Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Rutger Hauer...

re: Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Oddly enough, I never saw that character as a bad guy.
    Doesn't he murder something like five or six people through the course of that movie? Not self defense or anything just kills them for no particular reason. As I recall, we see him kill Tyrell right there on camera.

One of the things I remember is Rutger being interviewed by Max Headroom. Max introduces him as "Root Beer Hauer":

As a Dane this was his most important role

Roy Batty was indeed programed to die in 2019.

RIP
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Blade Runner was one of the first movies that challenged me as young adult with its gray area between good and bad. Every character could potentially be sympathetic, in spite of their actions. People trying to make their way in difficult times. So different than the cookie-cutter good vs. evil of the Star Wars franchise of the time.

Rutger Hauer was wonderful in BR and other things as well. "I want more life, fucker!"
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

And if not mentioned , a legitamite connection to prog . Starred in the Kieth Emerson scored Nighthawks.
    RIP sir.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I bet most of you have never seen this but my favorite Rutger Hauer role was in the Dutch series for kids 'Floris', directed by Paul Verhoeven. For both this was the breakthrough in the Netherlands

It was originaly from 1969, a little bit before my time, but it had lots of reruns in later years. As a kid I absolutely loved it. It was immensly popular in the Netherlands, not only with children.

Thats how I remember Rutger Hauer; as knight Floris. A childhood hero.Attachment 13224
    Yeah. I never forget that series. Floris as the brute force and Sindala as the guy who used his brains, to think of something clever.
    Actually the only Rutger Hauer I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Blade Runner was great, of course, but I have a sentimental fondness for Ladyhawke as well. And Michelle Pfeiffer at age 27. Good lord!
    Me, too! Wasn't this his first big role after Bladerunner?

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Rutger Hauer was wonderful in BR and other things as well. "I want more life, fucker!"
    "It's not easy... to... meet your maker."

My introduction to Rutger was The Hitcher, which I saw before Blade Runner. My favorite would have to be Blind Fury, one of the few movies in which he was the hero, and not the villain.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

RIP

Blind Fury 1989

Yes, this could be debated but he did kill. Great character though. RIP Rutger.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Yes, this could be debated ....
    That was one of the great things about BR, the ambiguity and multidimensionality of all the characters. Never understood the appeal of cartoon characters and their cartoonish characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    That was one of the great things about BR, the ambiguity and multidimensionality of all the characters. Never understood the appeal of cartoon characters and their cartoonish characteristics.
    Could it be the idea of letting ones' mind expand. Then you could pick up insight from many different sources.

Anyone know cause of death?

One obit said "after a brief illness" which usually means cancer of some type
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yes, this could be debated but he did kill.
    Well, killing generally makes you a bad guy. Unless you're killing bad guys.

But yeah, the character is a bit deep in terms of exploring his motivations for wanting to live longer and such, or for questionign the definition of "life" or "real" (as in, a "real person" vs "just a replicant").

Something that's driven me crazy in recent years is I missed out my chance to get the DVD boxset that has all the different version of Blade Runner in it. I think there's something like three or four different versions, including the original theatrical version (with the noir style narration and happy ending), the early 90's "director's cut" (which Ridley Scott apparently wasn't happy with, either) and at least one or two other versions. I know some years back hearing about "The Final Definitive Cut" or whatever.

As it is, I've only ever seen the original theatrical version, which I VHSed off Cinemax, probably, back in the 80's, so I've never seen any of the versions that didn't "suffer" from studio meddling, nor have I ever seen it in a theater or presented in any other kind of "nice" transfer, with deluxe surround sound or whatever.

Ya know thinking about it, I remember actually reading about Blade Runner in Starlog, before it even came out, and thinking, "This looks like it's going to be a good movie", and then being upset that it was rated R (I was, I think, 9 years old at the time). I also had a comic book/graphic novel adaptation, which is probably worth like 500 bucks now, if I had only handled it while wearing rubber gloves and kept in one of those little baggies that comic book geeks put their comic books in and took care of it properly etc. Sheisse, my Guitar Player, Guitar World, Keyboard, etc magazines probably would have been worth a lot of money if I had taken care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, killing generally makes you a bad guy. Unless you're killing bad guys.

But yeah, the character is a bit deep in terms of exploring his motivations for wanting to live longer and such, or for questionign the definition of "life" or "real" (as in, a "real person" vs "just a replicant").

Something that's driven me crazy in recent years is I missed out my chance to get the DVD boxset that has all the different version of Blade Runner in it. I think there's something like three or four different versions, including the original theatrical version (with the noir style narration and happy ending), the early 90's "director's cut" (which Ridley Scott apparently wasn't happy with, either) and at least one or two other versions. I know some years back hearing about "The Final Definitive Cut" or whatever.

As it is, I've only ever seen the original theatrical version, which I VHSed off Cinemax, probably, back in the 80's, so I've never seen any of the versions that didn't "suffer" from studio meddling, nor have I ever seen it in a theater or presented in any other kind of "nice" transfer, with deluxe surround sound or whatever.

