Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grateful Dead GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 15 Disk Set

Alpine Valley is well known for quality shows, especially in the latter 80s early 90s.
    Yes, '88 is the year I saw them.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I was at the first 91 Giants show...one of the worst fucking Dead shows ever.....as an aside.....

...we were at a NJT rest stop and this guy with longish hair (kind of a geeky look) came up to my wife and asked her if we were going to the dead....she said yes.....he suggested we come and see his band at a private party in NYC instead and it would be a much better show.....it was Trey Anastasio.....we should have taken his advice!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Only 1000 copies left of the 10,000 limited Blu-Ray edition.

This set has shipped! Sounds like only 1500 (DVD and BD combined) remaining.

You'll get carpal tunnel fondling that brick.

I've never kept up with these boxes and other live releases. I love the GD, but I fell like I have all I really need (maybe 20 live shows on CD). I guess I'm not a die hard.

I saw them in Las Vegas, two shows in a row of a three show run. I think it was 1993. They were amazing shows and I was a fan after that. I saw them again in Pittsburgh in 1995. Jerry only did a couple shows after that one. It wasn't a great show, but it wasn't terrible either. Just a bit of a disappointment compared to the ones I saw a couple years before. Jerry only sang one or two songs, and didn't sound good at all. His guitar playing was as good as ever though. Just too much Bob Weir that show I think.

Anyway, I can't really justify spending that much money on a box set. As other have said, if I could spend the money, I don't think I'd get this one anyway as I much prefer their 70's performances over what I've heard from the 80's and 90's. If I could get the shows I heard in 1993, I probably wouldn't as I don't think it would have the same impact as it did when I was actually there watching them do it in the moment.

I’ve only gotten through the first set, but it is surprisingly good. The voices are kind of rusty, but there’s some awesome playing and cool atmospheric stuff.