Thread: Best Sounding Cd Version of (In a Glass House)

Best Sounding Cd Version of (In a Glass House)

Looking for the best Sounding CD version of In a Glass House by Gentle Giant. A friend told me they are all needle drops??? lol
    Thoughts????

I'd say the 2009 remaster on Alucard. Beats the one they did in 2000 IMO. No, they are not all needle drops.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

What he said....that one sounds great!
    So much music....so little time....

I have the RGF one which sounds very good compared to the vinyl and has a fake 3 D cover with a print on the CD. I regret that I didn't bought the first Alucard 3D cover edition with two bonus live tracks. I don't know if it's still available.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

It doesn't seem to be widely available. There's a copy on Amazon for about £27 with P&P. It's an album I'd like to have, but not at that price.

Mine is from the 35th anniversary series from 2005 with the outer slipcase and the CD booklet with the overlay cover effect.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Great album but always sounded like "an icepick in the forehead" to me.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I think the Alucard releases are generally the ones to have.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Great album but always sounded like "an icepick in the forehead" to me.
    Yes, very skimpy harsh and unbalanced sound, and this includes ALL the versions I've heard so far (including the vinyl). This one REALLY would benefit from a good remastering job. But there's even worse: Missing Piece which should have been better named "Missing Bass"... really awful, I'm wondering what were the "sound engineers" doing ?
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 08-14-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I have the RGF one which sounds very good compared to the vinyl and has a fake 3 D cover with a print on the CD. I regret that I didn't bought the first Alucard 3D cover edition with two bonus live tracks. I don't know if it's still available.
    Mint issues can still be found at regular Prices (avg. 15 EUR).

The live Version of the title track is awesome, actually rather an endless guitar solo by Peter G. played at my hometown of Münster.
    But the most interresting part is the total band freakout in the last Minute, one of the weirdest Things I ever heared
    (absolutley adore that really sick Keyboard Sound).

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Mint issues can still be found at regular Prices (avg. 15 EUR).

The live Version of the title track is awesome, actually rather an endless guitar solo by Peter G. played at my hometown of Münster.
    But the most interresting part is the total band freakout in the last Minute, one of the weirdest Things I ever heared
    (absolutley adore that really sick Keyboard Sound).

Great track,
    I saw the 1976 show in Düsseldorf. The second bonus and the first side of Playing The Fool come from this show , still my all time favourite concert.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Looking for the best Sounding CD version of In a Glass House by Gentle Giant. A friend told me they are all needle drops??? lol
    Thoughts????
    I have the Alucard release from 2000 of GG's In A Glass House on CD. Sounds okay to me, however, I've heard that this recording sounds "spiky" to many listeners (despite the format). Unless they do a total remix of the album (which is impossible since the multi-tracks for the album are gone), this is the way the album is going to sound. And I trust that the Alucard & DRT releases are not needle drops.

I have both the RGF and the DRT 35th Anniversary CDs. The only one I ever play anymore is the DRT, which sounds much fuller in the bass and less "spiky" in the treble. Sounds quite good to my ears, it certainly satisfies what I would want from this album given the source available. I've never heard the Alucard CD.

I'd let the RGF CD go for a reasonable price if anyone is interested (PM me).

Bill