Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things Season 3

I saw a really cool article that brought up this strange point. Stranger Things love 80's media references. Season 3 was staged in '85. In 1986 Winona Ryder made her first film "Lucas". Do the kids in Season 4 stumble across that movie and freak out? It would be an interesting little sidebar.

lol, they totally should insert multiple references to Lucas in the next season.

yep, March 28, 1986. Maybe it'll be on the Marquee at the Hawkins movie theater?

It never occurred to me to take this show seriously. I enjoyed Season 3 better than the first two and thought it was great fun.
    <sig out of order>

I liked all three seasons about equally, but I think the long wait may have made 3 seem better than it actually was...

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    I saw a really cool article that brought up this strange point. Stranger Things love 80's media references. Season 3 was staged in '85. In 1986 Winona Ryder made her first film "Lucas". Do the kids in Season 4 stumble across that movie and freak out? It would be an interesting little sidebar.
    Now, if they had brought in Otho to try to exorcise Will that would've been sweet.

I thought this last season was a blast. Can't wait to watch it again. Humor, thrills, lovable characters, great production and that 80's nostalgia that melts my heart ...can't get enough of this show
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I have to admit the nostalgia factor is real. I think there's a part of me that gets transported back to my teenage years and the movies I watched back then.
    <sig out of order>

Apart from the nostalgia factor the visuals are great. I especially like the scenes when El has her "visions" and travels on this dark shiny water plateau and the persons/things appear very defined. I have the soundtrack on heavy rotation with BoC.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

those dark visions resemble what they did with Scarlett Johansson in the movie Under the Skin.

Stranger Things is a case of the parts being greater than the whole. There are some entertaining scenes shot in the 80s, but I use the fast forward button.

I wonder how many would watch if the show was set in 2003 to 2007?

2003 to 2007 would never work. I'd only watch if it was in 2008 - 2012.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I think they should have wrapped the series up. Child actors are usually good at portraying kids but their skills are limited as adults. I wished a lot more of my favorite TV shows could learn to quit while they're on top.

The wife and I binge watched the final 4 episodes tonight. I have to admit that there were times when I was like "is this thing ever going to end". Maybe it is just me, but as this series goes on it seems to be more and more aimed at kids. I guess that is not necessarily a bad thing, but I liked this season the least of the 3 and found parts of it cringeworthy. I am sure I will continue to watch the next season, but I find this show to be a lot more average than many seem too.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I’m just on episode 2 of season 2, but in the mid 80s were people still using flash cubes?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The wife and I binge watched the final 4 episodes tonight. I have to admit that there were times when I was like "is this thing ever going to end". Maybe it is just me, but as this series goes on it seems to be more and more aimed at kids. I guess that is not necessarily a bad thing, but I liked this season the least of the 3 and found parts of it cringeworthy. I am sure I will continue to watch the next season, but I find this show to be a lot more average than many seem too.
    I'm 48 and thought season 3 was fantastic though I am quite childish . I found it to be as thrilling as season 1 (which I loved) and miles better than season 2 (which I thought was ok), but with some added humor that worked for me. I'll definitely admit that a major draw is the time period. I find it entertaining as hell.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

From people I've talked to and what I've read online, most people seem to feel season 2 was the weakest.

It did have 1 more episode for a total of 9, and it was that (to me) wasted one where Eleven went to the big city to be with the group of thieves. I'm sure there's an interview out there that will show I've got it wrong, but it kind of felt to me like the creative team decided to change direction from that episode and cut that part of the story short. It just didn't fit the narrative very well, so they cut it short and sent El back to Hawkins to rein things in again. That was the weakest part for me. But having just watched all 3 seasons for a second time, season 2 was really strong aside from that tangent. At least for me.

