Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Looking to expand my prog tastes!

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    I must agree with this Jacob fellow....White Willow is awesome!

Thanks, I will definitely check these out. I seem to have some disorder where I cannot stop buying music. Always wanting more... to my wife's great exasperation I'm sure!
    I have the same disorder.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I have the same disorder.
    It's called Progressive Ears Syndrome! Everyhere here experiences it!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It's called Progressive Ears Syndrome! Everyhere here experiences it!
    I don't just buy progressive rock. I think a large part of my listening anf buying is other music.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I don't just buy progressive rock. I think a large part of my listening anf buying is other music.
    Me too! I always thought people on PE have vast interests in a range of music.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Me too! I always thought people on PE have vast interests in a range of music.
    +2

Cheers!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Nothing but good recommendations so far!.

Mine will focus for now with:

- Cabezas de Cera:
    http://cabezasdecera.com.mx/

- Luis Alberto Spinetta:
    Solo discography and his various projects:
    Almendra, Pescado Rabioso, Invisible, Spinetta Jade.
    Hello Progfan915!.

UAKTI: (as Cabezas de Cera, Uakti was known for using custom-made instruments, built by the group itself.)
    A few years ago and by a recommendation from uncle Steve, I went to a gig in our country of this great brazilian ensamble and definitely expanded my musical/visual universe ! :-)

From UAKTI/Beatles:

- Sonata KV331 em Lá Maior (allegro) (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart) -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mPOi16K18o

Enjoy!.

ps:
    Gracias Steve!.

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Some you might enjoy. Pardon if these have been mentioned.

The Aristocrats
    Mike Keneally
    Bubblemath
    Discipline
    Freak Kitchen
    Frost*
    Haken
    Bryan Beller
    Marco Minnemann
    Sanguine Hum
    Lonely Robot
    Thank You Scientist
    The Dregs

White Willow is highly recommended! Their newest two albums (Terminal Twilight and Future Hopes) are the best I have heard from them. Mattias Olsson’s extremely dense and “wet” production on these probably will take some getting used to; he favors LOTS of effects on everything!

Favorite Wobbler is Rites at Dawn, which like White Willow has a strong folk flavoring not really found as much on their other albums. It’s very much a mix of Yes (circa The Yes Album) and PFM otherwise, but not a rip-off of either band. I probably need more time with it, but I was disappointed with From Silence to Somewhere. The earlier two were also met with disappointment, but they grew on me.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Great, thanks a lot! I am still wading through the awesome suggestions from everyone. So far I have been turned on by Anekdoten, Soft Machine and Amon Duul II!

I listened to Can, which didn't grab me, but I can see how it might need repeated listenings. Also After Crying; parts I liked and parts were meh...I need to give it another chance.

The journey continues...

Try something from South America, too many to list.

Jon Neudorf
    Lile Aisles from Chile. Pretty good stuff.

Great, thanks a lot! I am still wading through the awesome suggestions from everyone. So far I have been turned on by Anekdoten, Soft Machine and Amon Duul II!
    How are you feeling about Anekdoten? Do you like their older or new material more? I, like Progbear, am of the opinion that their later material is substantially better than much of their early offerings. I listened to Until the Ghosts are Gone recently and was absolutely blown away by the progression of their sound. Very emotional album, and extremely refined.

I listened to Can, which didn't grab me, but I can see how it might need repeated listenings.
    Can took me some time as well. I dismissed them outright the first time I heard them, but this was the performance that won me over, and won me over for life. I mean just look at those classy men.

The journey continues...
    ...and may it never end.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntrip View Post

Can took me some time as well. I dismissed them outright the first time I heard them, but this was the performance that won me over, and won me over for life. I mean just look at those classy men.

I haven't spent much time with Can. Yet.

Thanks so much for linking that vid here. It was fantastic!

You may find some of the reviews by Ted White (aka Dr. Progresso) on this page useful.
    It's a Good Thing I Don't Have Super Brain Powers Or You'd All Be In A Thousand Little Pieces Right Now (Forever Einstein).

Quote Originally Posted by Guntrip View Post
    How are you feeling about Anekdoten? Do you like their older or new material more? I, like Progbear, am of the opinion that their later material is substantially better than much of their early offerings. I listened to Until the Ghosts are Gone recently and was absolutely blown away by the progression of their sound. Very emotional album, and extremely refined.
    I listened to Vemod and Nucleus on youtube and loved them. I was going to listen to more, but I saw on Anekdoten's website that they were offering a bundle deal; all 6 CDs for $50! Based on everyones rave reviews of the later material, I just pulled the trigger and bought the whole lot

I listened to Vemod and Nucleus on youtube and loved them. I was going to listen to more, but I saw on Anekdoten's website that they were offering a bundle deal; all 6 CDs for $50! Based on everyones rave reviews of the later material, I just pulled the trigger and bought the whole lot
    Wow! What a deal. I saw Anekdoten in Quebec City about 3 years ago and they were incredible. Closed with Sad Rain (a bonus track). You might want to hunt that down or check YouTube.

Wow! What a deal. I saw Anekdoten in Quebec City about 3 years ago and they were incredible. Closed with Sad Rain (a bonus track). You might want to hunt that down or check YouTube.
    I think I may have recorded that QC show. I was pretty much unfamiliar with Anekdoten, but enjoyed their set.
    <sig out of order>

Watched the Can video. Mostly liked it. Thought the vocals were pretty much extraneous, but harmless.

They're pretty much all about the rhythm section, I gather?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Thought the vocals were pretty much extraneous, but harmless.

They're pretty much all about the rhythm section, I gather?
    Yes and no? Can is kind of hard to describe. They engage in a lot of improv, which is then refined into songs that have a very free floating and spontaneous feeling. Since it's a lot easier to improv over strong rhythm sections, their songs have a lot of spacey, psychedelic aspects, a sense of forward momentum and groove. They just keep going, often without a sense of compositional direction. They stray into some pretty strange experimental places as well, and while I like Can overall, there is definitely an impenetrability / random quality to a lot of their work that I would imagine put off some listeners. They're also somewhat manky by design, deliberately lacking in refinement in pursuit of a more rough edged sound, which is fitting, given that they're actively chasing after spontaneity of creation rather than careful, deliberate composition.

I'd personally recommend starting with Tago Mago if you're interested in seeing what the group is capable of. It was the album that helped me breakthrough into their sound after Ege Bamyasi and Future Days were total misses for me, but everyone seems to find different entry points. Tago Mago worked for me because it felt like the perfect blend of accessible and experimental, easing you into a strange place where anything can happen. I still find it surprisingly compelling, especially in its spacey experimental passages.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I didn't take to Can on the first pass either. What caught me were their grooves, what has kept me is their creativity. I really needed to build some capacity, I think, because their approach is pretty singular. So, there wasn't a lot to hang my hat on at first. "Future Days" brought me in, though. Once I broke through on the overall dadaesque approach on vocals, I was pretty much in.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Try something from South America, too many to list.
    Agree!

First take:
    - Argentina -

These recommendations are from recent groups of this country: I personally lean more towards avant prog/jazz, RIO, the experimental side, fusión for example, but, there're good proposals in other styles:

Take a look and spend time with the greatest Viajero Inmovil Records. (Happy Hunting!!)

https://viajeroinmovilrecords.bandcamp.com/
    " … a personal project created in August 1999 devoted to promoting and distributing the music of Independent Progressive groups from Argentina and South America, thus trying to promote all the so-called "Progressive Music": Prog Rock, Symphonic Rock, Neo Prog, Beat Music, Psychedelia, Hard Rock, Folk, Jazz Rock, Fusion, R.I.O., Chamber Music, Post Rock, Avant Tango, etc."

Special mention:
    . Nexus (****) -- IMO!.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG3AhSUDxI8

Finally, by country, Syn-Phonic: (extra happy hunting!!)
    http://synphonicmusic.com/country/argentina.html

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.