More I Hide It', 'Diamonds Aren't So Hard', 'That Night' and 'I'll Be Waiting' are all solid songs with a lot of feeling.

I still need to pick up 'Mr. Sun', didn't even know Alistair sang on it. Gotta get out of my bubble here

On the one hand I think it's great that Tony's discography gets the extensive boxset treatment, on the other hand those who will shell out for it are probably the same ones who bought the 4 CD retrospective A Chord Too Far four years ago, so some may feel they are being milked.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.