Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 65 of 65

Thread: Tool - Fear Inoculum - 8/30

  1. #51
    NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,495
    If you like what Tool is doing, all power to you. I personally don't hear much, if anything, new from them from what I heard from "10,000 Days" or their new single. I was hoping for some sort of evolution of their sound.

    You can bring up Rush all you want. Like the later material or not, you can't say that "Grace Under Pressure" and "Clockwork Angels" sound anything alike.
    Chad

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Really? One man's art is another's trash.


    And for this TOOL fan, the packaging is specifically designed to annoy and distract from the regression of their sound/ethos and the generally weaker set of tuneage on 10k Days.

    YMMV but when the fucking thing adds no value to the contents therein (and that is NOT the case for aenima or lateralus) its excessive and useless for the aake of being excessive and useless.
    Well I'm sorry you feel that way. Nice way to sidestep the question of art and practicality though.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Well, people can say that about any band that they either don't like, or have lost interest in, Chad. I thought that after Signals Rush kept making the same old, same old album, every time. You might disagree. And, of course, this is always the dilemma of a band. If they don't change enough, they aren't evolving, if they change a lot, but the older fans think it sucks, then they've sold out. Personally, I'm fine with a band doing variations on their basic sound, but still sounding recognizable, as long as the music is still good, which for me, Tool have continued to do.

    neil
    This is pretty much my feeling on it too, with all of it (except for Rush making the same album every time; I thought it was just almost every time ). I'm fine with Tool still sounding recognizable. And as I've said before, this is only one song. I'll wait until I hear the whole CD before I give it the "Best Album Ever" or "Worst Album Ever" award.


    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    If you like what Tool is doing, all power to you. I personally don't hear much, if anything, new from them from what I heard from "10,000 Days" or their new single. I was hoping for some sort of evolution of their sound.

    You can bring up Rush all you want. Like the later material or not, you can't say that "Grace Under Pressure" and "Clockwork Angels" sound anything alike.
    A big difference with Rush is that none of the members had any side projects to speak of during their heyday. Rush was their only real output for music, so that is why there could be so much difference between "Grace Under Pressure" and "Clockwork Angels". Rush was also much more prolific than Tool has been, and they were also around a lot longer than Tool, so that argument doesn't really hold any water IMO.

    With Tool, the members have had multiple other projects going on outside of the band (A Perfect Circle, Puscifer, Volta, and others) where they can do some different things. It's a difficult tightrope to walk for any band, being different enough but not too different.

  4. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    If you like what Tool is doing, all power to you. I personally don't hear much, if anything, new from them from what I heard from "10,000 Days" or their new single. I was hoping for some sort of evolution of their sound.

    You can bring up Rush all you want. Like the later material or not, you can't say that "Grace Under Pressure" and "Clockwork Angels" sound anything alike.
    You have to understand, Chad. I was (and still am) a MASSIVE Rush fan, probably when you were still a very young lad. They were of gigantic importance to me. A Farewell to Kings was the first concert I ever went to, without parental accompaniment. So, I am the last person who will bash Rush. Having said that, to us that grew up on 2112, AFTK and Hemispheres, well, a lot of my friends and I didn't even like Moving Pictures when it came out! Of course it's a great album, but to us, at the time, that was selling out. So, despite adding more synths, then later taking them away, I just don't think they changed that much after that. So, for me, yes I can say that. Anyways, I'm not contending that Tool have radically altered their sound, they are just still working in a style that I like...kind of like if Rush had kept making variances on Permanent Waves, over the next bunch of albums.

    neil

  5. #55
    NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    A big difference with Rush is that none of the members had any side projects to speak of during their heyday. Rush was their only real output for music, so that is why there could be so much difference between "Grace Under Pressure" and "Clockwork Angels". Rush was also much more prolific than Tool has been, and they were also around a lot longer than Tool, so that argument doesn't really hold any water IMO.
    So Tool sounds the same from album to album because the band members have side projects to outlet other creativity? Usually when band members have side projects, they come back to the main band re-energized and the music benefits from new influences, etc. Little water here. And the longevity argument is a sieve.

    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Anyways, I'm not contending that Tool have radically altered their sound, they are just still working in a style that I like
    And that's great. I'm glad you like what they do. A lot of folks do. If I have to put "IMHO" on this thread then we are back to square one.
    Chad

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    So Tool sounds the same from album to album because the band members have side projects to outlet other creativity? Usually when band members have side projects, they come back to the main band re-energized and the music benefits from new influences, etc. Little water here. And the longevity argument is a sieve.
    No, my point is that it's apples and oranges. And I think you're overlooking what is more often the case with side projects, in that they act as an outlet for music that wouldn't fit within the confines of the main band's sound. Seldom do I hear a side project sound trickle back into the main project -- although some of what Maynard James Keenan was doing after Lateralus apparently had an influence on his singing style because he did some different things on 10,000 Days, so it's not unheard of.

    And I don't think Tool "sounds the same" from one album to the next, but they still sound like themselves -- just like Rush always has sounded like Rush.
    Last edited by aith01; 6 Days Ago at 03:28 PM.

  7. #57
    Member sergio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Green-Clean
    Posts
    154
    it's just down to if you like it or not... 10000 sounded pretty epic in places, not all of it. Dont like that "meandering" bits on Wings etc... just cut BS and give us more Pot, Jambi, Rosetta etc

  8. #58
    PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    West Milford NJ
    Posts
    191
    My first impression: Deja Vu......