Ya know thinking about it, I remember actually reading about Blade Runner in Starlog, before it even came out, and thinking, "This looks like it's going to be a good movie", and then being upset that it was rated R (I was, I think, 9 years old at the time). I also had a comic book/graphic novel adaptation, which is probably worth like 500 bucks now, if I had only handled it while wearing rubber gloves and kept in one of those little baggies that comic book geeks put their comic books in and took care of it properly etc. Sheisse, my Guitar Player, Guitar World, Keyboard, etc magazines probably would have been worth a lot of money if I had taken care of it.
    GG, I suppose my problem is still, he killed. As a matter of fact, we saw, correct me if I'm wrong, five replicants. They all killed or were in the process of killing. Sort of voids Roy's ideas about life. I guess killing was one thing Tyrell could not engineer out of them. Rachael was the only one who didn't but she was a kind of hybrid. BTW, Tyrell, (Joe Turkel) was the bartender in, The shinning.

Killing certainly wasn't engineered out of Deckard either (depending on which theory you subscribe to)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

GG, I suppose my problem is still, he killed. As a matter of fact, we saw, correct me if I'm wrong, five replicants. They all killed or were in the process of killing. Sort of voids Roy's ideas about life. I guess killing was one thing Tyrell could not engineer out of them. Rachael was the only one who didn't but she was a kind of hybrid. BTW, Tyrell, (Joe Turkel) was the bartender in, The shinning.
    According to Wikipedia, three of the four Nexus 6 replicants we see were either soldiers (Roy and Leon) or an assassin (Zhora). Roy Batty is described as a "combat model". One assumes that one of the things Tyrell had figured out was to program their DNA so there'd be no moral conflicts with "following orders" that involve killing. What good is a soldier who refuses to shoot at the enemy because it violates his beliefs about life?

Of course, "just following orders" is something that has cropped up many times throughout human history, without the assistance of 21st century genetic science (real or imagined).

Oh and Rachel kills Leon, though that was to stop Leon from killing Deckard.

And if we're gonna talk about who played who in the movie, there's a lot of more or less well known actors in this picture. I find it amusing that Sebastian is played by William Sanderson. You may not recognize the name, but if I said "Hi, my name's Larry, this is my brother Darryl, this is my other brother Darryl", that might give you a clue about one of his other, slightly more high profile performances.

The eons are closing
    Re: killing in DNA. Different author, equally brilliant

"has it not occurred to you that your ancestors were survivors and that the survival itself sometimes involved savage decisions, a kind of wanton brutality which civilized humankind works very hard to suppress" - F. Herbert

Batty is fighting against extinction for his kind and all actions taken to stave that off are acceptable.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post

Batty is fighting against extinction for his kind and all actions taken to stave that off are acceptable.
    So what part of "survival" was involved in killing Tyrell and Sebastian?

So what part of "survival" was involved in killing Tyrell and Sebastian?
    It's been a while since I watched the movie. I don't recall the circumstances of Sebastian's death. I'm not sure it's shown. Tyrell's killing is easier to interpret, it's basically revenge. In terms of how that fits with replicants survival, I'd call it Betty's way of saying, "enough!" Basically a big public statement that what this guy has inflicted on the replicants is unacceptable and needs to stop. His final way of defying the fate of his kind.

Whether on his own or in tandem with the production team, Hauer made Batty more human than he is in the book, though ambiguities are still abundant. He portrayed a creature who not only ruthlessly wanted to live, but also had an emotional reaction to dying. I think he wanted viewers to question whether indeed he was the "bad guy," and in some sense that is the point of the movie and why Hauer's performance resonates so strongly. I've certainly never shed any tears for Tyrell.

Bill

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Sebastian witnesses Batty killing Tyrell, and the last you see of him is him making a terrified run for it. There's then a shot of Deckard listening to a communication which mentions the bodies of Sebastian and Tyrell being found. Killing Sebastian seems a lot more cold-blooded and a lot less justifiable than killing Tyrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Sebastian witnesses Batty killing Tyrell, and the last you see of him is him making a terrified run for it. There's then a shot of Deckard listening to a communication which mentions the bodies of Sebastian and Tyrell being found. Killing Sebastian seems a lot more cold-blooded and a lot less justifiable than killing Tyrell.
    That's right. Yeah, I'd basically agree with that. Maybe Batty felt he was buying himself some time by killing Sebastian, but that seems a bit weak. Maybe he felt Sebastian was as complicit as Tyrell? I'd need to watch it again to remind myself, if there's even enough information to really make a call on Batty's motivation for killing Sebastian.

The other possibility is that like the book, this somewhat arbitrary ruthlessness or lack of empathy points to the dividing line between humans and replicants. That's certainly in play in the book and comes out in small ways, like torturing the spider. It's more ambiguous in the movie, but even Batty confesses to Tyrell that he has done terrible things in his past.

In the end, like the whole "is Deckard a replicant" issue, there's likely not enough information in the film to say for sure, and even the actors and production team may have had conflicting views. So who knows about killing Sebastian? Tyrell, however, I think we can be more certain about.

Bill

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

One of my prize possessions.
    • Original 1982 theatrical release, with studio-dictated "happy ending" and against-his-will Harrison Ford voiceover
    • The 2007 Final Cut, with unicorns and additional clues and an ambiguous ending (and still the best cut)
    • The 1982 Director's cut, with Tyrell's death and other pieces of the Final but mostly the theatrical (& a shorter running time)
    • The 1982 International Cut, I can't remember what's different about it
    • Detailed information on the 1986 broadcast version, with less violence
    • Detailed information on the 1982 workprint test print shown in Dallas and Denver in March (which had some stuff that never was seen again)
    • Detailed information on the 1982 San Diego test print, which was more like the Final (before the studio blew a gasket)
    • a documentary "Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner" which has -- no shit -- enough unused cutting room floor footage to make a whole new Blade Runner movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_of_Blade_Runner
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-28-2019 at 11:25 AM.