Thread: RPWL- Underappreciated?

RPWL- Underappreciated?

If you call them Neo-Prog or whatever, I don't think many bands do what they do as well as they do. Their latest "Tales From Outer Space" continues their run of excellent releases. I have seen them live four times including their early Pink Floyd tribute show and I have been extremely satisfied with their performance every time. They play songs and Yogi lang is an excellent songwriter.

Any love for these guys?

I agree, they are very much underappreciated. Great band, musicians, songwriting and performance = A+++++

I have the RPWL Experience, Beyond Man and Time and a New Dawn on DVD, plus I really like WANTED a lot.
    From the DVD concerts I have, they really put on a great show.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to pick up Tales.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

"Trying to Kiss the Sun" was an album that I loved at the time and still enjoy. It isn't that complex but it has more hooks than a tackle box. To compare it to its contemporaries I reach for that more than any Spock's Beard, any Flower Kings except for disc one of Unfold the Future. Perhaps only Echolyn's early 00s output gets more love from me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    "Trying to Kiss the Sun" was an album that I loved at the time and still enjoy. It isn't that complex but it has more hooks than a tackle box. To compare it to its contemporaries I reach for that more than any Spock's Beard, any Flower Kings except for disc one of Unfold the Future. Perhaps only Echolyn's early 00s output gets more love from me.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Jumped onboard with TTKTS and have enjoyed each subsequent release. Just revisited Stock which is a wonderfully organic sounding compilation of tunes! Underappreciated? Not at chez Rick!

Not sure I would call them underappreciated. They seem fairly highly regarded by most folks here.

Their musical area isn't my usual interest anymore, but when I do get the odd hankering, I like them a bit more than most other bands operating in similar territory.

I personally think Yogi Lang's solo disc "No Decoder" is at least as good as any of the RPWL albums.
    Last edited by battema; 08-12-2019 at 03:11 PM.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

LOVE this band!!! Have most of thei CD’s and The New Dawn DVD, which is excellent! I think their new one is a great follow up to Wanted, which was fantastic IMO.....one of my favorite bands....
    So much music....so little time....

Love the new one so much.
    The Prog Corner

Like Airbag: pleasant listening , some floydish moods, (too) nice production but nothing really strong or memorable, somewhat impersonal music. I have a couple of CD's but can't remember the last time I've played them.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'd say they're underappreciated by me

Rather see them live then listen to an album. I dig there sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Like Airbag: pleasant listening , some floydish moods, (too) nice production but nothing really strong or memorable, somewhat impersonal music. I have a couple of CD's but can't remember the last time I've played them.
    Exactly what I was going to say. I enjoy it while I'm listening but can't remember any of it afterwards.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I used to think they were a little to light weight for me. Wanted something more edgy but as time went on, I found there was much more to them. Their recent out put has been very good.
    The older I get, the better I was.

World Through My Eyes is my favorite. This one, to me, has solid songs throughout. And you get Ray Wilson on Roses. What's not to like.

Absolutely love this band. World Through My Eyes is a masterpiece, and The RPWL Experience isn't far behind. Someone mentioned Airbag, who I also really enjoy, but RPWL have much, much more going on musically-speaking than Airbag.

Yogi's solo disc No Decoder is fantastic too, and he's in the process of making another solo album now!

I'm another RPWL fan since Trying To Kiss the Sun. Great band. 3-Lights may be my favorite tune from them.
    Yeah, Airbag is good too, But you should check out their guitarist too! Bjorn Riis. Some great solo albums.