    This is what we've been waiting more then a decade for?

    I need to listen more then twice, and I did like it a lot more the second time around. And I don't mind them maintaining their signature sound.

    But if the rest of the album implies we might have heard these riffs before, major major letdown...but let's wait and see.

    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Really? One man's art is another's trash.


    And for this TOOL fan, the packaging is specifically designed to annoy and distract from the regression of their sound/ethos and the generally weaker set of tuneage on 10k Days.

    YMMV but when the fucking thing adds no value to the contents therein (and that is NOT the case for aenima or lateralus) its excessive and useless for the aake of being excessive and useless.
    Nailed it. Artwork on the album is nice but not worth the extra 10K days it takes to release the album with the art designed to distract from the weak tunes.. Just get the music out there, I look at the album cover a few times but the music is the friggin point guys....
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

  9. #59
    Member progholio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    st louis
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by Guntrip View Post
    Tool's journey:

    Opiate -> angry teenager disillusioned with organized religion rants about how shitty things are.
    Undertow -> slightly older but still angry teenager disillusioned with himself rants about how shitty he is.
    Aenima -> angry young adult disillusioned with culture rants about how shitty everyone is, but also discovers pot and magic mushrooms and starts to grow as a person.
    Lateralus -> now an adult, our hero reconciles self with the world, finally learns to let go of past burdens, forgive, accept, and embrace personal spirituality in a moment of genuine cosmic clarity.
    10,000 Days -> cosmic oneness only lasts as long as the acid does. Now our adult is left wondering 'now what?' and falls back on what he already knows. Vacillates between 'enlightenment' and 'everyone is stupid.' No growth occurs. Tries to hide relative lack of musical and spiritual progress with gimmicky 3D goggles installed in a cardboard box that falls apart in one week.
    Fear Inoculum -> I'm too old for this shit but I'm still going to buy their 50$ "tri-fold Soft Pack Video Brochure," which includes a built-in, 4-inch HD screen so I can get high and look at edgy renderings of eyeballs for an hour because I'm a fucking tool.

    Great single, tho.
    Great summary, is this from the perspective of the listener or the artist?

    I like Tool a lot, not an uberfan but i do own have enjoyed all of the studio releases. After listening to Fear Inoculum single it sounds like (i hate to say this) more of the same, like i've heard this somewhere before. I might be alright borrowing a copy.

    Btw, i don't understand the Rush references.
    And the King Crimson comparison? Other than they once toured together they are completely different.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    [...] let's wait and see.
    Good idea.


    Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Nailed it. Artwork on the album is nice but not worth the extra 10K days it takes to release the album with the art designed to distract from the weak tunes.. Just get the music out there, I look at the album cover a few times but the music is the friggin point guys....
    Well I, for one, appreciate that they do something different with the packaging than 99% of every other CD release. Do you seriously believe that it somehow negatively impacts the actual music-making process?

  11. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

    And I don't think Tool "sounds the same" from one album to the next, but they still sound like themselves -- just like Rush always has sounded like Rush.
    Absolutely this.

    neil

  12. #62
    PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    West Milford NJ
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Good idea.




    Well I, for one, appreciate that they do something different with the packaging than 99% of every other CD release. Do you seriously believe that it somehow negatively impacts the actual music-making process?
    I don't think anyone here is ready to write the whole new album off based on one song. Waiting is fine, but expectations are sky high. Based on the title track, it may indeed be time to dial our expectations back a bit.

    Yes I appreciate different artwork, but 3D glasses? I think 99% of the buyers of 10K days used those ridiculous glasses a few time at most.

    I know for a fact the art has negatively impacted the band because of the infamous lawsuit they are involved with, which led to massive delays in releasing their music. I also suspect the band and the fans would be better served with simple album artwork and more concentration on the music instead of the obvious focus on fancy art work nobody really looks at all that much....
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I don't think anyone here is ready to write the whole new album off based on one song. Waiting is fine, but expectations are sky high. Based on the title track, it may indeed be time to dial our expectations back a bit.

    Yes I appreciate different artwork, but 3D glasses? I think 99% of the buyers of 10K days used those ridiculous glasses a few time at most.

    I know for a fact the art has negatively impacted the band because of the infamous lawsuit they are involved with, which led to massive delays in releasing their music. I also suspect the band and the fans would be better served with simple album artwork and more concentration on the music instead of the obvious focus on fancy art work nobody really looks at all that much....
    I broke out 10,000 Days just the other day and yes, I browsed the 3D booklet the whole time. I thought it was very clever, still do. Big fat *shrug* for different strokes...
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Yes I appreciate different artwork, but 3D glasses? I think 99% of the buyers of 10K days used those ridiculous glasses a few time at most.

    I know for a fact the art has negatively impacted the band because of the infamous lawsuit they are involved with, which led to massive delays in releasing their music. I also suspect the band and the fans would be better served with simple album artwork and more concentration on the music instead of the obvious focus on fancy art work nobody really looks at all that much....
    I was talking about the different packaging negatively impacting the music, not about legal troubles affecting the band pertaining to the artwork used. Those are two different things.

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I broke out 10,000 Days just the other day and yes, I browsed the 3D booklet the whole time. I thought it was very clever, still do. Big fat *shrug* for different strokes...
    Glad to hear this.

    And thought it was clever too. Like you said: *shrug*

    Can't please everybody.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •