Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you rank?

I think it's just another way to recommend something. Buy Dark Side of the Moon before you buy More, etc. Buy Crimson before you buy Rolling Stones or whoever. It's also a list game, which generally speaking l like.

^ Frankly, any thread that doesn't start with "We can all agree that the music of Yes is the true pinnacle of human achievement" is devaluing art to some degree.

Having said that, it's understood that some things are just understood, and don't need to be constantly repeated. That's my opinion. My neighbor says that first you don't acknowledge Yes as the pinnacle of human achievement, and the next thing you know, kids are wearing earrings, have their pants hanging halfway down their underwear, and are trading bootleg cigarettes on the street corner.

I suppose he has a point.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Why? Just for fun. Also if the ranking is substantiated, as mentioned by another poster, it might lend insight and prompt a revisit. I’ve found that type of thing actually useful.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I don't have a favorite, I have many favorites. I could never compile a Top Ten, or even a Top Hundred. I like something or I don't; anything beyond that is a waste of my time.
    That seems unlikely. Are there not CDs by artists that get more listening-time than others. Are there not specific albums that you go back to more frequently than others. Saying something is #17 vs #18 I agree is a waste of time, but everyone has favorites. Things we like more than others. I like the first 5 Kansas albums more than the rest of their collection. Doesn't mean I dislike the others, just that if I am going to pull out a Kansas album it is probably going to be Masque or debut.

Oddly enough, I only rate music, but I don't think I'm ranking much. I never do that for films, books or other arts (painting for ex) or subjects (foods, beers, restaurants, etc... )

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    SOME people do. Others of us don't see the point.

SOME people have too much time on their hands, and have run out of things to say about Yes and Genesis and Rush.
    Well some are still making list o$n the latest Rush thread

I don't see the point ranking , but I suppose that a a Gnosis rater, I do rate (and review on PA), but I'm not into making lists (unless being kindly asked). I d see the point of ratings to see preferences and make some kind of quality hierarchy (if I see a 90's album sandwiched in between 70's albums, I'm going to take notice and maybe investigate), but I never look at "top lists" from PA or RYM - not even Gnosis - per style/genre or as a whole.

Like everyone, I'm relatively prone at looking some lists, (as long as the subject interests me), but I'm not about to open a thread to rant about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    This thread is a six.
    That's about the worst thing on PE >> the star ratings on threads wall.gif

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I prefer reviews to rankings. Both are opinions, but I get more information from a review. If you are familiar with a reviewer, you can get even more information. For example, I know what a local movie reviewer likes and dislikes and why, so I can even tell which movies he dislikes that I will like, and vice versa. Also, he gives reasons for panning or glorifying a movie, while not including spoilers. Anyone can rank things according to their own preference, but their preference is likely to be different than someone else's. You can have consensus rankings that supposedly average all the individual rankings, but I'm not really a consensus guy. These days, many forums have a large TLDR audience, hence the popularity of rankings.
    I reviewed (and therefore rated) thousands of album on both PA and JMA, plus a few more on RYM, and rated a bunch mire without reviewing, not counting Gnosis2000, where it's ratings only (the reviews section is long dead).

If I've found relatively easy to establish a hierarchy within a band or solo artiste, equating it in between different band's respective personal hierarchy is fairly difficult at least objectively (and the only place where I would think of doing that is on Gnosis2000).

This is a symptom of today's social media culture. Selfies, blogs, lists, followers, likes, Nosedive. It *looks* a little bit like communication, but in reality it's all about endlessly telling the world about yourself, obsessively, narcissistically. It reminds me of looking in the toilet before you flush.
    those "1001 things to do/hear/see/be before you die lists" wall.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Do you review books? Do you ever state your preference for certain of his/her work over others? Do you hold a novel/story above others as an 'example' of how it 'should' be?

Ranking is only preference writ large.
    I review books. I rarely if ever state that one book is "better" than another - I consider such comparisons, well, invidious. Though in fairness I must admit that, when I post my reviews on Amazon/Goodreads I do use their 5-star "ratings" (and almost never give anything but a 3 or 4; 5 is for things that blew me away and if it isn't at least a 3 I have no motivation to finish it). What I mostly do in reviewing is describe the book in terms that, I hope, will give another reader some idea of whether they would like the book or not.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    I will try to take this another way.

I find that for many of the bands I'm into, there is one album that does it for me. Whether it is Dark Matter by IQ or The Visitor by Arena, or whatever. At that point I am constantly trying to find the album that recreates that feeling. I tend to rank the other albums by how much they inspire the same passion as that holy-grail album.

It is why ranking Neil Young is silly to me, because I have different emotions about the entire collection and I can't really compare them. But yet, I could put together a ranking of The Kinks because there are eras I like more than others and a holy-grail in each era for me (Something Else By and Give The People What They Want).
    Fair enough, as far as it goes.

But if I say that (for example) Quadrophenia is my favorite album by the Who, or even that it is one of about five albums that never fail to do "it" for me when I want/need "it" - well, that isn't a ranking, is it? I'm not saying this is the Who's "best" album, or that it's "better" than (say) Who's Next or Live at Louds. Sorry, Leeds.

I could do rating and ranking. Of course I could. I can even tell you what my #1 favorite rock song of all time would be: "Won't Get Fooled Again." But in order for that to make sense to me I would have to spend a few paragraphs explaining why I think it is the distilled essence of everything rock'n'roll ever tried to be. (H'mmm. An idea for another thread...) But I would feel totally stupid doing it.

The point is this. I understand saying what you like, and even more, saying why you like it. What I don't understand is this need to say "this is better than that."

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I’m going to reply in spite of the fact that I enjoy The Eagles.
    More power to you. To me, it's homogenized, extruded generic country-rock product, but I recognize that there's something there I just don't get. (See also my Led Zep thread.)

Thank you for sharing your point of view.
    Um, you're welcome?

Let me put it this way, it’s just a discussion tool and a boredom exercise. I don’t see it as treating art like a contest. Frankly I find that kind of thinking pretentious. It’s just music after all.
    This may be part of the reason why you are a moderator and I am not: you can make a statement like that. To me, music (art in general) is something precious, the place where the rising ape not only meets, but exceeds the falling angel.

If I may mangle a metaphor.

The longest running thread on this site is a word association thread. Are we devaluing the “art” by trivializing it down to some stupid exercise? FWIW, I don’t participate in that thread, but it’s just a fun exercise for many.
    Neither do I. It's something else I just don't get. And I like word games.

But while lists can be an exaggeration, we all come to this site and discuss music through the lens of what we like and what we don’t. Should we eliminate any discussion that starts with “so what’s your favorite album by ____” because it risks devaluing art?
    See, I don't think "what's your favorite" is the same as ranking - not by a country mile. Or a nautical mile, whichever is longer. It's a chance to explain what you like and why you like it.

Someone else (I can't find the post now) observed that ranking is a way for people who are less articulate/knowledgeable to join in the conversation. That's something I kinda understand at least. But I also understand, and agree with, rcarlberg's observation that it's basically a kind of egotizing akin to selfies and posting your meals on FB. Reality probably lies in between somewhere.

Again, though: this thread was NOT intended as an attack on ranking, but as a sincere question as to why people do it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Every Song Written By Neal Morse Ranked

Someone do it.

I'm not much of a ranker these days. When I was in high school, a friend of mine, who was equally into music and who became a professional musician, and I used to rank everything. We even ranked the top five hair (Mick Taylor was #1) and top five sideburns (tie for #1 between Ray Dorset and Doug Sahm).
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Every Song Written By Neal Morse Ranked

Someone do it.
    Oh god nooooň

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    ...the rising ape not only meets, but exceeds the falling angel.
    Thanks! I’m gonna steal that one.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief.

The issue here is not whether people rank, why they rank, how they rank or if they took a few liberties in their rankings.

They did.

But you can't hold the whole of PE users responsible for the behavior of a few sick, perverted individuals.

For if you do, shouldn't we blame the way music is portrayed on the Internet?

And if the whole Internet is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of the American Music institution in general?

(Deltas cheering) I put it to you, Greg;

Isn't this an indictment of our entire American society?

Well, you can say what you want about rankings…

But, I won't sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America!

Gentlemen!

Cough; cough; blow-job; cough; cough.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Thanks! I’m gonna steal that one.
    Then credit Sir Terry Pratchett, not me; it's a riff on something he said.

We rank 'em cuz we need validation......lol.

I enjoy threads where people rank the reasons why they don't like lists.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Cough; cough; blow-job; cough; cough.
    +1
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I enjoy threads where people rank the reasons why they don't like lists.
    and yet still participate to every list thread to discuss and dinally submit their own ranking
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I review books. I rarely if ever state that one book is "better" than another - I consider such comparisons, well, invidious. Though in fairness I must admit that, when I post my reviews on Amazon/Goodreads I do use their 5-star "ratings" (and almost never give anything but a 3 or 4; 5 is for things that blew me away and if it isn't at least a 3 I have no motivation to finish it). What I mostly do in reviewing is describe the book in terms that, I hope, will give another reader some idea of whether they would like the book or not.
    I write book reviews as well, mostly crime-novels and books on music. If I get a book from the publisher, I have to write a review, so if I don't like it, I tell why I don't like it. I don't do stars, but I once wrote a book-review that would give the book just one star.

But I don't really compare books with eachother. When I wrote CD-reviews I didn't compare either. At least not to say one CD is better than the other.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I usually avoid threads I don't like...

... doh!

SOME people have too much time on their hands, and have run out of things to say about Yes and Genesis and Rush.
    Inconceivable!

And it looks like there will be new music to rank and discuss next year from Yes and ARW.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Then credit Sir Terry Pratchett, not me; it's a riff on something he said.
    Here you go...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomchivers/the-definitive-listing-of-terry-pratchetts-discworld-novels

Akkkk.

I thought I would try Ranking Roger, and I got:

1. Roger

Dead easy this ranking lark. I then tried skanking, and now I'm very tired.