Thread: Queen + Adam Lambert Saturday Night Detroit Michigan

Queen + Adam Lambert Saturday Night Detroit Michigan

I saw the Queen + Adam Lambert tour Saturday night in Detroit Michigan at Little Ceasers Arena.

All I can say is wow! I have been to literally hundreds of concerts over the years and this one is going to rank right up there with the best I have ever seen. I saw Queen with Freddie in the late 70’s on the “Jazz” tour and this show was on a par, if not better, then that experience. My expectations for this show were completely exceeded as it was amazingly good. For the people who criticize Queen for carrying on without Freddie, I am find it difficult to believe, if you saw this show, that you would not become a convert it was that good.

First, Roger Taylor and Brian May. These guys are both right around 70 years old, but you would never know it by their performance Saturday night. Both are playing as well, if not better than they have their entire career. Both appear to be in great physical shape too. May was all over the stage all night, even doing a guitar solo on top of an asteroid at one point. Taylor was amazing to watch and pounded the drums with a ferocity of his younger days. Both were in great shape vocally too. Along with the usual background vocals, May sang both “Love Of My Life” and “39” sounding great on each. Taylor performed “I’m In Love With My Car” a snippet of “Doing All Right” and pulled off the David Bowie vocals on “Under Pressure”. In fact, the song became a very cool duet between Taylor and Lambert that proved to be one of highlights of the whole show.

Adam Lambert was simply incredible. I saw Marc Martel back last fall and after his tribute show we wondered why Queen did not pick him as the replacement singer. Now I know. Martel is great, but Lambert is the total package. His voice is utterly fantastic (not one bum note the entire show), and he just has incredible stage presence. I cannot emphasize how impressed I was by his performance. American Idol takes a lot of flak, but this is one former performer who is the real deal and can hold an arena of 20,000 people in the palm of his hands. His voice was flawless and was as good at the end of the show as it was at the beginning

The show itself was outstanding and the production was stunning. Opening with a giant crown rising to the ceiling, the band plowed through a killer set list that lasted a little over 2 hours. All the hits were there of course, but they also pulled out some cool album cuts from deeper in their catalogue. The lighting and sound was top notch as everything sounded clean and clear. The production featured many moving projections, lasers, risers, multi-faceted lights, confetti and even a mirror ball. The stage extended out with a ramp to the middle of the arena which they used to perform a semi acoustic set. Lambert, Taylor, and May were augmented by 3 additional musicians on percussion, bass and keys. All of them were excellent as well. The show was also a tribute to Freddie Mercury, with Lambert giving some moving comments about Freddie near the beginning of the show and the image of Freddie showing up several times on the video screens through the production.

In the end this was one of the most satisfying arena shows that I have ever seen. If you are at all a Queen fan and this is coming to your town I would check it out. Here is the set list:

OPENING INNUENDO OVERTURE
    NOW I’M HERE
    SEVEN SEAS OF RYE
    KEEP YOURSELF ALIVE
    HAMMER TO FALL
    KILLER QUEEN
    DON’T STOP ME NOW
    IN THE LAP OF THE GODS
    SOMEBODY TO LOVE
    SHOW MUST GO ON
    I’M IN LOVE WITH MY CAR
    BICYCLE RACE
    ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST
    MACHINES
    I WANT IT ALL
    LOVE OF MY LIFE (BRIAN MAY SOLO ACOUSTIC)
    DOING ALL RIGHT
    CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE
    UNDER PRESSURE (LAMBERT / TAYLOR DUET)
    I WANT TO BREAK FREE
    YOU TAKE MY BREATH AWAY
    WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER
    LAST HORIZON (MAY PLAYING ON A SUSPENDED ASTROID)
    MAY GUITAR SOLO
    TIE YOUR MOTHER DOWN
    FAT BOTTOMED GIRLS
    RADIO GA G
    BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY

ENCORE:
    FREDDIE ON FILM DOING HIS CROWD SING ALONG
    WE WILL ROCK YOU
    WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Here are a few videos I found on youtube:

Last edited by SteveSly; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:43 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Steve, that's high praise. Makes me want to see ths show if I ever had the opportunity. I think there is plenty of talent on American Idol.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Ah man! You got Keep Yourself Alive, Seven Seas Of Rye and In The Lap Of The Gods?! They didn't those songs when I saw them a couple years ago! I think the only song we got off any of the first three albums was Killer Queen! Still, I'm glad to see they're realizing it won't kill them to do the early stuff Stateside! Here's hoping they do another leg next year and they pull through Cleveland!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Steve, that's high praise. Makes me want to see ths show if I ever had the opportunity. I think there is plenty of talent on American Idol.
    Even sitting here two days later, this show is still running through my mind. Everything about it was pretty much perfect. I am still blown away by how good it was.

Thanks for the review and vids, would love to see Queen.

you couldn't pay me to see this line up.
    i think Queen sells themselves short with AL.
    i under stand Brian & Roger want to keep the band going.
    i am impressed with the set list. some good old gems.
    i don't think they have done Doing All Right in over 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    you couldn't pay me to see this line up.
    i think Queen sells themselves short with AL.
    i under stand Brian & Roger want to keep the band going.
    i am impressed with the set list. some good old gems.
    i don't think they have done Doing All Right in over 40 years.
    Originally the only reason I went was because my sister really wanted to go, but I am still completely blown away by how good it was. As I said before, I have seen hundreds of concerts over the years (including the original Queen) and this one probably ranks in my top 10 of all time, and I would rank Lambert's performance right up there with the best front men I have ever seen. He was really that good.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Originally the only reason I went was because my sister really wanted to go, but I am still completely blown away by how good it was. As I said before, I have seen hundreds of concerts over the years (including the original Queen) and this one probably ranks in my top 10 of all time, and I would rank Lambert's performance right up there with the best front men I have ever seen. He was really that good.
    I trust your judgement. If I get the chance, I'll go.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

The eons are closing
    Lambert does a very good job, it was the wasted years trotting out Rodgers that are a shame...
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Lambert does a very good job, it was the wasted years trotting out Rodgers that are a shame...
    Yeah, Paul Rogers is a great song, but..."not the right man for this band". Adam is much closer to the ideal. One of the things I liked with Adam was seeing them do more of Freddie's songs. With Paul, they did Crazy Little Thing Called Love, and Bohemian Rhapsody. SO it was nice to see some of the more music hall/cabaret style songs coming back to the setlist.