Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool - Fear Inoculum - 8/30

OMG...reading all this negativity is a great reminder why I don't visit here much anymore. I just finished listening to Fear Inoculum...alone, start to finish, on a good stereo...really fucking loud. All I can say is, WOW, you're missing out. I know you don't think so, but you are. I'll take this over 95% of the rest of the music discussed here, anyday. I can't wait to play it for my grandson tomorrow.
    "And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the penis of an alien?"

^^ While I agree about there being a lot of negativity in this thread, overall I’d say there’s more good here on PE than what threads like this exemplify. There’s always gonna be a few moaners and mockers — and people who just cannot be pleased — but there’s a lot of good eggs here too.

Glad you enjoyed the new album!

I haven’t heard it. Been waiting until I can give it full attention, and in the office at work is less than ideal.

Jon Neudorf
    I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. I dont post alot and when I do it is almost always in a positive nature. That said, I will not back down from my previous post. Making a package like this for a 'special' occasion or release is one thing but this is just a new album. I think this will be at the exclusion of many fans which I think is a shame. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. I dont post alot and when I do it is almost always in a positive nature. That said, I will not back down from my previous post. Making a package like this for a 'special' occasion or release is one thing but this is just a new album. I think this will be at the exclusion of many fans which I think is a shame. Just my two cents.
    I guess I’m not sure what you’re mad about exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^^ While I agree about there being a lot of negativity in this thread, overall I’d say there’s more good here on PE than what threads like this exemplify. There’s always gonna be a few moaners and mockers — and people who just cannot be pleased — but there’s a lot of good eggs here too.
    There's a great lyric in 7empest that sums up your post perfectly: Disputing intentions invites devastation

Casting aside the nuance of opinions you don't agree with as mere 'moaning' and reducing critics to 'bad eggs' is a tremendously immature stance for anyone to take. Couching it in shame driven language and making assumptions about the intentions of posters who do not share your positive outlook is not only dismissive and childish, but utterly unproductive. Positivity and negativity are both required for full engagement with art, and exposure to a diversity of opinions is entirely the purpose of forums like these. The world is not an echo chamber: dissent exists, whether it aligns with your feelings or not.

I guess I’m not sure what you’re mad about exactly.
    I think he made that abundantly clear. He feels that it is too expensive. Not everyone has the cash to afford these things, or to pay for high quality streaming services. He may also (like me) simply see it as a meaningless extravagance. That's a valid criticism, and one that is not at all worthy of being dismissed so thoughtlessly.

^ correct listening order is:

1. Fear Inoculum
    2. Pneuma
    3. Invincible
    4. Descending
    5. Culling Voices
    6. Chocolate Chip Trip
    7. 7empest

Invincible really is a great track. Descending is probably my second favorite at the moment. MJK's lyrics are the highlight of the album for me by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntrip View Post
    Positivity and negativity are both required for full engagement with art, and exposure to a diversity of opinions is entirely the purpose of forums like these. The world is not an echo chamber: dissent exists, whether it aligns with your feelings or not.

I think he made that abundantly clear. He feels that it is too expensive. Not everyone has the cash to afford these things, or to pay for high quality streaming services. He may also (like me) simply see it as a meaningless extravagance. That's a valid criticism, and one that is not at all worthy of being dismissed so thoughtlessly.
    No one said people aren't entitled to their opinions. I only commented on the negative tone of the thread from page one. If a person comes into a thread about ANY band, and starts taking a crap on an album before they've even heard it, well, that's just being a dick, and in no way contributes to a meaningful discussion about the subject.

As for the price and packaging; yes, it is expensive and extravagant to some degree, but the download isn't. You don't have to belong to a 'high quality streaming service', you can buy it at Amazon for $11. I'm willing to bet, that some of the same people complaining about the unique packaging of this release, have in the past, complained about not being able to get cool album art packaging anymore. Tool is a totally immersive band, every detail of their releases are part of the whole. Maybe cut them a little slack for actually being creative instead of copying some other ancient relic of a band.
    Last edited by Captain Geech; 08-31-2019 at 07:50 AM.
    "And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the penis of an alien?"

Right on Captain, I really love to just check out good clear open minded music reviews on here. Way Too much negativity on here. Just love what you love.... screw the naysayers....

I really like what I have heard (NP: Invincible) but I am going to hold out for a bit to see if a CD is released without all the extras. The MP3 is tempting but it wouldn't give me the full "Tool" experience on the rig in the living room.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Jon Neudorf
    Perhaps I took the negative tone comment too personal. And yes, money is tight. If they do come out with a reasonable package I'll definitely purchase it.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Geech View Post
    No one said people aren't entitled to their opinions. I only commented on the negative tone of the thread from page one. If a person comes into a thread about ANY band, and starts taking a crap on an album before they've even heard it, well, that's just being a dick, and in no way contributes to a meaningful discussion about the subject.

