Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Is "Burn" Deep Purple's Best Album???

'Gotta love these guys: a band in their 50th year still putting out relevant and good, if not great, new music.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

Anyone see them with Joe Satriani?
    If I remember correctly, they only toured with Satch in Asia, I believe.
    Very cool to hear the band to "Satch Boogie," too.
    That would be interesting. I remember when Steve Morse joined the band, they offered to include some Dregs or Morse solo material in the set, but Steve didn't go for it. I guess he felt the audience was paying to hear Deep Purple music, not Steve Morse music.

There is no doub that Blackmood is amongst the very top RnR arseholes.... right up there with Ax'l, anyways

It was on the 2004-ish remaster.
    Right I just checked my Burn copy (I'm not sure I ever played it) and it is the remaster, though they specify that the bonus tracks are remixed

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Ahh yes, Ritchie soaking the cameraman. Well, it was a juvenile thing to do, but the story goes that he insisted on no cameras on stage...
    maybe he was aiming Gillan and missed and it hit the camera

^It's sad watching such a great line-up going down the tubes like that. Blackmore MIA for the first three minutes of the show and then throwing a strop when he is on stage.

There was one bizarre altercation involving Blackmore throwing a plate of spaghetti (!) at Gillan on that tour.
    Wasn't that footage from the Perfect Stranger tour? Which would mean that it was just getting under way by then.
    Last edited by Trane; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:56 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^No, nearly ten years later! 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    they offered to include some Dregs or Morse solo material in the set, but Steve didn't go for it. I guess he felt the audience was paying to hear Deep Purple music, not Steve Morse music.
    I don't think DP would have delivered particularly good renditions of Dregs material. Neither do I think Hendrix would have worked with either ELP or especially not Soft Machine (at the time).

And Blackmore wouldn't have worked in Jethro Tull, any more than Portnoy would have been able to play Fantõmas or Naked City.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    maybe he was aiming Gillan and missed and it hit the camera
    Ha! Well, it has been mistakenly thought over the years that he was in fact aiming it at Gillan. Apparently he was livid that this guy broke his 'rule'... you can also see him later on pointing at the cameraman and telling him to get off.

I've been re-reading Gillan's autobiography this past week. I marveled again at the incident where Blackmore showed up to his house one Christmas... Ian answers the door and sees Ritchie standing a few feet away "in his silly Pilgrim hat".

"What do you want?"
    "I'm looking for a singer."
    "Oh, well come in then!"
    "Do you mind if my girlfriend comes in as well?"
    "Where is she?" - turns out, she was waiting at the end of the driveway, because Ritchie thought the chances were good that Ian might hit him! So they drink, and after a while Ritchie asks Ian if he wants to join Rainbow. "No." Ian then asks Ritchie if he wants to join the Gillan band. "No, and you're doing it all wrong - you should be touring big stadiums!" ... so much for either of those possibilities.
    www.velvetthunder.co.uk - From the ashes of the Classic Rock Society rises Velvet Thunder!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember when Steve Morse joined the band, they offered to include some Dregs or Morse solo material in the set, but Steve didn't go for it. I guess he felt the audience was paying to hear Deep Purple music, not Steve Morse music.
    I expected some Morse stuff to appear in the set at the time, like in the Mk IV days when some Tommy Bolin tunes were played. Maybe a Steve Morse band piece would have sounded interesting with organ, but it is understandable that Morse wanted to keep things separate.
    What I would have liked, especially when Lord was still in the band, would have been some instrumental medley of other eras, with some quotes of Mk I, Mk III or even Something like "Owed To G". Gillan wouldn't have had to sing over that, and it would have been a nice touch. But they had more than enough good material to play, obviously.

I'm still hoping some of these guys show more appreciation of their early, proto-prog days. Sure, I don't expect Ritchie to play anything from the Evans-era band, but man, I think April could easily make it into his Blackmore's Night sets.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Has anything other than 'Hush' been played live since the earliest days of Mark II (where 'Wring That Neck' and 'Mandrake Root' were in the set too)? Offhand I can't think.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm still hoping some of these guys show more appreciation of their early, proto-prog days. Sure, I don't expect Ritchie to play anything from the Evans-era band, but man, I think April could easily make it into his Blackmore's Night sets.
    He is not fond of the first three albums at all (and was also unhappy with working with the orchestra for the Concerto performance), so I'd think it highly unlikely that he would decide to revisit April. I love that track, myself...
    www.velvetthunder.co.uk - From the ashes of the Classic Rock Society rises Velvet Thunder!

Has anything other than 'Hush' been played live since the earliest days of Mark II (where 'Wring That Neck' and 'Mandrake Root' were in the set too)? Offhand I can't think.
    "Wring That neck" was played in the Concerto tour in 1999 (it appears at least on the RAH record with Paice, Lord, Glover and a horn section), and it was played later by the current line-up with Airey and Morse some years ago, in 2008 I think.
    Last edited by Interstellar; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:57 PM.

One need only look at the revolving door Rainbow was to conclude Richie was likely the primary source of conflict in DP.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I'll just use this current thread to post this, and although it's a good (but old) interview, the main reason I am posting it is for the hilariously bad subtitles.

"We really couldn't think of an ending" = "We really couldn't think of an STD"

Not even a top 10 DP album. Two great tracks in Burn & Mistreated but the rest is padding.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I don't think DP would have delivered particularly good renditions of Dregs material. Neither do I think Hendrix would have worked with either ELP or especially not Soft Machine (at the time).
    I've never heard talk of Jimi playing with Soft Machine, but I think the talk of him, Emerson and Lake doing something together is greatly overstated. I'm sure I've seen interviews with Keith where he said they jammed together, and apparently Jimi enjoyed The Nice's music, but that was about it.

But I agree, it wouldn't have worked, whether it would have been Mitch or Carl on drums. Two showmen, two singer/songwriters, two musicians used to playing in trios and therefore filling every nook and cranny with sound...I don't think any of that would have worked.

And I still believe Jimi was interested in going in a funkier direction, judging from the stuff he recorded in 1970. Maybe he'd have something that might be loosely described as "fusion". There's always been talk that he was supposed to work with Gil Evans on something, but I don't think where ELP ended up going would have been his bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'll just use this current thread to post this, and although it's a good (but old) interview, the main reason I am posting it is for the hilariously bad subtitles.

"We really couldn't think of an ending" = "We really couldn't think of an STD"

Thanks for that. I never knew Ian and Rick had worked together and that was a nice little jam there.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Thanks for that. I never knew Ian and Rick had worked together and that was a nice little jam there.
    Glad you enjoyed it! Rick also narrated the making-of documentary for the last album Infinite. That's a great watch BTW.