Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finders Keepers taking on the NWW List

^ Like I've written elsewhere - and I'm obviously only writing anything to begin with in order to "impress with my superior knowledge" n'stuff - I kinda like those 70s Italian pop/rock "prog" exploitation releases by big names like I Pooh, Dik Dik, I Nomadi, Formula 3 and Branduardi. They made for some interesting takes on straight visions.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Like I've written elsewhere - and I'm obviously only writing anything to begin with in order to "impress with my superior knowledge" n'stuff - I kinda like those 70s Italian pop/rock "prog" exploitation releases by big names like I Pooh, Dik Dik, I Nomadi, Formula 3 and Branduardi. They made for some interesting takes on straight visions.
    I Always marvel About the time where Beat bands where forced to become Prog 'cause that was the Popular Music in Italy at that time,
    times where Pop wasn't standing for Plastic Music.

Actually those ventures from Beat to Prog had some great results. My favs would be "I Giganti" and "I Dik Dik Prog" Albums.

I don't remember if I listened to all of the Hero album, or just a track or two, but iirc I liked what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't remember if I listened to all of the Hero album, or just a track or two, but iirc I liked what I heard.
    It's not really bad, just to much inspired by their residence in Germany...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    "I Dik Dik Prog" Albums.
    If you're thinking of the 'cleaning lady'-record (which indeed made fun of both the musical and the political matter of what was perceived as "progressive" in Italy at the time), I think it's quite hilarious! They were also stylistically tongue-in-cheek yet alright at what they attempted.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

If you're thinking of the 'cleaning lady'-record (which indeed made fun of both the musical and the political matter of what was perceived as "progressive" in Italy at the time), I think it's quite hilarious! They were also stylistically tongue-in-cheek yet alright at what they attempted.
    Yes that one, awesome cover by the way. Hilarious or not, I love it. But "Terra in Bocca" by I Giganti would be my No. 1 Beat band Prog Album.

Samadhi was a Beat band early on, weren't they? If so, they would probably be the top "Beat band Prog" that I've heard so far.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Samadhi was a Beat band early on, weren't they? If so, they would probably be the top "Beat band Prog" that I've heard so far.
    Don't think so, IIRC they where formed by former members of Prog bands like R.R.R.,I Teoremi, L'uovo Di Colombo and others.

Listening to Igor Wakhevitch right now, and it makes me wonder how Stapleton was able to a) hear about all of it and b) acquire the material. Some of this must have been very hard to come by back then (late 70s/early 80s), a point which probably asserts the theory that Stapleton was a highly keen collector and, obviously, interestée. Quite intriguing to see Lard Free, Krokodil (An Invisible World Revealed), Catherine Ribeiro, Plastic People of the Universe and Il Balletto di Bronzo next to each other, but they truly fit that way within the given context of "radical" popular (?) music.

Someone should write a book on this list.
    Fothergill was the hard core collector of the bunch. Stapleton enrichened the acquisitions on his trips to France and Germany but he had rather limited funds at the time (as he had admitted). In the early 90s a huge part of that catalogue ended up on Ultima Thule's mailorder list, as Fothergill has sold almost all his collection to the Freemans. Was lucky to catch a dozen albums off that lot (like Heratius, Moolah, Anal Magic, Maschine Nr. 9, Alvaro, Horrific Child and Wakhevitch's "Hathor" among others).
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    One of the most bizarre items on the list is Ys - Il Balletto Di Bronzo. I mean you expect the more experimental stuff from Italy like Area or Pierrot Lunaire but Ys? Who would have ever listened to Ys back then, even more appreciate it?
    Not that I’m against it, but the embracing of Ys by subcultures that you would not expect (Goths love it, for example) is confusing to me. I mean, most of these audiences turn up their nose at prog, and Ys is one of the most gratuitously prog albums I have ever heard. Every track in a different odd time signature, in a different weird key, guitar so heavily effected it’s barely recognizable as a guitar, piano, organ, Moog and harpsichord soloing ALL AT THE SAME TIME! Everything about this album screams “Anyone who’s not into prog is going to LOATHE this!”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Not that I’m against it, but the embracing of Ys by subcultures that you would not expect (Goths love it, for example) is confusing to me. I mean, most of these audiences turn up their nose at prog, and Ys is one of the most gratuitously prog albums I have ever heard. Every track in a different odd time signature, in a different weird key, guitar so heavily effected it’s barely recognizable as a guitar, piano, organ, Moog and harpsichord soloing ALL AT THE SAME TIME! Everything about this album screams “Anyone who’s not into prog is going to LOATHE this!”
    Yes, that was what I was saying. It's the "proggiest" of the lot, in the traditional sense of the word. No one can mistake it for anything else than "prog" - it's got all the hated prog elements, and in tenfold. But prog haters are keen on Ys - maybe precisely because it happens to be in the list, and the list is quite revered by music lovers. And rightly so. But if you say to them to listen to Gates of Delirium (how far as an aesthetic proposal is it from Ys really?) they feel you insult them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Yes, that was what I was saying. It's the "proggiest" of the lot, in the traditional sense of the word. No one can mistake it for anything else than "prog" - it's got all the hated prog elements, and in tenfold. But prog haters are keen on Ys - maybe precisely because it happens to be in the list, and the list is quite revered by music lovers. And rightly so. But if you say to them to listen to Gates of Delirium (how far as an aesthetic proposal is it from Ys really?) they feel you insult them.
    Their obscurity is their Siloam Pool. The same happened with Jacula's Tardo Pede In Magiam Versus (an album not on the NWW list) and extreme metal audiences.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    The same happened with Jacula's Tardo Pede In Magiam Versus (an album not on the NWW list) and extreme metal audiences.
    Which I always found to be -more- ridiculous than the embracing of Ys by goths (etc.), seeing as A. Bartoccetti (mainman of Jacula/Antonius Rex) was very outspoken as to the mere artistic aspirations of the project. He would also admit to being primarily influenced by cheap horror B-Movies and even various sorts of easy listening music. Basically he was an early purveyor of pure post-modernism in rock/pop.

Seems like Il Balletto di Bronzo are working on a new Album!!!