As for the price and packaging; yes, it is expensive and extravagant to some degree, but the download isn't. You don't have to belong to a 'high quality streaming service', you can buy it at Amazon for $11. I'm willing to bet, that some of the same people complaining about the unique packaging of this release, have in the past, complained about not being able to get cool album art packaging anymore. Tool is a totally immersive band, every detail of their releases are part of the whole. Maybe cut them a little slack for actually being creative instead of copying some other ancient relic of a band.
    So now I'm a dick? Really? And you can this definitively. Now who's being negative? I have gone a long way to support artists. Check out any of my reviews on sea of tranquility. I think I have been very fair over the years.

I like the album. At 2 or 3 places (loud sections like Pneuma 10:57), I'm hearing a little distortion on the drums. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    Right on Captain, I really love to just check out good clear open minded music reviews on here. Way Too much negativity on here. Just love what you love.... screw the naysayers....
    Why don't you just add "clear open minded reviews" + that absolutely coincide with my own views - to make it fully understandable for the rest of us?

The album is uninspired and monotonous to the point of being unlistenable. Its real content of musical ideas is so scarce that it could very well fit into 5 minutes of good music. Great production and playing from the musicians (drums in particular) does not change this.

That's my review of it, but obviously it stems from my not-clear, not open minded, nay-saying nature. As all opinions that are different from yours.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    So now I'm a dick? Really? And you can this definitively. Now who's being negative? I have gone a long way to support artists. Check out any of my reviews on sea of tranquility. I think I have been very fair over the years.
    Well, that's not what I said at all. And I didn't say it about you specifically either. This is what I said and I stand by it. (If a person comes into a thread about ANY band, and starts taking a crap on an album before they've even heard it, well, that's just being a dick, and in no way contributes to a meaningful discussion about the subject.) Sorry you took it personally.

Jon Neudorf
    It just sounded like it. And I did come into the thread, as a fan i might add. I have followed the band since their inception and am informed in all things Tool. This had nothing to do with 'hearing' the album. It's about elitist exclusivity IMHO. And I stand buy it. Think its time to put this to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Is there really no way to purchase Fear Inoculum at a somewhat normal CD price (< $20)?
    Man, I sure hope so.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Is there really no way to purchase Fear Inoculum at a somewhat normal CD price (< $20)?
    Soon. As 2nd hand.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

As for the price and packaging; yes, it is expensive and extravagant to some degree, but the download isn't. You don't have to belong to a 'high quality streaming service', you can buy it at Amazon for $11.
    Not me. I've never bought a download, and I never will. Physical media only.

I'm willing to bet, that some of the same people complaining about the unique packaging of this release, have in the past, complained about not being able to get cool album art packaging anymore. Tool is a totally immersive band, every detail of their releases are part of the whole. Maybe cut them a little slack for actually being creative instead of copying some other ancient relic of a band.
    Or maybe some people don't think the album is "$80 good"!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Not me. I've never bought a download, and I never will. Physical media only.

Or maybe some people don't think the album is "$80 good"!
    Totally agree about the physical media thing. I have only bought downloads twice and both times was hugely disappointed. And, if the album was $80, I probably wouldn't have bought it either, but it was $36 where I live. Hell, people spend that much on a meal that they're gonna crap out the next day. :P (que someone saying Tool is something related to crap)

Some things I can count on at this site:
    Someone is going to post something so insightful and intelligent, I'll keep coming back for more.
    Someone is going to post something so funny I'll actually laugh out loud.
    And someone will repeatedly post things so cynical and/ or negative with such consistency...I'll actually feel sorry for their inability to enjoy life.

And, if the album was $80, I probably wouldn't have bought it either, but it was $36 where I live.
    Does that shop ship?

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Man, I sure hope so.
    Me too. I still buy CD's, but am not going to purchase the special edition thing.

Your opinion is yours, purchase some Meters, Funkadelic, Cameo, RATM, Miles Davis, Coltrane... and have an happy day😊

Thank you Captain for your post. Let’s just end this. It’s quite obvious that the “arm-chair” haters are still listening to Tool and they either download or purchased the new disc. I personally, am taking in the cd over this next week, to give a FULL open minded review.... until then all biases are on the shelf. Time to move away from the usual punters....and enjoy what you enjoy.
    “ And if you don’t know.... now you know”
    Last edited by Tbone; 08-31-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Misspelled word