And anyone who says they didn't start singing along with Dustin and Suzie is a damn liar.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    F

And anyone who says they didn't start singing along with Dustin and Suzie is a damn liar.
    Maybe I am a curmudgeon, but when I mentioned “cringeworthy” scenes in my earlier post, that is the main one I was referring too. I found that hard to stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Maybe I am a curmudgeon, but when I mentioned “cringeworthy” scenes in my earlier post, that is the main one I was referring too. I found that hard to stomach.
    Well....that was kinda the point of that scene, no?
    <sig out of order>

"And anyone who says they didn't start singing along with Dustin and Suzie is a damn liar. "

Had no clue what movie that was from or ever heard the song. In 1985 I was 19 years old, high and drunk most of the time, listening to metal on a constant loop. The stuff I see on this show has little to no nostalgic appeal to me. My early teen years resembled That 70s Show a lot more than Stranger Things.
    Last edited by Yves; 08-06-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    "And anyone who says they didn't start singing along with Dustin and Suzie is a damn liar. "

Had no clue what movie that was from or ever heard the song. In 1985 I was 19 years old, high and drunk most of the time, listening to metal on a constant loop. The stuff I see on this show has little to no nostalgic appeal to me. My early teen years resembled That 70s Show a lot more that Stranger Things.
    I actually didn't recognize that song either. Avoiding the radio as much as possible for many years really paid off.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Ridiculous? My feeling about a show is ridiculous? Less valid then yours obviously. Pffft.
    Ridiculous to say that a whole show is not good when you've not seen it, yes. Why even come into this thread about Season 3, if not to just take potshots at it?

I get it, you're not a fan. That's fine. But to say that things in movies/stories are only scary if they can happen in real life? Whatever happened to having an imagination?
    Last edited by aith01; 08-06-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I find they started with a good story in season 1, but like so many American TV shows, they always felt like they had to one-up the previous season until it became just an extravaganza of special effects with a thin plot and 2-dimensional characters. I gave it 3 full seasons to make up my mind, but in the end, I am just not a fan of shows not aimed at adults. That's my cross to bear and no reflection on anyone else...
    Each season is designed to be like one long movie, and Stranger Things follows the style of horror/action movies (and 80s movies in particular) where the sequel raises the stakes and tries to top the previous film. The story gets bigger, moves forward, the scope expands, new characters join, etc. Nothing to do with "American TV shows". Your disdain is clear as day though.

I don't think the characters are 2-dimensional at all, seeing as they've been around for 3 seasons and have evolved over that time. The plot is a basic story about friendship, monsters, and good versus evil. However, this is not an "adult show". It's clearly aimed at both younger people/teenagers and adults (the family demographic, I guess) -- no children's show would have a giant meat spider made up out of melted people, let alone show that happening in graphic detail.

But... The Handmaid's Tale, Breaking Bad, or The Sopranos this is not, so if that is the kind of show you're looking for I can understand why Stranger Things would not suit you.

Let us kids have our fun with our juvenile show then.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I'm 48 and thought season 3 was fantastic though I am quite childish . I found it to be as thrilling as season 1 (which I loved) and miles better than season 2 (which I thought was ok), but with some added humor that worked for me. I'll definitely admit that a major draw is the time period.
    Man, that doesn't make you childish.

My mom is over 60, and she loves Stranger Things. We watched every season together when they each came out, and we live 30+ minutes apart so we'd each take turns driving to the other's house just to watch a couple episodes a night. It has nothing to do with a person's age or mentality. My mom is definitely not childish, but she isn't averse to having fun with TV shows and movies either. Her favorite horror movie is John Carpenter's The Thing, which is my favorite as well. She let me watch it when it came on TV back when I was 11 or 12, and I had never seen anything so scary and fascinating before.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I find it entertaining as hell.
    Same here. I think the key word here is entertaining. This show is intended to be entertainment.

I would have liked more stuff about the Upside Down in this season, but that's only a minor gripe. I still think I enjoyed this one the most overall. This was the first time I found the season's monster to be truly scary and horrific -- I was never that scared by the demogorgon, for some reason. But a monster made out of melted people, with teeth made out of their broken bones? Yechh! Horrifying and gross.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Still need to avoid spoilers for season 2, but did you guys notic the mention in one of the episodes of there being a River Eno in Hawkins? I figure that's a nod to Brian Eno.