Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush Blu-Ray/DVD from 12-10-2010 show finally released

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush Blu-Ray/DVD from 12-10-2010 show finally released

I am happy to pass along to anybody who is interested that the marathon show by Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush from Cleveland back in Dec. of 2010 has been released. I was there for it and it was the best concert experience of my life , Frank ended up putting 6+ hours of what was 8 hours of music on that day , it will be a 4 disc set , 1 Blu-Ray along with 3 DVD's , 58 tracks in total as well as "a 180 page book that delivers an in-depth chronicle of his journey, from his early beginnings right up to this performance, as well as being filled with pictures that span Frank Marino’s career. The last 20 Chapters are written by Frank Marino in his own words and invite the reader to share intimate details about Frank’s experiences, the making of this project, his personal feelings and his outlook on his life and career".

While I don't know Frank personally I am a long time fan who has met him numerous times after shows and I also frequent his forum at the mahoganyrush.com website and I know how much of an effort it was to get this thing released , physical issues as well as getting the rights to release the covers he did as well as his own music which Sony has the rights to up to 1983 , so it was a tremendous achievement on Frank Marino's part to make this happen. I know that many people here are independent artists so they will understand the hoops that have to be jumped through when dealing with a major label on music that they have the rights to.

I will post the link below , I tried to copy and paste it but it didn't work.

https://www.mahoganyrush.net/dvd/#song-mlink

FINALLY!!!!!!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Sweet! I was there for the weekend too. I saw most of the main performance, and I also went to the dress rehearsal thing the day before too. I'll have to put this on the short list.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I love Frank but $150 Canadian with shipping is pretty expensive.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I love Frank but $150 Canadian with shipping is pretty expensive.

I would have bought it anyway , but I believe 100.00 for 6+ hours of music for a blu-ray plus the 3 DVD’s is fair. The guy has been an independent artist for over 30 years with sort of an underground following so he deserves to make a little money on this. I have spent lots of money over the years on these various reissues by bands like Yes , King Crimson , Jethro Tull , etc. with half the amount of music on them .

Not judging, just my opinion.
    Last edited by bobert; 08-03-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Yeah, I think 100 bucks is a reasonable price. I don't have it at the moment, but this is definitely going on the short list, once I can earmark some green folding paper.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is 100.00 American plus shipping , 131.65 Canadian to be exact.

I would have bought it anyway , but I believe 100.00 for 6+ hours of music for a blu-ray plus the 3 DVD’s is fair. The guy has been an independent artist for over 30 years with sort of an underground following so he deserves to make a little money on this. I have spent lots of money over the years on these various reissues by bands like Yes , King Crimson , Jethro Tull , etc. with half the amount of music on them .

Not judging, just my opinion.
    Wrong. It's $146.63 to be exact. I said expensive, which it it, not value for money. I hope this set sells through the roof, Frank deserves it but I'm finding is hard to justify this type of expense.

If you click the large Purchase Here button you'll see the price I cited.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-30-2019 at 10:07 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

My order was 693. I hope that represents number of purchases so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Wrong. It's $146.63 to be exact. I said expensive, which it it, not value for money. I hope this set sells through the roof, Frank deserves it but I'm finding is hard to justify this type of expense.

If you click the large Purchase Here button you'll see the price I cited.
    I was quoting the prices before shipping , I probably should have left the first paragraph off of my post . Sorry about that.

My point was that I don’t find the price excessive . I also hope Frank does well with this , he does deserve it.
    Last edited by bobert; 08-03-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Good to see the FM support.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post

My point was that I don’t find the price excessive . I also hope Frank does well with this , he does deserve it.
    I don't find the price excessive either. Hope Frank sells a bundle!

It is a bit rich for me. I want to buy it. I'm just not sure. I'd rather see him hit the road again. Any updates on what's been going on the last few years? Has he had health problems?

I've seen some of the greatest guitarists in rock history, but nobody blew me away like Frank Marino.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Frank Marino sadly remains on my "Guitarists-to-see" bucket-list.
    G.A.S -aholic

This?

^^ It must be, as there's no other high-quality footage of him that I know of out there.

A bit too many edits, IMHO.

That video is from the Agora show on Dec. 10 , 2010 , it was released as a teaser about 3 years ago It was done long before the DVD was finished.

The only editing (on the finished product) that I am aware of was with the drums , there was a major issue and that was one of the reasons it took so long to release this thing.
    Last edited by bobert; 08-01-2019 at 01:40 PM.

I'm hoping Frank does some touring to promote this set.

Does anyone know what has kept him off the road?

I'm really hesitant at dropping a hundred bucks for it. If he eventually releases the 3 DVDs in a smaller set, then it's a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Does anyone know what has kept him off the road?
    I'm curious too. Saw him many times back in the day. This guy was shredding before there were shredders.

This article from 2015 kind of explains things about Frank's current situation/plans. Now that this DVD is released, just maaaayyyybe he might tour again? (fingers crossed).
    The last few paragraphs kind of explain it.

https://www.guitarworld.com/magazine...saved-his-life

Here is an answer to the touring question , he was asked about it on his website forum back on Oct.24 , 2018.
    This is what he said:

"The only way I can possibly ever go out on tour again is if people support the DVD. I won't know that until it's released. I'm hoping for that support, for sure."

^^ It must be, as there's no other high-quality footage of him that I know of out there.
    There's a few things, but nothing I'd characterize as "definitive". There was a really good show from the late 90's recorded at some outdoor festival that he played at, on Canada Day, but the rest of it stuff from the 70's, either TV things (e.g. Don Kirshner, and there's a Japanese TV thing) or what appears to be video screen feed (the Bremont show from 79).

I saw Frank a bunch of times circa 2000-2010. I'm not positive but I think I saw him five or six times during that era, he always put on a great show. I've got some good photos I took from the time he played at the Beachland Ballroom, I think around 2006 or 2007, something like that.

^^ The "Real Live" release from 2004 is incredible.

Saw Mahogany Rush about 74 when my friend was Arts and Entertainment Editor at my alma mater, University of Vermont. He interviewed Frank the day before the show
    and got two seats up front. Whoa baby!
    I also saw him some time in the 80s and he seemed to play forever, as I recall. I must still be there then.
    I too hope he sells loads of this package. Too much for me. I prefer to spend on concerts. If he comes around, I'll see him. Wait, I'm still at the concert.

^^ The "Real Live" release from 2004 is incredible.
    Is there a video of it?