Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Close to the Edge One of the best versions I have ever heard by the Band Geeks

Close to the Edge One of the best versions I have ever heard by the Band Geeks

I tried searching the board for this but didn't see it covered. My brother just sent this, which I really enjoyed. Well played, great sound choices, well shot as a video, spirited and uplifting. Made me think of the quotes from previous Yes members that the music hopefully will stand on it's on as a composition and be played well into the future.

Every section is spot on

It kind of sounds like Mickey and Minnie singing.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Now that you mention it....

In a way, her voice sounds what Jon's might have sounded like if he'd been a woman - his voice is squeaky for a man's, and hers is squeaky for a woman's. Which is really squeaky.

Very well done. They are both true to the original and organic which is a very difficult combination, and the sound production is great. I love that the drummer takes a tea and book break during I Get Up I Get Down.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    In a way, her voice sounds what Jon's might have sounded like if he'd been a woman - his voice is squeaky for a man's, and hers is squeaky for a woman's. Which is really squeaky.
    But I have a glasses fetish so all's well.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

I think it's better than videos I've seen of current-Yes playing their old stuff - if only the tempo. But not only the temp. I think she's got a fabulous voice, and I love how she doesn't strain for the high note on that last "Seasons will pass you by."

If there's a weak spot, it's the drummer, who is more-than-adequate but no Bruford. About (old) Alan White level on this material, cometathinkavit.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

I think the guy grooves pretty hard if you ask me...

Agree - this group plays it better than any version of Yes has in a long time. Guitar so fluid and articulate. I think the drummer is fine - and on a budget electronic kit, no less. The only thing that you miss is the authentic voice, which of course is impossible to replicate. I'd be happy if Anderson had this group as his backing band for a tour. Much more so than the sleepy group he assembled most recently, putting flutes and violins on the old Yes tunes.

They are quite good, I think. Here are a couple of other Yes covers they do. Very energetic and tight.

Proving that it can be fun to play Yes well.

It's nice to see what's his face play bass instead of guitar. He always uses so much gain, he makes every cover sound metal. This song deserved a better fate. Pretty snappy version here!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think it's very impressive. Listened to the whole initial song.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Very impressed! Done with love! One of a few tribute covers that did create some goose bumps! Sadly her voice is a bit to nasal and squeaky!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

the best prog tune ever written, still amazing after 50 years

Watching Close to the Edge video on a cliff side on West cost of Scotland. Tremendous.

Where in Scotland? Was there a few weeks ago!

Just north of Loch Gairloch in Wester Ross (yes itís a real place). Amazing. Where were you.

Perfect cover version -the only problem I have with this is that the drummer is a dead ringer for Boris Johnson! Now if only Boris would stick to drums and drop the politics I'd be fine with him

Is that Chris Clark (from the current Brand on keys?

I can say that the music is as good as the original, the production a bit stronger, but I much prefer watching this young girl singing than our old Jon...

Quote Originally Posted by D.Eric View Post
    Is that Chris Clark (from the current Brand on keys?
    Yes. And I wonder how they get guys like him and Tom Brislin - first-call professionals - for what's essentially a very good basement band. I suppose this series does have a certain Internet currency, but is an appearance on it enough to boost someone's career? Or do Richie, Ann-Marie, & Co. just hire them? That can't be cheap, but if some of the band members had good jobs that might not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswave View Post
    Just north of Loch Gairloch in Wester Ross (yes it’s a real place). Amazing. Where were you.
    Excellent. We didn't make it quite that far north....but basically did the following in this order:

Pitlochry/Perthshire
    Cairngorms/Aberdeenshire
    Isle of Skye
    Glencoe
    Isle of Mull/Staffa/Treshnish Isles
    Edinburgh

Such an amazing place....Enjoy!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Yes. And I wonder how they get guys like him and Tom Brislin - first-call professionals - for what's essentially a very good basement band. I suppose this series does have a certain Internet currency, but is an appearance on it enough to boost someone's career? Or do Richie, Ann-Marie, & Co. just hire them? That can't be cheap, but if some of the band members had good jobs that might not be a problem.
    Richie seems to have been around a long time with also being a current member of Blue Oyster Cult. All these people are likely just friends and like to hang out and do stuff together.

Quote Originally Posted by insidious meme View Post
    Richie seems to have been around a long time with also being a current member of Blue Oyster Cult. All these people are likely just friends and like to hang out and do stuff together.
    So Richie's a professional musician himself, who plays metal for a living but prog for fun. This explains things. I'd figured he was a lawyer or plumber who just did music as a hobby, and happened to be very good at it.