Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grateful Dead GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 15 Disk Set

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Grateful Dead GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 15 Disk Set

You have no choice! The new big-ass Grateful Dead limited, special-edition boxed set is coming next month:

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991,
    https://store.dead.net/special-editi...boxed-set.html

Only about $150. 14 CDs and one Blu-Ray or DVD. No pictures of the package yet.

I'm on the bus...

I caught the 1987 tour at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. It was my first and last Dead show because I figured, "Hey, I have to see what all the fuss was about." When it was over I was still asking myself, "Why all the fuss?" I get the Cult of Personality that had been built up around the Dead for 20 years, but on a purely musical level I was completely unfazed.

To each their own.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I caught the 1987 tour at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. It was my first and last Dead show because I figured, "Hey, I have to see what all the fuss was about." When it was over I was still asking myself, "Why all the fuss?" I get the Cult of Personality that had been built up around the Dead for 20 years, but on a purely musical level I was completely unfazed.

To each their own.
    Have you heard any earlier Dead shows or studio albums? Or was this concert your only time listening to them?

I caught the 1987 tour at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. It was my first and last Dead show because I figured, "Hey, I have to see what all the fuss was about." When it was over I was still asking myself, "Why all the fuss?"
    Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, "all the fuss", at least in musical terms, relates to stuff they did about 14-20 years before that. Seriously, the Dead played well at times during the late 80's and early 90's, but they're best stuff was 68-74.

Unless you saw the Dead during that classic era, it's a good chance you didn't see them at their best. There were times where they were great one night, then maybe so-so the following night, then maybe great again the night after that.

These days, I feel I got lucky, I only got to see the Dead twice, once in September 1990 (second show with Vince Welnick on keyboards) and again almost exactly a year later. Both shows I thought were great. The second set of the first show opened with Eyes Of The World/Estimated Prophet/Terrapin Station. The jam that they went into after Terrapin Station was used on the So Many Roads boxset that came out in the mid 90's.

Personally, I'm getting tired of these expensive boxset deals. Just put the shows out as individual releases, so that those of us who aren't rich can afford them. As far as the Dead is concerned, the only one I've been able to buy is the Pacific Northwest 73-74 set that came out last year, and I feel like I was lucky to get that, as it sort of snuck under my radar. Fortunately, I was browsing the Dead website a few months ago when I saw it, and I thought "Dammit, I'm tired of always missing out on these things!". So I've got that.

But I'd wish they'd go back to the Dick's Picks/Road Trips model, i.e. putting out 2-4 CD sets, either one complete show, or highlights from two or three shows, as they used to. Easier to digest, and the edited highlights tended to skip over all the boring cover tunes and focus on the cool original material and extended improvisations.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Have you heard any earlier Dead shows or studio albums? Or was this concert your only time listening to them?
    My older brother had a couple albums, and I've heard various live recordings from here and there over the years. I get the sense when they were on -- as GG mentions -- they caught lightning in a bottle. But I certainly wasn't converted by the exposure I had to want to follow them around waiting for that to happen.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    But I'd wish they'd go back to the Dick's Picks/Road Trips model, i.e. putting out 2-4 CD sets, either one complete show, or highlights from two or three shows, as they used to.
    But they are still doing that. Four single-show Dave's Picks a year (#31 just came out: Chicago 12/3/79, with filler from the next night). The catch is that if you don't subscribe to the whole year, you have to grab them on the day of release, because the single copies tend to sell out instantly.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

But I'd wish they'd go back to the Dick's Picks/Road Trips model, i.e. putting out 2-4 CD sets, either one complete show, or highlights from two or three shows, as they used to. Easier to digest, and the edited highlights tended to skip over all the boring cover tunes and focus on the cool original material and extended improvisations.
    Usually when they've released the box sets recently they have put out a companion 3 CD set of either one show from the box, or a sampler.

But I certainly wasn't converted by the exposure I had to want to follow them around waiting for that to happen.
    Well, most people didn’t follow them around. I only saw them live once (at the Carrier Dome in 82). I don’t actually recall the music at the show well, but I didn’t base my opinion of them on just the one show.

That said, I certainly understand if you’re not interested in this set.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, "all the fuss", at least in musical terms, relates to stuff they did about 14-20 years before that. Seriously, the Dead played well at times during the late 80's and early 90's, but they're best stuff was 68-74.

Unless you saw the Dead during that classic era, it's a good chance you didn't see them at their best. There were times where they were great one night, then maybe so-so the following night, then maybe great again the night after that.

These days, I feel I got lucky, I only got to see the Dead twice, once in September 1990 (second show with Vince Welnick on keyboards) and again almost exactly a year later. Both shows I thought were great. The second set of the first show opened with Eyes Of The World/Estimated Prophet/Terrapin Station. The jam that they went into after Terrapin Station was used on the So Many Roads boxset that came out in the mid 90's.

Personally, I'm getting tired of these expensive boxset deals. Just put the shows out as individual releases, so that those of us who aren't rich can afford them. As far as the Dead is concerned, the only one I've been able to buy is the Pacific Northwest 73-74 set that came out last year, and I feel like I was lucky to get that, as it sort of snuck under my radar. Fortunately, I was browsing the Dead website a few months ago when I saw it, and I thought "Dammit, I'm tired of always missing out on these things!". So I've got that.

