Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thick As A Brick 40th. anniversary special edition

Thick As A Brick 40th. anniversary special edition

This arrived today from amazon - what a beautiful set! A nice thick book with lots of stuff to check out while I listen. I didn't check out the online stream, I want the full effect of this new mix (fingers crossed that it's good!). Going to finish up a few little errands and then settle down to spend the evening with this DVD . It's a little bigger than I thought it would be, but will fit perfectly on the shelf alongside the other boxed sets of this style.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Bought this today - 20 euros seemed a very reasonable price for the package. The only downside is the almost total lack of additions to the album itself - the "almost" being a 1972 radio ad. But the booklet is cool, with nice photos and essays.

Considering how this album was written and recorded, I'd be a little surprised if there was any extra material. It seems like they squeezed the music they had as hard as they could to get a full album.
    The Mighty Megalosaurus
    Tree Pusher, WESAYSO Corp.

A '72 live show would be a great bonus!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Open post....insert foot. mpoll's Avatar
    Listened to TAAB 40 twice now over the past two days.

The jury's still out. :
    - It's very clear.
    - But it's different (duh, it's a re-mix!).
    - Maybe when you've heard something, well, probably a thousand times over 40 years, it takes a bit of time to adjust.

Not giving up yet. Only 998 plays to go.......I'll get back to you.

The packaging is excellent, however.
    "Be Well... Prog On!"

"The Progressive Tracks Show" on KPTZ 91.9 FM / KPTZ.org - Sundays at 5:00 AM and Mondays at 9:00 PM (Pacific Times)
    also on Progzilla Radio / Progzilla.com in the UK - Saturdays at 6:30 PM and Mondays at 2:30 PM (Pacific Times)

Quote Originally Posted by mpoll View Post
    - Maybe when you've heard something, well, probably a thousand times over 40 years, it takes a bit of time to adjust.
    To me, that's what makes these remixes easier to get into and enjoy. The Genesis boxes are a good example - a lot people hate the new mixes, but I know those albums like the back of my hand so it's fun to hear a different take on them. When I am less familiar with an album, maybe I would find it more irritating or at least confusing. But all these Wilson classic-prog-album remixes are great for me. I remain ever hopeful that he is allowed to get his hands on A Passion Play too!

I really enjoyed TAAB tonight, although I just went with the 96/24 stereo mix on the DVD because my 5.1 seems to be acting up (I noticed it straight away when the flute in the early seconds of the song was almost non-existent). Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by mpoll View Post
    Listened to TAAB 40 twice now over the past two days.

The jury's still out. :
    - It's very clear.
    - But it's different (duh, it's a re-mix!).

Not giving up yet. Only 998 plays to go.......I'll get back to you.

The packaging is excellent, however.
    Have to agree... what struck me right off was Barrie Barlow's drums however. Sizzling! Can you imagine this album with Clive Bunker in the drum seat?

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Have to agree... what struck me right off was Barrie Barlow's drums however. Sizzling! Can you imagine this album with Clive Bunker in the drum seat?
    Completely agree! What an incredible job with the drums, cymbals, and other tuned percussion (the glockenspiel is like listening to crystal!) Although I don't think Clive would have quite fit this kind of music. Barrie just was a complete monster on this album much like Bruford was to Close To The Edge.

I absolutely love the new stereo mix (on CD and Advanced Rez); makes it sound even better than I ever thought it would for 2.0 The 5.1 however, is gorgeous! Nice sound stage with lots of great things happening all over the place, especially solid front sound. There's a great part with a cymbal crash, snare, and hi hat that pans around the room and seems to swirl into the center of the room during a section of Side One (I *loved* how Steven Wilson called it "Side" One and Two ) that really took me by surprise and made me go, "Wow!" out loud. Only SW's mixes actually make me do that. Say what you want about the remix (which I think is amazing), but SW just really knows 5.1 better than any engineer around these days. He knows when to use the occasional gimmick if it adds to the music, and really keep things straight up and honor the music for the rest of the time.

