Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Evolved Music"

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Moondog, Harry Partch, and Sun Ra
    Still good though.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Never stumbled upon anyone dismissing them. And they were a familiar name to me since the early 80s.
    Anyone I have ever played "Art Bears" for totally thought it was horrible. Complete nonsense, out of key, sounds dreadful etc. So it's been dismissed by more
    people I know than people who like it. I am talking about must normal people, not music professional music critics. I like it to some degree. It's interesting to listen to at times, but limited for me also.

^ Progdreamer, the Art Bears (without quotation marks) are - and not in mere fringe circuits - considered a semi-legendary name in avant-garde rock. Not because of any "extremity" of sound, but due to the fact that they emerged from an already established tradition for radical experimentation stemming from a very specific circle of musicians and performers seeking other means and goals than, say, "symphonic" rock. These were not only serious musicians but serious artiists per sé - there were no "rock star" aspirations at play.

By the end of the 70s there were numerous artists following this trail; in the UK, the US, France, Italy, the South Americas and Eastern Europe. Many of these acts would apply plain music- and art theory directly on their source matter, consequently forming an apporach to their medium which had little in common with the overall 'mimesis' of popular music ("prog" included). This all basically started with Zappa, Captain Beefheart and Van Dyke Parks, and it's a trail which still runs to this very day and continues to develop and progress.

Stick around and you'll get to read about countless such artists. They're worth it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Thanks for setting everyone straight. It was absolutely called for. One can never receive too much elevated moral from above; we surely need that to fight off such sickening spectacle as on display in this completely horrible thread.
    You think I actually care about "setting everyone straight"? I made a statement. If you agree, great, if you don't agree, great.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    You think I actually care about "setting everyone straight"? I made a statement.
    What you did was fart into someone else's thread to moralize subjectively on how little the contents of the thread mean to you personally. An act which sometimes works to enhance a discussion, but often doesn't.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

You think I actually care about "setting everyone straight"? I made a statement. If you agree, great, if you don't agree, great.
    You thread crapped. It happens. You got called out for it. It happens.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Animals as leaders shoud be within this scope?

Definitely windows-rolled-up evolved music

Would Ruins or Koenjihyakkei qualify? Some of it sounds pretty alien to me, although its origins can probably be traced (by folks smarter than me).

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Would Ruins or Koenjihyakkei qualify? Some of it sounds pretty alien to me, although its origins can probably be traced (by folks smarter than me).
    Koenjihyakkei should qualify on merits of the name alone. That's an 'evolved' name there!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Progdreamer, the Art Bears (without quotation marks) are - and not in mere fringe circuits - considered a semi-legendary name in avant-garde rock. Not because of any "extremity" of sound, but due to the fact that they emerged from an already established tradition for radical experimentation stemming from a very specific circle of musicians and performers seeking other means and goals than, say, "symphonic" rock. These were not only serious musicians but serious artiists per sé - there were no "rock star" aspirations at play.

By the end of the 70s there were numerous artists following this trail; in the UK, the US, France, Italy, the South Americas and Eastern Europe. Many of these acts would apply plain music- and art theory directly on their source matter, consequently forming an apporach to their medium which had little in common with the overall 'mimesis' of popular music ("prog" included). This all basically started with Zappa, Captain Beefheart and Van Dyke Parks, and it's a trail which still runs to this very day and continues to develop and progress.

Stick around and you'll get to read about countless such artists. They're worth it.
    I pretty much fell in love with Hopes and Fears and Winter Songs from my first listen. Mind you, I had already been eased into the world of Art Bears via Henry Cow (and some other avant-garde extremities like the Cage/Tudor piece I posted above). The World as It Is Today, well...I kind of need to be in the mood for that one, but it is an exceptional work in its own way.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Anything from Tatsuya Yoshida should fit here!

^ THE most weirdo venture by my fave muppet & crew:

Catching up on this subject, which escaped my radar, since I hadn't posted in it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Yeah, definitely a lot of post-jazz, post-electronic, post-avant(?!) stuff going on there.
    Yeah, a lot of stuff that YOU posted seems to go in my pigeonholing of post-rock (I suppose you know of Tarentel or the Constellation record label stable: GYBE8 and so on), which I tend to think encapsulates a lot of "drone" music

Obviously I'm having trouble defining what I mean by "evolved music" so here's another example:
    This Ben Neill had me thinking of minimalism, and more specifically of Terry Riley, until the beat appears in the last quarter of the track.
    I suppose you're well aware of Riley, Glass, etc , and the rest of minimalism, so I won't delve into that.

Hmmm, Teeth of the Sea is new to me. Thanks for the recommendation! They sound pretty interesting so far. They certainly have no lack of self-respect: "Since their formation in 2006, London-based Teeth Of The Sea have metamorphosized into the most adventurous psychedelic rock outfit in the UK. Taking on board influences like Morricone, Eno, Delia Derbyshire, Goblin, and the Butthole Surfers, they’ve arrived at an incendiary sound that marries the aural enlightenment of an avant-garde sensibility with the reckless abandon of trashy rock & roll."

Heh. I just noticed Discogs has them listed as "Krautrock." I wonder how that happens?
    I'd also file them in the encapsulating and all-englobing Post-rock pigeonhole, though I hear the odd Industrial touch in there

Have you heard of 48 Cameras? it was a correspondence project - sending the tapes to each other for their contribution ... a bit like a cadavre exquis - but often worked great. (a few of those dudes were buddies some 20 years ago - I even tinkled a few notes (uncredited) at Calogero's place on their Garlic release - , but we drifted apart)
    https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/48_cameras
    https://48cameras.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Minor snob moment ahead...Supersilent didn't really click for me until I saw it done live. The recordings just didn't quite capture the insane amount of energy put forth from the stage.

https://thethingwithfiveeyes.bandcamp.com/
    I'd agree that often, studio recordings don't capture the live things... I had to see VdGG and GG playing their stuff to actually understand it and love it.

As for the Dutch project 5 Eyes, these Orange Blossom (best encapsulated as "world/trip-hop", IMHO) dudes guys gravitated around the 48 Cameras around the years I was around

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    One more from Skalpel.
    I'd be more curious to listen to the stuff they sampled, though the results sound ok/good, even if I at the path they borrowed to get to destination.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

There are only two kinds of music in the world: What I like and what I don't like. Enjoy your version of it for yourself and ignore all critics. It's music, it ain't some fundamentalist religion.
    I could add music I might like. Besides that I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I could add music I might like.
    Exactly. Tastes change, and evolve as you get exposed to more music.

Exactly. Tastes change, and evolve as you get exposed to more music.
    But if I don't know something and listen to it for the first time, I might decide I like it, don't like it, or it might grow on me (which falls in the category 'music I might like')

Here's a piece of music that has thoroughly evolved...

Sorry, left out the "D"
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

This is as challenging as it gets and is certainly music to listen to when no one else is around who has no conception music like this exists:

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Challenging ≠ evolved. See post #58
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 09-11-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Diamanda Galas--All the Way

Plinth--Music for Small Lighthouses

Dave Clarkson--Music for Lighthouses

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Meh.

One man’s ‘music for windows rolled up’ is another man’s ‘music for pussies’.

Just listen. Don’t categorize. IMO.
    What he said
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...