I saw them 6 times, starting in 1990 and Jerry Band twice, in 1989, I think. Regardless of what you think of the Dead's music, their shows were little travelling cosmic bubbles of 1969 which more or less recreated the whole Hippie ethos and thus had a huge appeal to people who found that appealing but were too young to experience that scene in real time. Any analysis of the Dead that doesn't include that misses a large part of the reason for their appeal in the later years.

Aren’t they still doing the Dave’s Picks series?

Aren’t they still doing the Dave’s Picks series?
    Your life would be improved immeasurably if you'd read my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    But they are still doing that. Four single-show Dave's Picks a year (#31 just came out: Chicago 12/3/79, with filler from the next night). The catch is that if you don't subscribe to the whole year, you have to grab them on the day of release, because the single copies tend to sell out instantly.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Your life would be improved immeasurably if you'd read my posts.
    But how would he get his post count up?

I'm on the fence with this one. I've bought all of the boxes they've released starting with the steamer trunk of E72 and have been a subscriber to Dave's Picks from the outset. I'm not sure I need more late '80s-early '90s Dead.

It's one long song.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I guess I'm too casual a fan for these sets, but I don't really get why people want this stuff so much in physical form. The GD encouraged taping and free trading and there are literally hundreds if not thousands of their shows up on Youtube. There are trading sites where you can download whatever show you want, for free. And none of this is even remotely unethical in the case of the GD because they wanted it that way.

I did buy a few DP sets in the 1990s when they first came out and I'm very happy with the DVD box that I bought a few years ago. But other than that, when I occasionally need a Dead fix, I just visit Youtube for the era I want, listen for an hour or two, and I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I guess I'm too casual a fan for these sets, but I don't really get why people want this stuff so much in physical form. The GD encouraged taping and free trading and there are literally hundreds if not thousands of their shows up on Youtube. There are trading sites where you can download whatever show you want, for free. And none of this is even remotely unethical in the case of the GD because they wanted it that way

- mixed/mastered in HD

- nice packaging/liner notes/artwork

- hard physical storage

- about $9 per disc mailed to you

I love audience tapes as much as the next Deadhead, but these are standalone sets and they've all been worthy
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I'm not sure I need more late '80s-early '90s Dead.
    I’m sure you do.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I saw them 6 times, starting in 1990 and Jerry Band twice, in 1989, I think. Regardless of what you think of the Dead's music, their shows were little travelling cosmic bubbles of 1969 which more or less recreated the whole Hippie ethos and thus had a huge appeal to people who found that appealing but were too young to experience that scene in real time. Any analysis of the Dead that doesn't include that misses a large part of the reason for their appeal in the later years.

I was traveling fan from 1983-1990 and saw over 50 shows. I am eternally thankful that I've watched Garcia play from the rail, feet away. seeing that guy get into his thing was special

for me, the greatest musical thing about the Dead was the trainspotting nature of a varied setlist with additional improv and melodic explorations with some songs. this made every night different and interesting

the vibe and party was also just a great way to travel as a teen. I consider it a formative experience in my life
    2trevorsforlife

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    I.... me, the greatest musical thing about the Dead was the trainspotting nature of a varied setlist with additional improv and melodic explorations with some songs. this made every night different and interesting
    This is exactly why i like The Dead
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

One thing I need to ask about the last boxed set - the Pacific Northwest one - for those others who have it: while physically the set is nice enough, why does the wooden box inside contain ONLY the numbered certificate. Overall the physical contents of the set are very minimal compared to most of the others. Every time I open it I wonder if they accidentally left stuff out of my copy.

One thing I need to ask about the last boxed set - the Pacific Northwest one - for those others who have it: while physically the set is nice enough, why does the wooden box inside contain ONLY the numbered certificate. Overall the physical contents of the set are very minimal compared to most of the others. Every time I open it I wonder if they accidentally left stuff out of my copy.

mine has a piece of the Wall of Sound in it! you got ripped off!!!!

(I will check but pretty sure you are OK )
    2trevorsforlife

I heard one guy’s box had Jerry’s finger in it.

I have to admit that GD are one of those bands I never got into.

I still remember their gig at Rockpalast in German TV I was looking forward to 'cause all the fuzz I heard about them..

And then all there was was a guy whose guitar sounded like he was playing an egg slicer, two Drummers who could not hold up
    to an average one and a band playing really lame Country Music..

I saw the Dead only once, at Alpine Valley, WI. I enjoyed the set, but was not completely bowled over. I managed to see most SF psych bands over time, but the Dead I had to wait and then all I remember is having lawn seats- when they began to play, everyone stood and they stayed standing for 3 hours. But I listen to the GD station on Sirius, and after a year I can see all the differences in shows, sets, songs and so on- sort of like Siddhartha, always the same and always different. It's good-time music to me.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

The eons are closing
    Alpine Valley is well known for quality shows, especially in the latter 80s early 90s.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

^ Yeah, I saw Jerry Band there in '89, and Poplar Creek the next night. Great, great shows.