Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush Blu-Ray/DVD from 12-10-2010 show finally released

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ The "Real Live" release from 2004 is incredible.
    Yes, very nice. I have a signed copy.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-06-2019 at 10:26 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'd go for a 76 to 81 concert video (I could stretch that from 73 to 83) with the classic line-up (preferrably), but no wat I'm shelling out that much (£$€) for a 10's concert.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Here is an answer to the touring question , he was asked about it on his website forum back on Oct.24 , 2018.
    This is what he said:

"The only way I can possibly ever go out on tour again is if people support the DVD. I won't know that until it's released. I'm hoping for that support, for sure."
    That's unfortunate, because he would probably sell more DVDs at the shows than he will online, unless he's promoting the hell out of it. Plus, he'd make more money.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Is there a video of it?
    Not that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'd go for a 76 to 81 concert video (I could stretch that from 73 to 83) with the classic line-up (preferrably), but no wat I'm shelling out that much (£$€) for a 10's concert.
    Don't dismiss the later shows. When I saw him during that tour, he played non-stop for three hours. It was amazing.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Don't dismiss the later shows. When I saw him during that tour, he played non-stop for three hours. It was amazing.
    You're probably right , but just like for The Who or Genesis, I'd want to have a DVD where The Loon and Hackett are in the band

Ditto for Ayoub and Harwood. I grew up with FM&MR, but I didn't even know he was still playing diring the 90's and 00's (ok, I'm exagerating a bit about the 00's), so O lived my life without the music he made then (not a whole lot of new stuff during those decades)

Nowadays, I suppose that if he came to play within 100 kms from where I am, I'd do the trip no sweat, but that doesn't mean I would rush to the merchedising table and go broke on on it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Ditto for Ayoub and Harwood. I grew up with FM&MR, but I didn't even know he was still playing diring the 90's and 00's (ok, I'm exagerating a bit about the 00's), so O lived my life without the music he made then (not a whole lot of new stuff during those decades)
    I kinda had the impression he dropped out of music during the 90's. During the mid and late 80's, I think he continued to tour and released, I think two studio albums and a live album. I have the live disc, it's called Double Live, got it back when it first came out, in 89 or 90 or whenever it was. Good disc.

Anyway, I had the understanding that he got tired of dealing with "the biz", and quit, returned the civilian sector and got a straight job. I believe I read he was working computers during the 90's. Then somewhere in the late 90's, he realized there was still an audience that wanted to see him play. And that's when he returned to active duty.

As for live footage of the classic band with Ayoub and Harwood, I'm not sure much exists. I haven't done that much research, but the only things I've ever seen are the Bremont show from 79 (which I believe has Frank's brother Vince playing rhythm guitar), and a few TV things. If I'm not mistaken, at least some of the bands that played at the California Jam 2 were filmed, so that might exist, in a vault somewhere. One suspects there's got be some video screen feeds floating around. As much as he gigged back in those days, you have to figure he must have played at least a few places that had video screen systems, so there might tapes sitting somewhere of that too.

But as far as proper, 70's era, proshot concert footage, I think the chances of anything being out there falls somewhere between slim and none-at-all. Same story as every other band from that era, I'm afraid.

What I'd really love to hear is the tapes that were used to make up the original live album from 1978 or whenever it was. I'd love to know how much was recorded, if there was enough for a proper double LP or what. Likewise for the live tapes that were used for half of Tales Of The Unexpected. Of course, seeing as Sony couldn't be bothered to handle the reissues of the Marino catalog themselves, it seems unlikely they're gonna send into the vaults to find out what unreleased stuff there is in there.

BTW, am I the only one bugged by the fact that there's a drag queen out there calling himself Frank Marino?! Yeah, I know, it's probably a pretty common name, there's probably thousands of guys named Frank Marino out there. But it used to drive me crazy when I'd look Mahogany Rush stuff on E-bay, and the drag queen's crap kept popping up. And the other day, I was looking for something to watch on TV and some reality show with the drag queen guy in it popped up. I just rolled my eyes. (shrug)

Thanks for the word....I'll buy this!