As to the remix...well, it's *different*. Just like his LTiA is *different*. It accentuates pieces of the music that were always there but not only were never heard properly, but are such that they are just damned interesting to listen to when he brings them out in the remix. This is a very warm sounding album, but there are a couple of parts that I found interesting choices in terms of *volume*. Where you usually hear familiar crescendos in an increase in volume, he tends to accentuate different crescendos in the same part of the score (within a couple of bars of the familiar). It does catch you off guard when you are expecting the score to be loud in one part and 4 or 8 bars later there is the loudness in the mix in a spot where it never was before but for some strange reason it just tends to fit there. SW *listens*. That's a big positive I can say about the guy; he dearly cherishes what he engineers and knows the work...but he listens to what's underneath things and brightens the whole picture.

This is really well done and thoroughly enjoyable...and I don't have to worry about folding out a newspaper anymore. It's nicely fit in a beautiful booklet inside the package with some excellent new articles about the album along with some very cool photos. One of the best re-releases of the year.
    "So...you seek understanding. Then listen to the music and not the song..." - Kosh

Banned
    The Best Buy website shows that this will be released on Tuesday. Is that the U.S version?

I want this one bad.

Listened to it several times already since getting it on Wednesday. Most enjoyable!

funny that none of ‘golden ears’ around here have noticed the ‘glitches’…that others are reporting.

I dont mind the glitches (havent read anything but spotted 2 so far), but what does bother me is that I do not enjoy the 5.1 as much as I expected to.
    Of course, this is completely subjective, and perhaps my expectations were too high, but I find something lacking in the 5.1 mix and I cant put my finger on it-
    The mix is done "by the book", everything is placed as it should, the different channels are very clear and detailed,
    really I have nothing bad to say about it (apart for the above mention glitches, which like I said, do not affect my overall listening experience),
    But still- something is just missing.
    Mabe I just listened to this piece too many times to still enjoy it, its a possibility

I just listened to the 5.1 DTS mix and really enjoyed it ...thought it was very tastefully done.

Like, what kind of glitches? I haven't bought this yet and I'd like to know...

I'd also like to know what glitches people are referring to. I did notice a skip at one point early on, but chalked that up to my player itself. Is it the disc then? Or the actual ones and zeroes?

I got the vinyl box today. Expensive, but a nice package. The book is done well. I got it mainly because I wanted TAAB 2 on vinyl. I'll have a go with it tonight and see what my impressions are.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

^ Could you perhaps take some photos of the vinyl set? Would love to see it.

Banned
    I read on Amazon :There is a production defect with the 5.1 DVD. At times 2:32, 2:48 & 3:03 of "Side 1" there is audio defect that is heard.

I also read that Anderson's thick as a brink ending was cut off

What format is the 5.1 in? Data rate?
    Last edited by Firth; 11-09-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post

I also read that Anderson's thick as a bring ending was cut off
    Yep, the little "Yeah..." at the end of Part 2. The only CD that has it (that I know of) is the MFSL.

Playing the 96/24 stereo remix on the DVD at the moment. Don't like it. I'll be buggered if I can tell the difference between this and the original mix!? That said, it is not the mix that bothers me most. I think this release has been screwed up in the mastering. It is too loud and trebly for these ears. Nice packaging though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Class & Quality? View Post
    I think this release has been screwed up in the mastering. It is too loud and trebly for these ears.
    Dont know about loud, the 5.1 at least, but yeah- mabe its a bit too trebly, and missing some juevos.
    I am however warming up to the 5.1 mix, perhaps its something that needs to get used to.

I hate to say this: I find TAAB to be the most overrated of Tull's records. It basically beats one or two themes to death! I like it, sure, but I'm not going to buy another copy just to hear a remix. Passion Play is the one long form Tull work for me! I find it far superior!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I hate to say this: I find TAAB to be the most overrated of Tull's records. It basically beats one or two themes to death! I like it, sure, but I'm not going to buy another copy just to hear a remix. Passion Play is the one long form Tull work for me! I find it far superior!
    Surely, Aqualung is the most overrated! But I do prefer APP...

http://www.amazon.com/Thick-Brick-Sp...iversary+vinyl

Well there are pictures of it on Amazon that will do. I will try to get some photos uploaded.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.