Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking to expand my prog tastes!

If you like Hammond organ driven prog, you might want to explore the niche that contains a number of bands that were playing in the UK in the early 70s, & between whom a number of band members moved, including: Fields, Greenslade, Quatermass, Rare Bird, Spring, Samurai & Web. There was a thread a while back about this style of music here: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ght=quatermass

There are so many threads from the past that you could mine for treasures - but this discussion is amongst the very richest: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...to-prog-thread
    Last edited by per anporth; 08-08-2019 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I just want to recommend a few recent releases that I really like that you might (or might not) have missed.
    Yes, there are so many wonderful bands around right now that can even be seen live, sometimes. No need to dwell in the past so much. :-)

My recommendation would be Knifeworld:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Yup. What you've listed as owning is pretty much the shallow end of the gene pool. The deeper you dive, the more your horizons will expand.
    C’mon, he listed quite a few that are on the deep end like Univers Zero and Gentle Giant for example. Both members of the diverse Master Prog Race schweinhund!

Many, many great suggestions already made including the greatest: Van Der Graaf Generator and Henry Cow. As usual the incredibly knowledgeable PE crew is all over this but forgot Present. Progfan, if you love Univers Zero you must check out Present!

First off, go listen to all the early Hackett stuff. Your post implies you have it but haven't listened to (much of) it yet.

Next, if you want to try something a bit more adventurous on the jazzy side, check out Hatfield and the North and National Health, both featuring Dave Stewart on keyboard. These are two of the best prog bands, both of which were unfortunately very short-lived.

I'd also recommend you start checking out Zappa. Start with One Size Fits All and You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 2. If you like what you hear, check out other Zappa from the early 1970s all the way up through Joe's Garage.

Finally, for modern prog, check out Schooltree's Heterotopia.

Anything Kevin Gilbert was involved with was gold (it's usually more prog pop/crossover sort of stuff, but the songwriting and production is always impeccable). I highly recommend his two solo albums, "Thud" and "The Shaming of the True".

And if you'll forgive the self-promotion, perhaps give my band's album a spin! https://greatwidenothing.bandcamp.co...w-from-olympus Keyboard driven retro/symphonic/neo prog.

Most of the bands you listed in the original posting are ones I'm into as well, and a lot of them were an influence on my writing when I pulled the record together.

Good luck searching out new prog! It's a fun, neverending quest.

-Daniel
    Great Wide Nothing - indie/alt-prog from Atlanta, GA

New album, "Hymns for Hungry Spirits, Vol. I" out now!

Pre-order the limited edition, hand-numbered red vinyl at https://www.diggersfactory.com/vinyl...-spirits-vol-i
    Listen on Spotify at https://open.spotify.com/album/1kSh6N0uZifZxehukhNn1T
    Download from Bandcamp at https://greatwidenothing.bandcamp.co...-spirits-vol-i

If you might like prog from a folky approach, try the Strawbs, particularly middle period with Rick Wakeman and later Blue Weaver and John Hawken on keys: From the Witchwood, Grave New World, Bursting at the Seams, and Hero and Heroine.

From a more bluesy/jazzy approach, try Colosseum. Drummer Jon Hiseman was a graduate of the Graham Bond/John Mayall bands and Dave Greenslade was killer on B3 and vibes. Both vocalists, original James Litherland and replacement Chris Farlowe take some getting used to, but instrumentally the band was top notch.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I love how no one bothered to read his list and recommend things based on the likelihood of him actually liking it but rather based on personal tastes. The guy lists Yes, Genesis, The Flower Kings and Transatlantic and we're really thinking Lost Crowns, Henry Cow and Univers Zero. Hilarious!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I love how no one bothered to read his list and recommend things based on the likelihood of him actually liking it but rather based on personal tastes. The guy lists Yes, Genesis, The Flower Kings and Transatlantic and we're really thinking Lost Crowns, Henry Cow and Univers Zero. Hilarious!!!
    He also lists Magma and Univers Zero.

You did read the list yourself?

Spock's Beard
    Transatlantic
    UK
    Univers Zero
    White Willow
    Yes

People are unable to break for a second their progressive autism, and respond to a simple question: the guy gives a list of basic, essential prog- rock and asks for essential gems that he might be missing. This is beyond individual taste: the names that are not there cry out on their own. But no, he must be served with the most obscure obscurity from outer space. Hundreds of names, to make sure he knows. He must get the full progressive picture of progressiveness in one big gulp. Good job!

From your list, the first 2 that come to mind are

The Barock Project and early RPWL (World Through My Eyes)

If I may weigh in briefly, I think these types of threads can be helpful if they have more participation from the OP, otherwise it usually becomes garbage in/garbage out (no offense intended to the OP). Interacting as the thread is developing can help to further hone recommendations.

Agreed on the personal tastes thing (and self-promotion). That pretty much always occurs to some degree.

However, the key words in the OP that spoke to me were "expand" and "tastes". This implies to me that he's (or she's) open to going beyond his comfort zone (except maybe prog metal). Assuming that's the case, I think the broader suggestions of trying Cuneiform releases, Krautrock, and the Italian scenes, while not really specific, were the best suggestions so far imo because it will certainly expand your tastes.

