Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Evolved Music"

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Apart of Supersilent and on a different realm, of interest are their member's Helge Sten recordings as Deathprod. Of which Treetop Drive and Morals And Dogma (on a post-industrial, dark ambient style) are most recommended.
    Yes, very nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by battema
    when I first came in contact with Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble they threw me quite the curveball as well. They're done but the main guy evolved into The Thing with Five Eyes
    Yes, now we're getting somewhere!
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-12-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Add to your "to check" list:

KAMMERFLIMMER KOLLEKTIEF
    DATASHOCK
    FOVEA HEX
    STARGAZER'S ASSISTANT
    TOC (France)
    XENIS EMPUTAE TRAVELLING BAND
    SENYAWA
    DEMDIKE STARE
    BLACK ZONE MAGICK CHANT
    BLAMEFUL ISLES
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

This one is a tough call and they aren't exactly brand new to folks here, but Brandt Brauer Frick comes to mind...techno done sans computers. I'd argue it's process as much as product in a case like this, but I find them pretty impressive:

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Again, repeat from elsewhere but it's awesome and I feel like re-sharing

Anna Meredith. Again, electronica at the core but with a pretty fascinating reconfiguration for live acoustic instruments (I've seen her twice and they're the real deal), plus fun experimenting with doses of minimalism, odd time signatures/syncopation, and more. Also...she gets that music can be wonky, weird but also fun as hell.

The one thing that doesn't fit your initial description though...totally not rolling the windows up for this one. BLAST IT

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Oy, where's me Dramamine?

Evolved=Weird=Avant-garde=Difficult to Listen to?

I still don't quite understand the intention of this thread based upon "Evolved".

For the Avant-Guarde, look no further than the difficult to listen to "Art Bears"
    I have never heard a band of any genre so beloved and dismissed at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Progdreamer View Post
    Evolved=Weird=Avant-garde=Difficult to Listen to?

I still don't quite understand the intention of this thread based upon "Evolved".
    I'm having difficulty defining it myself. I guess it would go something like:

Evolved=Unconventional=Showing many unrelated influences=Music that requires a familiarity with many types of music to appreciate what they composer/band has done?

For the Avant-Guarde, look no further than the difficult to listen to "Art Bears". I have never heard a band of any genre so beloved and dismissed at the same time.
    Art Bears - sans quotation marks - are a household name here at PE, at least with a few dozen prominent contributors. So are pretty much some 200 other artists in a considerably close proximity to their aesthetic, and there's nothing particularly "difficult" about this approach unless you're rather unversed in the annales of progressive rock development from 1968 and on.

Whoever dismisses Art Bears? And on what grounds? Strange.

Unless… I feel zum tightnet Svet pettin' ma crettin outlet.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

For the Avant-Guarde, look no further than the difficult to listen to "Art Bears"
    I have never heard a band of any genre so beloved and dismissed at the same time.
    Never stumbled upon anyone dismissing them. And they were a familiar name to me since the early 80s.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

If we're not looking just for new artists creating genuinely new progressive music, I'd throw Squarepusher into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    If we're not looking just for new artists creating genuinely new progressive music, I'd throw Squarepusher into the mix.
    We are

Never hurts to ask!

Ben Neill is interesting in that regard for me; I agree he would fit our semi-nebulous bill, but I also first encountered him in the late 90's via the fairly awesome album Goldbug. So, there's a time aspect to this I guess...when someone discovers someone for the first time *shrug*

I had a Ben Neill album "Mainspring" back when it came out -- 1980s? -- but it went away when I sold my record collection. I rediscovered him recently, and I think the trip-hop thing he's doing now is new since I knew him (my local CD store had him filed under "Dance"(!))

Been looking for a download of "Mainspring" to refresh my memory. So far unsuccessful.

I haven't got that one, so I'm not sure I can help with that. But both Goldbug and Tryptical from the late 90's are stellar, especially the former.

I'll take the plunge and risk an eyeroll emoticon(.

Skalpel is a duo of Polish musicians/DJ's who put out this cd(Skalpel) about 15 years ago.I dug it at the time, bought the cd and recently dusted it off for a listen.

These guys sample Polish jazz from the 60's/70's.Maybe this'll float yer boat.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    These guys sample Polish jazz from the 60's/70's.
    This is all done with samples? Offhand it sounds like fairly conventional jazz -- NICE jazz -- so no eyerolls necessary. If it's really done completely by two turntablists with no instruments that makes it even more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    This is all done with samples? Offhand it sounds like fairly conventional jazz -- NICE jazz -- so no eyerolls necessary. If it's really done completely by two turntablists with no instruments that makes it even more impressive.
    In interviews they say they use turntables, a PC and samplers.They say they occasionally use keyboards but very seldom.

One more from Skalpel.

Yeah that's nice stuff.

Another "evolved" pocket of musicians (IMO) is the Bill Laswell/Aiyb Dieng/Nicky Skopelitis/Wayne Shorter/Pharoah Sanders/Bernie Worrell/Jonas Hellborg coterie. Some fascinating mashups coming out of that crew.

Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-14-2019 at 10:45 PM.

You must lump Nick Bärtsch Ronin in too?

There are only two kinds of music in the world: What I like and what I don't like. Enjoy your version of it for yourself and ignore all critics. It's music, it ain't some fundamentalist religion.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

^ Thanks for setting everyone straight. It was absolutely called for. One can never receive too much elevated moral from above; we surely need that to fight off such sickening spectacle as on display in this completely horrible thread.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Feel free not to participate if the subject doesn't interest you.

As evolved as I get is Moondog, Harry Partch, and Sun Ra, and that stuff is decades old.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.