Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool - Fear Inoculum - 8/30

The eons are closing

Tool - Fear Inoculum - 8/30

Finally a true release date.
    Looking forward to this, but pray I enjoy it more than 10k Days as i found that underwhelming.

Also - finally old Tool on streaming services.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/07/30/ent...treaming-trnd/
    Last edited by MudShark22; 07-30-2019 at 02:10 PM.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Listening to a Tool album depresses me so much I have to listen to Pearl Jam's 10 to feel better.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 07-30-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

The eons are closing
    I never understood that point.

For example - Morrissey is a such a depressing turd of a listen "so sad i wanna die......" crap that a 24 hour diet of Peter Noone wouldnt erase it.

Nothing really like that with Tool.

Now if you are really reflecting on their 'uncomfortable' (for some) content, then that I could understand.

What part of not understanding are you referring to? the depressing part?
    I've tried listening and even had a copy of 10,000 days. I wanted to like them a lot because I think they are very thoughtful, talented, intelligent and excellent musicians.
    I find the chords and textures they use depressing, and Maynard's vocals I also find deep and dark .
    They have been compared as modern day King Crimson and I love King Crimson and even with their most difficult music I don't find KC depressing, so go figure.

As far as lyrics go, I couldn't tell you because I can't hear them, and they were very hard to read on my 10,000 days cd, which I donated to Salvation Army store.

This is just how Tool sounds to me, not my cup of tea, but I understand why people like them.

Depressing is probably the wrong term now that I think about it. Heavy? help me out here.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 07-30-2019 at 06:52 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Auto buy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Auto buy for me.
    +1

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    +1

neil
    Yep.

I am also on the auto buy bandwagon. Great band.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post

Depressing is probably the wrong term now that I think about it. Heavy? help me out here.
    Well they named the new one Fear Inoculum. Nothing heavy or depressing about that.

For me, the talent over rides all. I do have to be in the mood for a session with the band, but when I am, I feel good. Steven Wilson says that sad music makes him happy, for me it is somewhat similar.

The live show is an absolute experience, and I figure that may be why there is no official live release. The tool live experience is tough to capture on mere film.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post

The live show is an absolute experience, and I figure that may be why there is no official live release. The tool live experience is tough to capture on mere film.
    They had intended to release a live of some shows filmed around the time of the Lateralus tour, but were unhappy with the quality of the footage shot. Many fans, of course, have made cuts of entire shows, from sneaky multiple camera recordings, to try and capture that absolute experience.

neil

The eons are closing
    TC - sorry I didn't respond earlier, battling sooper nasty bronchitis and have been wiped out.

From my vantage:

Depressing is like AiC's "Down in hole"; (sticking with the grunge angle)

for these ears Tool is dark, foreboding, creepy.
    Like a gnarly thunderstorm breaking against desolate cliffs - sometimes raging, sometime eerily calm, sometimes purely elemental, sometimes thought provoking.

Hope that helps clarify where i was coming from re: depressing

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Well they named the new one Fear Inoculum. Nothing heavy or depressing about that.

For me, the talent over rides all. I do have to be in the mood for a session with the band, but when I am, I feel good. Steven Wilson says that sad music makes him happy, for me it is somewhat similar.

That's a great explanation and I appreciate your response. I agree about having to be in the mood, it's just hard to find that mood anymore so I gave away my cd.
    There was a period besides loving my prog I was listening to bands like 3 Doors Down and a band called 10 Years having discovered their debut album The Autumn Effect and later the 2nd one Division.
    They were part of a genre that I think melded metal/grunge/? together which focused on dark personal angst but had a bit of prog elements and elevated lyrics.
    Now and then I'll get in the mood and pull one of them out and listen but not very often.

To me Tool requires the time and mood to sit and devote your entire attention to their albums. They aren't something you put on in the background and hum along while working on a project. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    TC - sorry I didn't respond earlier, battling sooper nasty bronchitis and have been wiped out.

From my vantage:

Depressing is like AiC's "Down in hole"; (sticking with the grunge angle)

for these ears Tool is dark, foreboding, creepy.
    Like a gnarly thunderstorm breaking against desolate cliffs - sometimes raging, sometime eerily calm, sometimes purely elemental, sometimes thought provoking.

Hope that helps clarify where i was coming from re: depressing
    Sorry to hear about not feeling well, that's some nasty stuff dealing with bronchitis.
    As you can see I amended my comment to suggest dark instead of depressing.
    Hope you feel better and love the new album when it's released.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    That's a great explanation and I appreciate your response. I agree about having to be in the mood, it's just hard to find that mood anymore so I gave away my cd.

Now and then I'll get in the mood and pull one of them out and listen but not very often.

To me Tool requires the time and mood to sit and devote your entire attention to their albums. They aren't something you put on in the background and hum along while working on a project. lol
    You're welcome!

What I should have made more clear to you is I mentioned their live show as a reason to get in the mood. If you get a chance to see the tool live immersion experience yourself, you should take it.

Still won't make them background music, but an unforgettable experience that will change your mind is what you will receive.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

As long as they have been away, the tour for this album is likely to be pricey.

The eons are closing
    They've been touring most years sonce 2009, helped support their never ending litigation.

So i do not think per se that it will be more expensive than their most recent jaunts

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    As long as they have been away, the tour for this album is likely to be pricey.
    Well they have toured actively in the years between 10 000 Days and this new album.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    They've been touring most years sonce 2009, helped support their never ending litigation.

So i do not think per se that it will be more expensive than their most recent jaunts
    Ha, not to mention, to help raise funds, so Maynard can build more wings for his winery!

neil

Damn. I don't think they came around here.

The eons are closing
    They rarely went east of mississippi river.

I kept trying to get red rocks tix when they tour....

Try as I might, this is not a band I really get in to. However, I have a fond spot for Maynard James Kennan, since he makes some really fine wine under the Cadeucus label- no joke, it is very good, and is made outside of Sedona, AZ.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

In an attempt to understand Tool better, I've been enjoying perusing YT and watching videos of interviews and clips.
    I find Maynard quite an interesting chap and the band writes some really great music, but the serious side is something I've left behind years ago(searching/discovering the meaning of life, etc).

Here is one showing Maynard's different characters he's performed as on stage(I love these).

Old man of prog
    BREAKING NEWS: Tomorrow entire Tool catalogue will be available for lossless and HiRes streaming and download (96/24!) on all the usual services. I will be on Qobuz tonite at 12:01AM EST lol.

What part of not understanding are you referring to? the depressing part?
    I've tried listening and even had a copy of 10,000 days. I wanted to like them a lot because I think they are very thoughtful, talented, intelligent and excellent musicians.
    I find the chords and textures they use depressing, and Maynard's vocals I also find deep and dark .
    They have been compared as modern day King Crimson and I love King Crimson and even with their most difficult music I don't find KC depressing, so go figure.

As far as lyrics go, I couldn't tell you because I can't hear them, and they were very hard to read on my 10,000 days cd, which I donated to Salvation Army store.

This is just how Tool sounds to me, not my cup of tea, but I understand why people like them.

Tool reminds me of constipated large colon, excruciating gas pain, tension before the bowel dam breaks into debilitating diarrhea, gully washer. Auto buy.

“RUSH for juggalos”.

i rather like that.

I prefer Morrissey.
    The Prog Corner