My copy arrived today. I haven't delved into any of it yet, but it's a pretty impressive brick. Incidentally, no mention of Mahogany Rush on the cover. It's billed as Frank Marino.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Incidentally, no mention of Mahogany Rush on the cover. It's billed as Frank Marino.
    I was at the show and it was billed as Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush , not sure why he didn't use the full name on the DVD , but it doesn't really matter . He released 2 albums in the early 80's (The Power Of Rock And Roll & Juggernaut) when the band was called Frank Marino.

My copy is supposed to be here today , I can't wait!
    Last edited by bobert; 08-15-2019 at 05:18 PM.

I was at the show and it was billed as Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush , not sure why he didn't use the full name on the DVD , but it doesn't really matter . He released 2 albums in the early 80's (The Power Of Rock And Roll & Juggernaut) when the band was called Frank Marino.
    I remember making a fantastic Maxell XL-IIS compilation side taking the best tracks from both album, and you could swear we were back on the What's Next or Tales era (both had nothing but fantastic stuff on them), but the rest was not good good

I remember making a fantastic Maxell XL-IIS compilation side taking the best tracks from both album, and you could swear we were back on the What's Next or Tales era (both had nothing but fantastic stuff on them), but the rest was not good good
    I'd have to listen to Power Of Rock And Roll, but looking at the track list, the only song I can really recall is Not Dead Yet. But then I've not really spent much time with that particular album. On Juggernaut, about the only song I don't think is worthy might be Ditch Queen.

From Power of RnR
    A2 Play My Music 5:01
    A3 Stay With Me 4:18
    A4 Runnin' Wild 7:11
    B2 Go Strange 6:30
    B4 Ain't Dead Yet 6:59

From Juggernaut
    A1 Strange Dreams 5:02
    A2 Midnight Highway 3:43
    A3 Stories of a Hero 8:00
    B1 Maybe It's Time 6:04
    B2 Ditch Queen 6:36

But we're a far cry from What's Next and Tales, though.

I just finished watching the DVD , in a couple of sittings , all I can say is WOW!

As I said earlier in this thread I was there that night , so this makes the second time I have been blown away by this show , even though on the day and night of Frank and the band played for about two hours longer ( his endurance is remarkable) , at six hours this DVD concert video certainly captured the night .

What stuck out to me performance wise is how spot on Frank was , I mean many of these songs were never played live before but you would never know it , they executed flawlessly. And there were no long rehearsals leading up to this , he stated that in the accompanying book that comes with it , and I mean book , not booklet , it is 175 pages .

This thing was shot pristinely in high definition, perfect video quality and very little crowd panning , focused almost entirely on Frank and the band executing and jamming at the highest level.

The audio is also excellent , no surround sound , a pure stereo recording in lpcm stereo (not high res). Somebody asked him why no surround and he said he thought about it and even tested it but in his opinion stereo was the way to go , it sounds magnificent.

This thing to quite a while to see the light of day but boy oh boy is it worth it.

This thing was shot pristinely in high definition, perfect video quality and very little crowd panning , focused almost entirely on Frank and the band executing and jamming at the highest level.
    Is the editing comparable to the video posted on page 1 of this thread? That one has too many cuts, IMO, and I would prefer longer shots.

I really want this, but the price is a barrier. I might go in halves with my brother on this. I'd prefer to see a smaller set of this with juts the DVDs.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ron ,
    I didn't notice any edits , that videos that you are referencing was put out as a teaser. I'm no expert on when videos is edited or not but as I said I don't see anything.

Ron ,
    I didn't notice any edits , that videos that you are referencing was put out as a teaser. I'm no expert on when videos is edited or not but as I said I don't see anything.
    It's more a matter of whether there are long shots or tons of short ones. A bad example of over-editing with too many short edits, IMO, is "The Delicate Sound of Thunder."

I can only say that I think the thing was well filmed , a concert video almost exclusively focused on Frank and to a lesser extent his band mates , very little jumping back and forth , and very little crowd panning.

I can only say that I think the thing was well filmed , a concert video almost exclusively focused on Frank and to a lesser extent his band mates , very little jumping back and forth , and very little crowd panning.
    So are there long shots of him playing, or many short cuts of him playing? Just trying to understand a little better here. The teaser video has no long shots where you can study his playing.

