Thread: Steve Unruh ~ Precipice

Steve Unruh ~ Precipice

Multi instrumentalist Steve Unruh has a new Solo album out, nine years since the last one 'Challenging gravity'. It is called 'Precipice'.

I always fancied Steve Unruh's solo work a lot. I like it in fact a lot more then his recent band collaborations.
    My favorite is 'the great Divide' which still qualifies as a rather undiscovered prog folk gem (imho). If you are into acoustic prog folk stuff you should certainly give this album a chance.

I haven't heared the new one yet but I hope to receive it soon. I will comment on it later.

You can order the album here:
    http://www.steveunruh.com/order.html

Any other fans?

Yes, big fan here and I have all of his solo albums, ordered directly from his site, as well as the Resistor albums. I'll get the new one soon, hoping it's not another CD-R though...
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quelle coincidence Batman! I was about to start a thread on "the ubiquitous Mr. Unruh", since his work is featured on so many cool albums I 'm currently grokking! These would include Southern Empire's Civilization, UPF's Loss Vol. 1, the new Samurai of Prog album, my Samurai of Prog box set, and several Resistor LPs I've been digesting! I first encountered Mr. Unruh when I saw Resistor play at the Day of Prog at the Regent Theater (Arlington MA) a few years back, and picked up their then-current "To the Stars". I next ordered "Underground" from Ken at LE and am still digesting that one, while also enjoying "Rise" and the first album. Is there nothing this talented multi-instrumentalist can't do? (Okay, I'd descibe his vox as "serviceable"). I have not heard any of his solo works...recommendations?
    Last edited by rickawakeman; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    (Okay, I'd descibe his vox as "serviceable"). I have not heard any of his solo works...recommendations?
    He does sometimes stray too far out of his range, and the high notes can be a bit cringeworthy. Overall though, he does a good job.

Solo album recommendations: The Great Divide, Out Of The Ashes, Song To The Stars, Challenging Gravity - these are my favourites of everything he's done, solo or otherwise. He also contributes flute and violin to a band/project called King Of Agogik. Very busy guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Solo album recommendations: The Great Divide, Out Of The Ashes, Song To The sky, Challenging Gravity
    Indeed those 4. I would move challenging gravity one place up and maybe add 'two little awakenings' as nr 5.

The great Divide is his best.

^^^ Oh, I definitely should have included Two Little Awakenings, that one slipped my mind!

Is he still an electrical engineer for Hasbro in Rhode Island? Great day job!

Challenging Gravity is excellent. Must look into more of his work.

I love the sense of humor displayed on Resistor pieces such as “The Land of No Groove” on “Rise”.

Love The Great Divide. Is there any reason he's not offering the music via bandcamp or similar now?

I heared it a couple of times now. Impressions so far:
    I do not care that much about the first two tracks but the rest of the album is good to great. "Reckoning" seems to be the standout track. A very powerful proggy folk rock track with an anti-establishment lyric. Tull fans should take notice!

Production is again top notch. Hard to believe this is the product of a single man in the studio; it sounds so incredibly fresh and energetic like a full band is playing live in front of you.

Probably not his very best solo album but a worthy addition to his discography.

Now available on bandcamp too, along with the Great Divide and Challenging Gravity.
    https://steveunruh.bandcamp.com

Just came in the mail! I prefer Steve’s solo one-man-show releases to his band/hired gun stuff, though much of that music is great! What I like most about his solo stuff is the depth & spatial quality of the production. Each instrument stands out and there are no “wall of sound” overdub madness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Now available on bandcamp too, along with the Great Divide and Challenging Gravity.
    https://steveunruh.bandcamp.com
    Superb news. Hope he puts the older albums up too.

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    Superb news. Hope he puts the older albums up too.
    Song to the Sky and Out of the ashes are added too. I suppose the rest will follow shortly.

I've only heard The Great Divide and I really like it. Also impressed with The Samurai Of Prog. I think I need to dive a little deeper...
    Prog's Not Dead

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Song to the Sky and Out of the ashes are added too. I suppose the rest will follow shortly.
    Out of the ashes is superb, enjoyed that. Need to listen to Invisible Symphony too which is also up.