Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Horslips - Book of Invasions

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,231

    Horslips - Book of Invasions

    Once again I was reminded of how brilliant this album is when I listened to it yesterday. My one regret that I never saw them live.

  2. #2
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,698
    I've always loved the way they incorporated the traditional "Toss the Feathers" (which I already knew from the Fairport version) into "Sword of Light"--it's glorious when that part comes in.
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,076
    Never heard much else by them but I also enjoy this album. Love the 'Trouble With A Capital T' riff.

  4. #4
    One of my 70's obsessions and a brilliant album. I too regret missing them - all my fault, I opted for my beer league hockey game instead of seeing them at My Father's Place on Long Island! ARRGGHHH. If there's one thing I'd go back in time and tell my younger self, it's, "don't say 'I'll see that band on their next tour'... there may not be a next tour..."

    You know they've regrouped, sort of, and have been somewhat active over the past 10 years? They released a live CD/DVD that covers material from their entire catalog. There's also an official biography, TALL TALES, an amazing labor of love hardcover book.
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    You know they've regrouped, sort of, and have been somewhat active over the past 10 years? They released a live CD/DVD that covers material from their entire catalog. There's also an official biography, TALL TALES, an amazing labor of love hardcover book.
    I'll have to check it out, thanks

    Rick

  6. #6
    It’s my #1 album by them, with The Tain a close second. A very special album, and if you like trad folk sounds mixed with rock, you should check it out.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

  7. #7
    Garden Dreamer...saw that very show...audience for second show was so sparse they invited everyone from the first show to stay and watch...this was the man who built America tour..

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by kayfabe58 View Post
    Garden Dreamer...saw that very show...audience for second show was so sparse they invited everyone from the first show to stay and watch...this was the man who built America tour..

    And the review in Good Times said they were jamming on traditional instruments in the dressing room after the show with fans. I was learning trad tunes on mandolin at the time thanks to these guys and I MISSED THAT!!! AAAARRRGGGHHHHH
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

  9. #9
    There's also a DVD documentary, Dancehall Sweethearts.

    Around 17 years ago I sent scans of all the articles I saved to a Horslips fan site, this was before the band regrouped and had their own official site. These were concert and album reviews from Good Times and Newsday. I just looked and that fan site is gone and apparently so are those articles because I don't think I still have the originals anymore.
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,231
    Listened to Aliens today. Not quite as good as Book but still a good album.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    There's also a DVD documentary, Dancehall Sweethearts.

    Around 17 years ago I sent scans of all the articles I saved to a Horslips fan site, this was before the band regrouped and had their own official site. These were concert and album reviews from Good Times and Newsday. I just looked and that fan site is gone and apparently so are those articles because I don't think I still have the originals anymore.
    That’s a shame


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Member Guitarplyrjvb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northeast Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    659
    This is a really nice album with a heavy Tull vibe. The vocals suffer a bit, but really, they were a solid band that somehow escaped my notice.

  13. #13
    Member Mr.Krautman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    413
    Their best effort, IMO. A brilliant album from a great band.

    This thread shouldn't be in the O.T sub-section, there are many prog elements in their music.

  14. #14
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    6,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Their best effort, IMO. A brilliant album from a great band.

    This thread shouldn't be in the O.T sub-section, there are many prog elements in their music.
    I agree. However, they have many other really good albums too.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,231


    Dig these crazy outfits!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    18
    One of my favourite bands, but for me some of the lyrics are a bit clunky on this one - overall I prefer The Tain and Aliens, although you cannot go wrong with any of their studio albums (not quite so keen on their two official live albums for some reason …)

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Perry View Post
    not quite so keen on their two official live albums for some reason …)
    There’s a boot of a live radio show from NY that’s excellent.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Perry View Post
    One of my favourite bands, but for me some of the lyrics are a bit clunky on this one
    You don't think "I'm your sword of light tonight/Going to scorch you deep inside" is as sexy as they think it is?
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Perry View Post
    (not quite so keen on their two official live albums for some reason …)
    The first one, Horslips Live, had a "signal drop" or something during the recording, according to the band. The second one, "The Belfast Gigs" was too short as a single album.
    There is actually a third live album that accompanies the recent DVD, "Live at the O2". Covers their entire career, best bet for some live Horslips.
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •