Thread: Looking for some tasty symphonic prog from Norway? Swifan Eohl & the Mudra Choir

Looking for some tasty symphonic prog from Norway? Swifan Eohl & the Mudra Choir

Another pleasant surprise from the North, the debut album of Swifan Eohl @ the Mudra Choir called The Key and released January 2019. This is mainly symphonic prog, with a proto-prog aroma, informed by early Yes, Nektar, Wishbone Ash etc. Not the usual retro stuff one expects like Jordsjo or Wobbler, the sound is guitar-driven and unpolished, and there is a lot of singing text - with the vocals verging on the folk spectrum of progressive rock.

I am listening to this for the 2nd time now, and I am digging it very-very much. Good flow of ideas in their compositions and some excellent ideas. Spiders in the old cafe is brilliant! Fans of early 70's progressive rock need to explore this.

Bandcamp link: https://swifan.bandcamp.com

I will definitely check this out over the weekend when I do my listening. The unpolished sound you mention sounds interesting - I wonder if they were live in the studio rather than tracked in a computer program.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I will definitely check this out over the weekend when I do my listening. The unpolished sound you mention sounds interesting - I wonder if they were live in the studio rather than tracked in a computer program.
    Yes, they were live, kept bass and drums entirely, then worked overdubs on guitars and keys.

Sounds like something I might dig. Will check it out. thnx.

It's alright. They had the vinyl at my local vinyl store, Big Dipper. The album was released by Apollon Records, the local music store in my original hometown of Bergen - and a store which also happens to be a bar donning dozens of exotic brands of ale. I visited Bergen two weeks ago and heard about Swifan then. Apollon keep spewing out some fine "prog" from (predominantly) the western parts of Norway, such as Troika.

But I wonder, 'thustra-man; now that I've responded here, shouldn't this thread be awarded a one-star rating?!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    But I wonder, 'thustra-man; now that I've responded here, shouldn't this thread be awarded a one-star rating?!
    Of course it should! But the problem is from where? Will it come from the depths of Bohemia? Carpathian Mountains? The Mediterranean Sea (just specifically the Mediterranean Sea)? Doncaster? Clapham?

Just gave "The Key" a good listen......my first thought was:

If Comus stayed around for about 5 more years, polished their thing and got time in a good studio, it might come out sounding a bit like this.

(btw: I dug that first tune...will go back for more listening)
    G.A.S -aholic

OK to my tastes but they do have a weak vocals.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Of course it should! But the problem is from where? Will it come from the depths of Bohemia? Carpathian Mountains? The Mediterranean Sea (just specifically the Mediterranean Sea)? Doncaster? Clapham?
    Maybe the Isle Of Hey Man I'm Back.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Maybe the Isle Of Hey Man I'm Back.
    You mean the one that is right next to the Isle of Bann?

But on topic, thanks for the heads-up. I will check these guys out.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Just gave "The Key" a good listen......my first thought was:

If Comus stayed around for about 5 more years, polished their thing and got time in a good studio, it might come out sounding a bit like this.

(btw: I dug that first tune...will go back for more listening)
    The Comus reference is valid indeed. I haven't heard the entire thing yet but its certainly interesting.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson