Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool - Fear Inoculum - 8/30

I'm really liking that single but I balk at spending $40+ for the entire package.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Maynard James Keenan was the guest on Joe Rogan's podcast the other day, at the beginning of which he announced the release of the entire Tool catalog on all streaming services. I'm not really into Tool (too dark for me), but I have to say MJK is still a fascinating character, so it was a pretty interesting interview. I didn't realize the guy had so many different irons in the fire, not to mention being in three different bands.
    He was also on Sammy Hagar's Road Trip show on Axis TV a week or so. Interesting dude for sure. He grew up in Grand Rapids MI about 45 minutes from me and Tool used to play Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo just about every tour, but it has been a long time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm really liking that single but I balk at spending $40+ for the entire package.
    Believe it or not, the lowest price I've seen in European stores so far is 85€ (= $95) at amazon.de.

Old man of prog
    The first "single" is so effing great!
    I think I'm going to take release day 8/30 off from work.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    The first "single" is so effing great!
    I think I'm going to take release day 8/30 off from work.
    I'm really glad to hear this. A lot of my hard core metal and long time Tool-fan friends on Facebook are trashing the single, so this is great to hear. They are auto-buy for me, but I won't listen to a single note, until the album comes out, lol.

neil

thinking it's not worth $80 or whatever they are asking... I'm saying take it easy and spare a $20 maybe a month later. And then spend 13 years analyzing. Yip, I'll stick to that plan

Sorry, what's all this about FI being a $100 album!? Are they making up for the last 13 years?

Tried numerous times to get into Tool - never works - this new ones sounds like all the rest but I dont know their music that well anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    Believe it or not, the lowest price I've seen in European stores so far is 85€ (= $95) at amazon.de.
    https://justforkicks.de/shop/progres...lum-limited-cd

^^

I'm Abit confused: Is this expansive thingy now an whole album or just a single?
    And will there be a normal Version without that that HD screen nonsense?

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Hmm. Same old shit from Tool. Same reason I didn't buy "10,000 Days."
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Hmm. Same old shit from Tool. Same reason I didn't buy "10,000 Days."
    The music, or the packaging?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The music, or the packaging?
    Your choice.
    Chad

Your choice.
    lol What was wrong with the packaging for 10,000 Days?

The eons are closing
    Other than the absolute excessiveness and impracticality of the packaging? Nothing really, and Im a fan.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Other than the absolute excessiveness and impracticality of the packaging? Nothing really, and Im a fan.
    "Absolute excessiveness"?

Since when has art ever been about practicality?

Sheesh! Some people...

I forget this is PE, where we can complain about anything.

I could careless about the packaging. I thought you meant the artwork. Either way, the music is same old same old.
    Chad

I could careless about the packaging. I thought you meant the artwork. Either way, the music is same old same old.
    You're referring to the new single, or all of the new album?

The new song didn't blow me away, but I'll reserve judgement until I can hear the whole thing.

10,000 Days had Tool incorporating some new things, which didn't go over well with some fans. I wouldn't call it "more of the same", but whatever.

I wouldn't expect another Ænima or Lateralus.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I wouldn't expect another Ænima or Lateralus.
    Neither would I.

The eons are closing
    "Absolute excessiveness"?

Since when has art ever been about practicality?

Sheesh! Some people...

I forget this is PE, where we can complain about anything. [emoji38]
    Really? One man's art is another's trash.

And for this TOOL fan, the packaging is specifically designed to annoy and distract from the regression of their sound/ethos and the generally weaker set of tuneage on 10k Days.

YMMV but when the fucking thing adds no value to the contents therein (and that is NOT the case for aenima or lateralus) its excessive and useless for the aake of being excessive and useless.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Neither would I.
    Tool's journey:

Opiate -> angry teenager disillusioned with organized religion rants about how shitty things are.
    Undertow -> slightly older but still angry teenager disillusioned with himself rants about how shitty he is.
    Aenima -> angry young adult disillusioned with culture rants about how shitty everyone is, but also discovers pot and magic mushrooms and starts to grow as a person.
    Lateralus -> now an adult, our hero reconciles self with the world, finally learns to let go of past burdens, forgive, accept, and embrace personal spirituality in a moment of genuine cosmic clarity.
    10,000 Days -> cosmic oneness only lasts as long as the acid does. Now our adult is left wondering 'now what?' and falls back on what he already knows. Vacillates between 'enlightenment' and 'everyone is stupid.' No growth occurs. Tries to hide relative lack of musical and spiritual progress with gimmicky 3D goggles installed in a cardboard box that falls apart in one week.
    Fear Inoculum -> I'm too old for this shit but I'm still going to buy their 50$ "tri-fold Soft Pack Video Brochure," which includes a built-in, 4-inch HD screen so I can get high and look at edgy renderings of eyeballs for an hour because I'm a fucking tool.

Great single, tho.

Yep this tune is Tool alright!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Well, people can say that about any band that they either don't like, or have lost interest in, Chad. I thought that after Signals Rush kept making the same old, same old album, every time. You might disagree. And, of course, this is always the dilemma of a band. If they don't change enough, they aren't evolving, if they change a lot, but the older fans think it sucks, then they've sold out. Personally, I'm fine with a band doing variations on their basic sound, but still sounding recognizable, as long as the music is still good, which for me, Tool have continued to do.

neil

If you like what Tool is doing, all power to you. I personally don't hear much, if anything, new from them from what I heard from "10,000 Days" or their new single. I was hoping for some sort of evolution of their sound.

You can bring up Rush all you want. Like the later material or not, you can't say that "Grace Under Pressure" and "Clockwork Angels" sound anything alike.
    Chad