Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush Blu-Ray/DVD from 12-10-2010 show finally released

^ Yep. It's wait & see at this point. Frank has respectfully asked folks to not contact venues at this juncture. His latest post said that they are adding even more dates to hit places they couldn't go on the current one. So we'll see.
    That's two shows cancelled in one week for me.

The Sellersville Theatre show has been re-scheduled for September 21st.

I noticed the dates are filling up in Sept. C'mon Dallas!

It's pretty ambitious, but possibly premature. I fear we'll still be in a bad situation. But, needless to say, you gotta get on a schedule before there are no dates left to book.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My show is rescheduled for October 25. We'll see.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Dallas show rescheduled for October 18. All previous purchased tickets honored

Just wanted to say that I now have a five-disc audio rip from the DVD set. I get more opportunities to listen to it in my car than I do to watch it on my TV.

It's effing stellar!

Frank Marino's Rescheduled October 25 show has been re-rescheduled for September 22, 2021.

Smart move, since we're nowhere near the point of having events any time soon.

Been on a Mahogany Rush/Marino trip/binge these last two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Ron , here is a review at YouTube by Pete Pardo from Sea of Tranquility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7KD...z0lqO9ZSFq1ehk
    Ok, did anyone take the time to read the book??
    Does it talk of the Montreal background and Harwood & Ayoub much?
    Maybe I'm prone to some nostalgia as this summer proves o be a bit boring in terms of new entertainment, so I've been reminiscing about my first couple of years in Canada & Montreal. So curious if the Montreal (night) life and scene is discussed in this book.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    As for live footage of the classic band with Ayoub and Harwood, I'm not sure much exists. I haven't done that much research, but the only things I've ever seen are the Bremont show from 79 (which I believe has Frank's brother Vince playing rhythm guitar), and a few TV things. If I'm not mistaken, at least some of the bands that played at the California Jam 2 were filmed, so that might exist, in a vault somewhere. One suspects there's got be some video screen feeds floating around. As much as he gigged back in those days, you have to figure he must have played at least a few places that had video screen systems, so there might tapes sitting somewhere of that too. But as far as proper, 70's era, proshot concert footage, I think the chances of anything being out there falls somewhere between slim and none-at-all. Same story as every other band from that era, I'm afraid.
    Apparently there is a fairly-long bootleg DVD with at least 4 filmed 70's and early 80's performances (including A Kirschner concert). Been able to view some on YT
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/vi...a-guitar-hero/
    I kinda doubt it was released on DVD in 85, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    What I'd really love to hear is the tapes that were used to make up the original live album from 1978 or whenever it was. I'd love to know how much was recorded, if there was enough for a proper double LP or what. Likewise for the live tapes that were used for half of Tales Of The Unexpected. Of course, seeing as Sony couldn't be bothered to handle the reissues of the Marino catalog themselves, it seems unlikely they're gonna send into the vaults to find out what unreleased stuff there is in there.

Yeah, like everyone, I would love that Live (78) would've been a double.
    Some have suggested that the four live tracks on the flipside of Tales might've been part of of the show, but these tracks come out of nowhere (never previously heard). The "sonics' sound fairly different , though. I'm kind of wondering how "live" they were. The crowd noise throughout the whole flipside is amazing (sounds like a stadium crowd) and adds to the excitement. But it's a little too systematic, especially that the crowd (however huge it might've been) did not know of those four tracks. Might there be a bit of studio tinkering , there??

“In those days, people had no idea what to do with a kid who had dropped so much acid, so they sent me to the psychiatric ward of the Montreal Children’s Hospital,” he says. “They put me in there hoping it would help me, which, ultimately, it did not. But what did help is that while I was there I learned how to play music. They kept pianos and things around for the kids to use, and there was a guitar—a cheap Stella acoustic. So I said, ‘I’ll play this.’ It was really more a way to keep my mind off what was happening to me. Because what was going on in my head was terrifying.”

Marino spent a year going in and out of the hospital; during that time, he also became shockingly proficient on the guitar. “I progressed incredibly quickly,” he says. “At the time I didn’t understand why, but now I understand that, psychologically, if your mind is open enough and believing enough, what may take a few years to do can happen much faster. It’s not that strange if you actually think about it. It’s basically what people say when they say ‘Think positive,’ you know? Plus, in my state of mind, I hung onto that guitar the way a person would grab a piece of shipwreck if he was drowning in the ocean. It was a lifeboat for me.”
    Been wondering as to whether Frank speaks much of his life in Montreal in 71/72.
    I mean, I got to Montreal around that time (left for Toronto in 74), but kind of curious as to what a guy with 7 years more than me might've experienced in the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    No. Columbia wanted to push him for more commercial popularity and they talked him into dropping Mahogany Rush from the band name, which started out as Mahogany Rush, then after the 4th album they became Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, Frank Marino followed that. Now since his comeback to the music biz in the late 90's they are Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush again.
    Back to the book in that DVD. I can't help but wonder why Ayoun$b left MR after What's Next and if the artwork is any signs of tensions between Frank & Jim (BTW, look at the extra hand & wrench between Frank & Vince ). Wonder what happened, cos he was a wild 100MPH drummer all the way through. It seems Ayoub found a +/- regular job with Nanette Workman, who did back-up vocals on Sister Change on Tales, for most of the 80's. (her album Chaude has a 16-mins suite about life on the road, BTW)

It doesn't seem like Harwood has done much (musically) since leaving MR in 86, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    As soon as Paul Harwood and Jimmy Ayoub left is when they ceased to be Mahogany Rush proper, regardless of what they called it.
    I still think of Power & Juggernaut as Mahogany Rush albums, though. The three albums afterwards (Circle Hip & Storm), not so at all.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Apparently there is a fairly-long bootleg DVD with at least 4 filmed 70's and early 80's performances (including A Kirschner concert). Been able to view some on YT
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/vi...a-guitar-hero/
    I kinda doubt it was released on DVD in 85, though.
    I have that. As far as I can tell that's mostly all there is, a Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, a Japanese TV thing, and the Bremont concert from 79. That's it. The last two songs on the DVD are from 83, and I believe a longer version of that concert circulates. And I think I've spotted a few other things on Youtube. Like I said, other than Cal Jam 2, or maybe some video screen feeds, there's probably not much that could be released besides those items. I read once the masters for the Bremont concert are lost, so what's on that bootleg DVD is probably as good as it's gonna get for that one.

Here it is, btw:

Last edited by GuitarGeek; 08-12-2022 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I don't find the price excessive either. Hope Frank sells a bundle!
    Agreed and it all depends how much you value a purchase like I do with other special deluxe packages. This one also has a 150 page book included according to the promo ad.