Thread: Gentle Giant - In Concert - ZDF TV Special - Live in Brussels 1974

Gentle Giant - In Concert - ZDF TV Special - Live in Brussels 1974

Its likely everyone on this board has seen this but me...but just in case. I just dont think you can get any proggier than this....not mentioning any names but the chops on display here rival any of the better known 70's UK prog institutions.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqdq3UM9xv8

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Speaking of ranking...

Quote Originally Posted by bfd View Post
    Its likely everyone on this board has seen this but me...but just in case. I just dont think you can get any proggier than this....not mentioning any names but the chops on display here rival any of the better known 70's UK prog institutions.....

This is part of the Giant on the Box set, right?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    This is part of the Giant on the Box set, right?
    Yes, it is.

I haven't, so I appreciate you posting it. Is the Giant On The Box set still available?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I haven't, so I appreciate you posting it. Is the Giant On The Box set still available?
    Yes, Giant On The Box (which despite its name is only a DVD, not a Box) is still readily available and an absolute must: I would rate it amongst the top 5 best prog DVD's ever released. The (later) GG at the GG BBC concert DVD is also a good value but doesn't reach the same heights.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 08-02-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Yes, Giant On The Box (which despite its name is only a DVD, not a Box) is still readily available and an absolute must: I would rate it amongst the top 5 best prog DVD's ever released. The (later) GG at the GG BBC concert DVD is also a good value but doesn't reach the same heights.
    Thanks. It seems like when I go to look for stuff I failed to follow up on a few years ago, they always seem to be over of print and only going for extortionate prices. I'm glad to see this isn't the case here.

Brits refer to the television set as 'the box', hence the name.

I picked up Gentle Giant's Giant On The Box when it came out on DVD years ago. It's still an absolute must for fans of GG. I love the footage from the ABC In Concert show as well as the ZDFTV Special (heck, I even like the music that plays on the DVD's main menu page).

Quote Originally Posted by bfd View Post

I had this originally on VHS, very lousy picture as it was a copy of a copy...I thought that the audience were cardboard cut outs...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I had this originally on VHS, very lousy picture as it was a copy of a copy...I thought that the audience were cardboard cut outs...
    This concert was filmed in the (Belgian) RTB television studios and the audience was asked (actually instructed) by the production NOT to move, stand up, or make any noises... though these instructions were not strictly followed as after the second song the audience wake-up a little bit and started cheering and clapping.
    And while not up to the current standards, the DVD is very watchable (MUCH better than the VHS copy) and the sound excellent.

Great concert recording , even so as mentionned the audience is a bit "reserved" the band gives a great performance. Btw during the menu of the DVD plays a then unreleased stunning Kerry Minear track. Sometimes I just let the menu on to listen to this track. I don't remember if they put it somewhere else.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Great concert recording , even so as mentionned the audience is a bit "reserved" the band gives a great performance. Btw during the menu of the DVD plays a then unreleased stunning Kerry Minear track. Sometimes I just let the menu on to listen to this track. I don't remember if they put it somewhere else.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

To put the audience in a context:

This concert was part of the long running TV series Sonntagskonzert (69-05). This TV Show was aired on Sunday noons,
    and was clearly aimed at an elder audience. The Show was normally based on classical music.

I really would have wanted to see the reaction of the TV spectators on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    To put the audience in a context:

This concert was part of the long running TV series Sonntagskonzert (69-05). This TV Show was aired on Sunday noons,
    and was clearly aimed at an elder audience. The Show was normally based on classical music.

I really would have wanted to see the reaction of the TV spectators on this one...
    This same GG concert was also broadcasted in Belgium by the RTB in their "POP SHOP" show, the first (and then only) pop/rock specialized program intended for young people during the early seventies. Audience was made of carefully selected guests (like the BBC's OGWT concerts) in a very controlled environment where moving, cheering, clapping or dancing were not allowed... these TV-studio concerts were allways played live in a similar decor (in the famous studio 6) and recorded a few days before broadcasting, usually the next saturday afternoon (if I remember well...). Many great names played this show and some of them (GENESIS, VDGG, CURVED AIR, ATOMIC ROOSTER,...) were re-discovered later and (re)issued on DVD since the technical quality of these old "Made In Belgium" recordings were quite good for the time.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 08-03-2019 at 06:04 PM.

A review I wrote about this one several years ago (in German) (first one)

http://www.babyblaue-seiten.de/index...content=review