All long shots

All long shots

It's more a matter of whether there are long shots or tons of short ones. A bad example of over-editing with too many short edits, IMO, is "The Delicate Sound of Thunder."
    As well as virtually every other concert video that's been made since about 1989 or so. One of the things that made concert films like The Song Remains The Same, the Grateful Dead Movie, The Last Waltz, and Stop Making Sense so great was that there wasn't a whole lot of that twitchy ADD style editing. They stayed on a shot for more than a couple seconds. You had long dissolves between two shots, things where a crane shot moves slowly from one angle to the next, or a camera changes focus as it emphasizes, say a guitarist in the foreground, then a bassist in the background. YOu can't do stuff like that when you're cutting away to a new shot every two seconds.

I thikn at some point in the late 80's, someone decided that kind of thing looked too good or whatever, and decided everything should be done with that sort of twitchy editing you see in every concert video that's made nowadays. You mentioned Delicate Sound Of Thunder, but there's also things like King Crimson's Deja Vrooom, and the DVD Magma put out in 2000 or whenever it was of them performing the entire Theusz Hamtaahk trilogy.

I always said if I got to be in a band that got to make a concert video I was either gonna direct it myself (as Jerry Garcia ostensibly did with the Grateful Dead Movie), or I was gonna stand behind the director and editor in the editing suite, with a pencil in my hand, and poke both in the back of the neck every time they start doing that kinda crap.

Oh and you can go ahead and laugh at the thought that there was a time when I actually thought someone was gonna put out a concert video of any music I might have been involved in.

^^ It's almost as if the editors simply aren't fans of anything but editing.

I agree. I saw Marino in concert several times during his '00s run when he was pretty active, and he was on fire every time. His bands from that period varied a bit in quality, though. I wish more of those shows had been recorded professionally. However, Real Live is probably a good-enough audio document of his latter period.

I recall him writing on his site that money is an issue for him to continue touring. He doesn't care about making money but also doesn't have the resources to just go out and lose a ton of it, which he says was a problem during the last decade.

^^ It's almost as if the editors simply aren't fans of anything but editing.
    I don't think it's the editors, it's the directors. It's the director who tells the editor what to do. On the Grateful Dead Movie audio commentary, there's a point where one of the participants, I forget who, but one of them says something to the effect you almost couldn't make a film like that today, because the trend shifted toward that twitchy editing style.

So I'm not sure if editors or directors even understand how to make a film like that now. Are there even cameramen who could do the kind of stuff you used to see in concert films? Does anyone how to to dissolve between two shots slowly, or how to overlap two cameras, say shooting a guitarist from two different angles? I've read that a lot of concert films are shot with these long range cameras. They put them in the back of the hall, so they "don't get in the way" (I bet Ritchie Blackmore would like that), but you're very limited in what you can show, beyond zooming in and out. And I've also seen stuff that looks like it was shot with security cameras, like they put a couple of these miniature cameras behind the drummer, or just in front of the drum kit, or they put one on the end of the keyboard rig, and you get these "perfect" but very static shots, every time you cut back to the drummer of the keyboardist, you get the exact same shot.

Ya want to see great rock concert cinematography? I don't care what you think about the Dead's music, that's not the point, mute the audio and listen to Crimson or whatever, here watch this:

or this

or even this

Are there even cameramen who know how to do the stuff you're seeing there anymore? Another great bit on the Grateful Dead Movie commentary is when Stella Blue is playing, and there's a moment where Jerry steps back from the microphone, out of shot, and the cameraman (can't remember his name, but apparently he was one of the guys you tried to get if you were doing a documentary during that era) just sort of gently zooms out until Jerry is in frame again. You almost don't realize it's happening. Anyway, on the commentary, someone says if it was him, he'd probably have panicked and yanked the camera to the left trying to get Jerry back into frame, and ruined "the moment" in the process.

I just checked in at Frank's website and somebody posted that his order number is 1524 , and some have posted that they bought more than one copy , all great news , mainly because it looks like Frank is making some money off this and if that is indeed the case he should tour again , fingers crossed.

I have to say again how great this show is , I have seen him live many times since the mid 70's , and been positioned right in front of the stage many times since he began playing clubs in the mid 80s, but to see him play this up close in HD quality video & perfect stereo audio is mind blowing , I have shaken my head in amazement over and over , the dude is one of the guitar greats and his band is also excellent.

It's almost the chicken and the egg thing: One might think he'd move more product if he did tour and sold them at the shows.