Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 13 CD Gong Box Set September 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Yes very much so
    I've ordered it! Quite expensive, but reading some of the reviews blew my mind completely. I do have the Charly cd release of Flying Teapot and it's quite terrible. Oh to finally be able to enjoy both this and the others in great sound, together with all the live material

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    I've ordered it! Quite expensive, but reading some of the reviews blew my mind completely. I do have the Charly cd release of Flying Teapot and it's quite terrible. Oh to finally be able to enjoy both this and the others in great sound, together with all the live material
    I am sure you won't be disappointed. I have had the boxset for more than a month now and, basically, there is not much else I play at the moment. The Roanne concert alone is amazing - why it has never seen the light of day before now is a perfect mystery. I see GAS has sold out of their supply of boxsets and Amazon UK says it only has seven left. If it is true only 3,000 boxsets were made, then I suspect they will soon be in short supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    Get it asap! Really great and fab mastering!
    Got it 27/9 and love it more for each day!

Yes, this is a really great box!

Superb music (as you all know!?), except maybe Shamal - less interesting and charming without Daevid, Gilli, Tim & Steve (though he played a bit as "guest").
    Excellent sound and mastering, too. Perhaps a bit loud, but not a problem to my ears...

As pointed out by calyx in the other thread, the Bataclan concert doesn´t have all tracks that were on the original Mantra release: (post #458)
    https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...highlight=gong

Apparently not in the Universal vaults were/are the Sheffield 1973 concert, and the 1974 concert on "Gong in the 70´s". So, you´ll need those, too!
    https://www.discogs.com/Gong-Live-At...4/master/27854
    https://www.discogs.com/Gong-Gong-In...master/1495534

By looking at the tracklist, you´d think that the "Angel´s Egg" disc is the same as the 2004 remaster, as it has the same bonus tracks.
    However, the new Love Is How Y Make It - 1973 Vocal Mix is NOT the accapella version that was on the 2004 disc.
    Instead it is an alternate mix of the regular album track. I wonder why...

The Roanne 1973 is probably my favourite concert in the box - very intimate in front of a small audience.

Buy before the box is sold out!

Some recent posts about this box on the Hoffman forum mention defective discs, so those who have bought it should try to listen to ALL the discs ASAP.

Just picked up the 2CD "deluxe editions" of "Flying Teapot", "Angel's Egg" and "You". I didn't want to spring for the big box. Of course, the first disc I played was the remastered "Flying Teapot", and it did not disappoint. Best sound quality I've ever heard of this album, vinyl or CD. Not too thrilled with disc two, selections from Bataclan live 1973. The sound quality is better than I've ever heard it before, but I just am not that crazy about the setlist, mostly pre-"Flying Teapot" stuff. Next up will be "Angel's Egg"...

The Mighty Box is truly here and can't believe just how amazing these discs sounds!!! Fantastic job done!! Love to finally be able to hear these albums the way they were intended to. The sound is just so stunning and the Box itself is such a treat. I'm just so frekking happy and overjoyed that I got this. Get it while you can, my friends. Great to see those standalone albums being released outside of it, because every Gong fan has to hear and experience this!!

Well, I've listened to all 3 of the "original trilogy" 2CD deluxe editions. The studio albums sound superb, of course, and the sound quality on the live material on the second disc of each set is fine. One thing I noticed, though: they tended to play the same setlist with few variations, although there were some tracks that allowed for improvisation. That goes for all the Gong live albums I already had before I got these, too. Makes me glad I didn't spring for the box...

I agree, Hour Candle, the sound quality of all of it is excellent, particularly Flying Teapot which always sounded crap until now, even on the original UK vinyl that I used to own (wish I'd kept it now though!) and all the live stuff. My favourite live discs at the moment are 9 and 10, the Marquee show, which has really powerful renditions of the You classics plus Fish Rising highlights and some Shamal too. Brilliant stuff!

I’m about to get this Box. Is Bill Bruford on any of the live gigs?

