Thread: Is the Gibraltar Encyclopedia still out there somewhere?

Is the Gibraltar Encyclopedia still out there somewhere?

Went to http://www.gepr.net/geprfram.htm and it isn't there.
    I still like to look at it from time to time.
    Thanks in advance.

^^^^^

All gone.

Hasn’t been updated in at least a decade.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

The GEPR disappeared about two months ago. As Steve said, it hadn't been updated for over a decade, but it was still up until then. I was a bit sad to see it gone, not just for having contributed to it, but because it still served useful info from time to time or snapshots of what segments of progressive rock fandom was thinking, from around 1990 to mid-2000s.

But of course, in the Internet nothing is forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten (sorry, not prog, that), so back to back in time's the way to go (not that one either, but closer). There are other useful and entertaining reviews from "lost" sites like Ground and Sky and The Giant Progweed that are worth looking for in The Wayback Machine. Though some sites, like Prog-Net, really are gone for good.

Such a huge body of work. So much time and effort into that site. I would think it would be worth it to have it archived at some point or in some way. Can't cost that much to have it on a server. Maybe it could just be on a private server which would not cost anything for hosting. I'm sure there are folks here that would know more about this. I would gladly pay a subscription to help keep it alive.

Gibraltar was my first entrance into the whole Prog-verse. I was fortunate to have dinner with Fred and his wife during one NEARFest. He said how much of his time Gibraltar occupied, and how far behind he had become. Progarchives was just getting populated at that time and he may have felt his work was done, and not so much a financial issue. (If you are here Fred, it would be great to hear your version).
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org