To me that's different than suggesting more of the same, but perhaps I'm reading too much into what he's really looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    People are unable to break for a second their progressive autism, and respond to a simple question: the guy gives a list of basic, essential prog- rock and asks for essential gems that he might be missing. This is beyond individual taste: the names that are not there cry out on their own. But no, he must be served with the most obscure obscurity from outer space. Hundreds of names, to make sure he knows. He must get the full progressive picture of progressiveness in one big gulp. Good job!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Just a few off the top of my head, assuming you have the Canterbury stuff too:

Advent
    Thieves' Kitchen
    Uzva (pretty much unavailable but you can at least listen on YouTube)
    Finch
    Lotus (1975 Swedish instrumental rock)

Seven Impale
    Amplifier
    The Tangent
    Karmakanic
    The older I get, the better I was.

I understand what your trying to say here, and yes, recommendations from both ends of the pool would be most helpful. I've been in his same position and maybe I still am.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Yup. What you've listed as owning is pretty much the shallow end of the gene pool. The deeper you dive, the more your horizons will expand.
    But Robert, for some, the shallow end is the deep end, etc. A man for all seasons?

And it's tough to gauge typically as we're all different. Years ago I posted for recommendations of things that were specifically like Genesis. Since the OP list was pretty versatile, including both Genesis and Univers Zero, then there is going to be a wide range of recommendations.

I should have clarified the specific style of my earlier recommendations, if that's something that can be pinpointed. So here goes:

Advent can be like Gentle Giant or Anthony Phillips. Some of my favorite bits are to me a little like 'Evidence of Autumn' with more chords and complexity perhaps.

Thieves' Kitchen is kind of cross between symph, Canterbury and fusion, and 'Clockwork Universe' is my personal favorite.

Finch is tight guitar driven instrumental music (with keyboards too) very well done, with good melodies and a lot of feeling. Lotus isn't too far removed from Finch, a bit mellower.

I think there's an obvious danger of being overwhelmed here. Here are a few things that I think stretch beyond the tastes displayed in your list (which also characterizes what was a large part of my tastes up until a few years ago) but shouldn't break your ears or anything. All these albums resonated for me.

Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
    Birds & Buildings - Bantam To Behemoth
    Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
    Nerve Institute - Architects of Flesh Density

Ultimately you should just buy two or three recommendations from this thread and then see if you're finding a direction you like. Everyone's different - some may open up to new things with a more passive "background music" approach, others might need to sit down and actively focus on things that are outside their normal tastes. For me a combination seems to work and what resonates can depend on my mood.
    <sig out of order>

Thanks to everyone for ALL the suggestions! I’m certainly open to exploring new avenues as well as things I may have missed from the symphonic side. The only non-starter for me is heavy metal Prog with Cookie Monster vocals. Everything else, I will approach with open ears! Progressive ears, even

Thanks again! Now I have some listening to do!!

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    The only non-starter for me is heavy metal Prog with Cookie Monster vocals.

Just off the top of my head:

If you like Magma's originality and obsession with pedal points, try Eskaton. Also consider Koenjihyakkei. You're almost guaranteed to like Jean-Paul Prat and Guapo might scratch the zeuhl itch as well. If Magma's jazzier side is what appeals to you most, Return to Forever might be a good candidate, as is Colosseum II.

If you like Anglagard's overall aesthetic, Anekdoten and All Traps on Earth will likely please.

If you like Caravan's sense of whimsy and their complex compositions, try National Health. Definitely give Hatfield and the North a spin. Gong might work for you, too.

If you enjoy Univers Zero's use of strange, dark textures, or King Crimson's more experimental material, explore some avant-garde, like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, and Estradasphere. If you like the fact that Univers Zero utilizes less conventional instruments (for rock music,) Alamaailman Vasarat might be your cup of tea.

If you like Eloy, Nemrud is sure to please.

ELP spawned a number of imitators, some of which were pretty groovy. Triumvirat comes to mind.

As for liking Pain of Salvation... maybe Kamelot or Iron Maiden? Shots in the dark, but hey.

Although space rock is generally less involved, it's still compelling, and something that's mostly missing from your lineup. I recommend Hidria Spacefolk, Earthless, and First Band From Outerspace. Maybe not really prog, but eh.

There's also some great Italian bands out there worth exploring. I'd recommend starting with Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso.

Sheesh, this feels like an impossible task. There's hundreds more to recommend and I don't have time to link examples from all of them. Hopefully some of these will click, but giving recommendations is never easy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I actually was a little unclear on if he wanted to know about more prog that was similar to what he already knows, or if he wanted to expand to MORE of the less mainstream stuff. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who wasn't sure.

I actually didn't recommend anything because I wanted to see how he responded to what was being suggested.

How spicy a dish can you stand... No symph weenies here!

My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Search progarchive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    How spicy a dish can you stand... No symph weenies here!

Yeshua meschiach, that's terrifying
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.