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    I’m about to get this Box. Is Bill Bruford on any of the live gigs?
    No

Back from my friend Flytomars aka Erez Siag place were at last I have had the pleasure of listening to the You Quad Mixes
    I just want to say that back in 1974 this was my gateway to the Planet Gong - I was 12 and ever since this is my personal favorite album .
    For those who don't me I am a professional sound engineer for more then 30 years and specialize in audio mastering ( I mastered Daevid's swan song - I See You )
    I became aware this album was mixed in quad but never found any details on the circumstances that let to these mixes and why this project was aborted and "lost".
    So upon hearing the news that these mixes will be included in the Love From The Planet Gong I was totally thrilled.
    As you can imagine I was very excited and curious but since I do not own a surround system I had to arrange a listening session at my friend's Erez Siag's place.
    so to cut a long story short - listening to this was an amazing experience!
    Hearing the album in quad reviled some hidden details and surprises but overall the true magic of the experience lays in the listeners immersion in the music. I got a sensation of being totally engulfed and swept into this 3 dimensional presentation of the music I knew so well .
    For me this is in no doubt the highlight of the Box set.
    I encourage all of you Gong freaks who love You and don't dedicated surround system to find a way to listen to this - I assure you its worth the effort.
    Some points I want to share and some to ask for clarifications.
    1) For some reason only side one was mixed in quad - once at Pye studios London ce at Westlake Studios California - To my ears the Pye mix is easily superiour - the mix is much more "creative" and reflects the album's vibe. - why wasn't side B mixed ?
    2) Since side B was not mixed in quad Simon Heyworth preformed the equivalent of audio alchemy stereo to a stunning surround experience - no idea how this was done it left me laughing shaking my head in disbelief - Bravo
    I need to stop now but might add some lines futher
    But believe me boys and girls you need the You Quad mixes - Essential !
    Thank you Tim Blake Steve Hillage Mike Howlett !

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I encourage all of you Gong freaks who love You and don't dedicated surround system to find a way to listen to this - I assure you its worth the effort.
    It would of course be highly unethical to visit your local high-end audio dealer and lead the salesman to believe that you are interested in investing $$$$ in a new surround system, but would need to audition various options with your trusty Gong album first. I would in no way suggest that anybody do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    It would of course be highly unethical to visit your local high-end audio dealer and lead the salesman to believe that you are interested in investing $$$$ in a new surround system, but would need to audition various options with your trusty Gong album first. I would in no way suggest that anybody do that.
    Yeah, but if my experience with You quad ends up being anywhere close to Udi's description, I'd probably end up buying the darn system no matter how overpriced.

And it might be worth it...

I don't know if folks here have been following this, but the price on this box set has been dropping recently on Amazon. They still want over $300 for it on Discogs, but on Amazon, it has dropped several times and is now at $108 (plus $4 shipping and over $8 tax.) Will it continue to go down? Maybe, but with only 7 copies left, I decided not to risk it. Buy or...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ Wow. That is a tremendous price. If I didn't already buy it, I couldn't stop myself from doing so.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

It's from a 3rd party seller... which makes me wonder.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

There seem to be a few of these boxes floating around now (although all seem to be on Amazon). The $108 price from Amazon.com does look good. I have dealt with Zoverstocks before and they are OK, if a bit slow. What puzzles me is that the price for the box in the UK is £106, while $108 converts to £87. Also, Zoverstocks is not selling this in the UK and the price of posting that box is going to be a lot more than $4 (if it were to come from the UK). Perhaps when you try to buy you will be blocked, but at that price I would go for it and see. If all goes well that would be a bargain as the boxset is excellent.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

This is curious. I get that with the pandemic some people might need cash and would sell their used copies, driving down the price, but where do new "new" copies come from? The box has been sold out for several months. And, as above, these are reputable sellers, so I doubt these are pirate copies.

But anyway if you don't have it yet here's your chance!

The Teapot has landed!

And what a cool box set it is. Getting it at the discount price is just icing on the cake.

Still love this boxy set, but wasn't there the rumour of a second box set to come?

Yes, one of those 30 disc, warts n' all live ones?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Just seen this on the Planet Gong site (https://www.planetgong.co.uk/). It is a very large poster of the Flying Teapot album cover. It measures 119cm (nearly four feet) wide by 60cm deep. It looks great. There are only "two dozen in the initial print run". It sells for £16 in the UK (plus lots of postage fees) and can be found in the Bazaar section
    Last edited by Munster; 11-28-2020 at 09:54 AM.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Did you buy one? I was sorely tempted but resisted as I still haven't framed the Gong mandala print I received as a bonus with the Love From the Planet Gong boxset last year. And this poster looks huge (but beautiful). I was just a bit concerned by the warning that only 'two dozen' prints were made, but reckoned that this was well covered by the phrase 'the initial print run' and that more could be printed to meet demand. Hope so.