Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 50 years since the Woodstock Music & Art Fair- what band has played "progressive"?

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    More psych than prog, but interesting psych.
    Sweetwater, with their classical/chamber music tinges, were also a bit on the proggy side of psych.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    People act like they can't simply post a simple link to Youtube, instead of embedding.
    So do most of you prefer links rather than embedding? I confess I'm spoiled by a relatively high-bandwidth (475mbps) so I'm probably guilty of posting too many videos as well. If the consensus is that that's too memory-intensive I'll start posting links instead.

Of course, you could always wrap your laptop in memory foam.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-25-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    So do most of you prefer links rather than embedding? I confess I'm spoiled by a relatively high-bandwidth (475mbps) so I'm probably guilty of posting too many videos as well. If the consensus is that that's too memory-intensive I'll start posting links instead.

Of course, you could always wrap your laptop in memory foam.
    The preview picture in the embedded link is one of the useful elements to help me decide to check the link, or not. I don't think this feature is very memory-intensive either. What bothers most of us is the excessive use and needless repetition of this feature. Use it sparingly and with discernment and no one here will complain about it (well, hopefully...).

Jethro Tull were invited to play but turned it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    "Is a bit strange that someone" who has been consistently banned for his past seven identities just doesn't seem to either quite get the picture or comply with it. Is a bit very strange.
    But are we sure it was him this time?? svettie's been, hiding behind UK username and locations... returning to Budapest seems like a return to Beograd

There's always been a certain number of people on here like that. Ones considerably worse, for that matter. Svetoonio is just annoying in a way analogous to Wallace - he posts too many YT links, states his opinions as facts, and will argue an unimportant point into the ground, whereas there've been some like Jegheist who were more-or-less seriously disturbed, made threats, stalked, or presented frightening and borderline evil political opinions.
    Not aware he posted his pro-Mladic/Karadzic stances on PE, but he certainly did so once or twice on PA.
    Eventually that weighed in heavy in cinsideration of his eviction, but it took a few months to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The point is that this very thread is posted not from an incentive of discussion, but as an excuse simply to mark one's enduring presence here.
    Not sure that's his agenda in opening a thread... If one wants to return +/- unnoticed (at first), better mingle in with soft posts before opening threads

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    The problem is not the content of his opinions, but the maelstrom of YouTube links that makes it impossible for users to scroll the thread so they can read what they want. My short-memory notebook crushes in this kind of threads. I am sure this has been explained to him in many ways, and I really don't get his persistence. One cannot be allowed to ruin the PE experience for others out of sheer stubbornness.

Apart from that, no problem for me.
    Don't have a real problem with that issue whether at work or at home, though some pages (not necessarily all his doing, BTW) can last a few seconds until being totally accessible.

As for the rest, svettie's no worse than Rufus or FL, ,as long as he doesn't push the plug in too far

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Yes, yours perhaps. Svetonio was banned for a variety of reasons. But he insists on making new accounts and posting here. When they are brought to our attention, they are removed.
    I guess sometimes, we took a long time to signal him , then, because he's usually (read alsways) detected quite qi-uickly by someone on the forum

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, then everyone's guilty, because that occurs in practically every thread. People act like they can't simply post a simple link to Youtube, instead of embedding. And it's not just on this forum either, others that I post on, like the Telecaster Discussion Page, has the same issue. Sometimes it takes several minutes for a given page to load, because of all the embedded Youtube links.
    In my case, I prefer an embedded YT link, so I can see what it is and therefore avoid clicking it if I'm not interested

However, indeed posting the link without embedding it makes for quicker page loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    I allways thought that the YT links in the posts were (mostly) useful and informative, they helped me to discover and appreciate many great bands that I never knew existed. Also, I didn't know that we can be banned from PE for this reason, thus from now on I'll be VERY careful before ading a YT link in my future posts.

I didn't followed the past history of this multi-recidivist/multi-banned/multi-ID OP, but I found his particular thread above non-invasive and appropriate.
    Yeah, I must say that "we" (PE as an entity) might have been a bit too quick, but every newcomer has become suspect...
    Otherwise, I wouldn't worry, I don't think you're in the eye of the storm
    I've opened a proggy-funky thread with plenty of YT embeds and Svettie participated, but I got no flak from anyone for the thread creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    If it's one or two links at a time, it's ok. But as Calyx pointed out we're talking about 10 YT links in a single post, which is a problem.

It's a pity because some of Svet's contributions are worthwhile.
    Not possible to load more than 3 YT embedding per post... to post 10 of them, you'd have to do 4 different posts

But yeah, Svettie is not all bad in his ways (can't believe i just wrote this)... Too bad he's so reticent as applying advice given to him.

Let's see......

......Maslin joined yesterday, immediately posted a YouTube link. I wonder........
    Yup, indeed, are we becoming paranoid or is he getting better at harassment??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ It was him alright. He has since left and been replaced by yet another rendition.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm a bit lost. I turned in to see the comments people made to the question (Hey, Santana was pretty progressive), but this devolved into a commentary on youtube clips. I do post them when they seem germane to the question of the thread. Have i been violating some sort of unspoken agreement? Is there a problem in doing so. Some of the threads sort of require clips to answer the question.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I'm a bit lost. I turned in to see the comments people made to the question (Hey, Santana was pretty progressive), but this devolved into a commentary on youtube clips. I do post them when they seem germane to the question of the thread. Have i been violating some sort of unspoken agreement? Is there a problem in doing so. Some of the threads sort of require clips to answer the question.
    This is a bit particular in that some people treated this thread at face value, discussing the OP's proposed topic, while others (including me) couldn't help but see it was another in a seemingly endless series of similar threads started by a guy who over the past days was banned multiple times from PE and kept reappearing in various guises and displaying the same behaviour. I'd say both categories have a point. Of course to those unaware of the bigger picture it may seem disrespectful but as I say, there is a bigger picture.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Seems to me like some of you have old computers. I have no problem loading videos. I have even less of a problem scrolling right past them. I do agree that some here get obsessed with it.

Back on topic, Mountain certainly did their share of progressive blues/rock. But they weren't to that point at the time of Woodstock.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I would argue that The Who were progressive in spirit.

I would argue that Svet, in whatever iteration, should be nuked from orbit whenever he appears. It's the only way to be sure.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Ravi Shankar has played his brilliant stuff at Woodstock also. Certainly not progressive rock, but the guy who taught George Harrison definitely belonged to the 60's zeitgeist that made psychedelic & progressive rock possible and hence he deserves a honorable mention in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Jethro Tull were invited to play but turned it down.
    Declined, or had a scheduling conflict? I seem to recall reading somewhere that JT had another gig the next day -- one that paid -- and Ian didn't think making both gigs would be worth the incredible effort of flying over from Britain for an hour's set.

Shankar was certainly a highlight (of Monterey Pop too) but he played traditional Indian music at this point, not anything progressive.

It wasn't until his days on Private Music iirc that he began incorporating outside influences.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-26-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not aware he posted his pro-Mladic/Karadzic stances on PE, but he certainly did so once or twice on PA.
    Eventually that weighed in heavy in consideration of his eviction, but it took a few months to get there.
    That wasn't what I was referring to. It was somebody else, who, I think, had actually been here for a while and distinguished himself as something of a "character", opinionated but not objectionable, until this specific view came out. And it was another political viewpoint - one which is usually condemned in all circles, both liberal and conservative, and has credence only among the most angry and hate-filled bigots and cranks of the Far Right, and maybe of the Far Left. That person was banned, and as far as I know, hasn't returned.

Then there was Glenn "Babymash" Fletcher.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Declined, or had a scheduling conflict? I seem to recall reading somewhere that JT had another gig the next day -- one that paid -- and Ian didn't think making both gigs would be worth the incredible effort of flying over from Britain for an hour's set.
    Tull was just finishing a hectic US tour when Woodstock happened. They had a gig supporting Led Zeppelin in San Antonio on August 15th, and a club gig in Houston the next day. They could theoretically have played on the 17th, but I expect that after two months of US gigs they were more than ready to go home.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

If we give credence [personally, I would] to the theory that funk was a progressive music of Afro-Americans, then Sly & the Family Stone's Woodstock performance was progressive as hell.

^ Jesus Christ.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I can't decide if it's hilarious or just pathetic
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Hello, Ravi... and goodbye !

Hey-la, hey-hello-ah.
    Hey-la, hey-hello-ah.
    Hey-la, hey-hello-ah. (Ump-cha; ump-cha.)
    Hey-la, hey-hello-ah. (Ump-cha; ump-cha.)
    Hey-la, hey-hello-ah. (Ump-cha; ump-cha).......

Aren’t the lyrics to the coda supposed to be in Hawaiian, or something ?

The Grateful Dead were a bit on the "progressive" side, in terms of developing complicated musical arrangements, and of course, teh improvisation. They were kinda moving away from the complex arrangements by the time of Woodstock, though. I think Phil Lesh once suggested that they felt those sort of arrangements and the whole overtly "psychedelic" sound of Anthem Of The Sun and Aoxomoxoa were a bit of a cul-de-sac, and they felt they had to go someplace else (which led to Workingman's Dead and beyond).

Mind you, they still had the occasional "complicated arrangement" after that, things like Unbroken Chain, Weather Report Suite, Slipknot, and Terrapin Station itself. I kinda get the impression there was faction within the band (or possibly just one person, cough cough Jerry) that didn't like having to play stuff that required a lot of rehearsal for it to sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I can't decide if it's hilarious or just pathetic
    Definitely the latter. Like I've said before, an endless game of whack-a-mole. I feel for the moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Hello, Ravi... and goodbye !
    my guess is that Ravi is actually Mysterious Traveller, recently banned because of racism and counter-racism issues

the posts concern Shanker and Sly and that fits his fixation

Hopefully his ban is temporary
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.