Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things Season 3

Stranger Things Season 3

I really liked Season 1 of Stranger Things and then Season 2 was sitting on my PC until last month when I found finally time to watch it and it's even better , obviously they got more money and the visual component which was already quite high for the first season became great.

So I decided to get a subscription for Netflix to watch the third season and it's equally great if not better in terms of tention. The mix of 80's popular culture références is fun, but the main force is the excelent character writing and good acting plus a very good soundtrack by Electronica duo Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein.
    BTW There is a miniseries interview feature with the Duffer Bros and a part of the actors on Netflix 'Beyond Stranger Things' which is fun to looka at for fans ...

Last edited by alucard; 07-19-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Glad you enjoyed it! I think Season 3 was my favorite so far. The increased budget allowed for them to expand the scope even further, and it could really be felt. This season definitely felt big, IMO. The characters have become very compelling, and I found myself really caring about what happens to them all. It's hard to pick a favorite character now.

As a huge fan of John Carpenter's "The Thing", the inspiration that ST3 took from it was really cool to me. The monster this season was a lot scarier (and grosser) to me than the demogorgon/demodogs from the previous seasons. I think the Mind Flayer's visual design is really cool too.

I started watching ST3 a second time after finishing it, which is something I've never done with a TV show before.

loved Season 3, although we didn't really get explanation as to why the Russian faction wanted to open up the Upsidedown.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    loved Season 3, although we didn't really get explanation as to why the Russian faction wanted to open up the Upsidedown.
    80s Still Number one bad guys : The Russians :-)
    Btw ( spoiler) I suppose the American prisoner in Kamschatka is Hopper ?
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    80s Still Number one bad guys : The Russians :-)
    Their reason was probably for research and development purposes, with the arms race and the Cold War going on. Since the Americans had opened a gate to the Upside Down, the Soviets wanted to do the same and (presumably) figure out how to use it to their advantage (like capturing the creatures for their own purposes).

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Btw ( spoiler) I suppose the American prisoner in Kamschatka is Hopper ?
    That's what I believe, but I really just want Hopper to still be alive.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    (SPOILER) I don't know, but I surmised that the American prisoner mentioned in Kamchatka was Hopper, and that they might have had another opening there (like in Stargate, or something) that he was thrown through during the explosion.(/SPOILER)

Such a fun show. As soon as we finished S3, we decided to start from S1 again.

My sister sent me a meme with Robin holding a white board that reads: Stranger Things is X-Files for people who like The Goonies.

This was definitely the highest stakes season. I won't add any spoilers, but it's going to be interesting to see how they approach the next chapter. I have faith the creative team can do it. I believe they're starting shooting this fall.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I suppose the Upside Down is a fast-track invasion portal into the heart of the US or even other parts of the world, or at least that's what the Soviets hoped it would be, had they succeeded... and it woulda worked too if not for those meddling kids.

S3 was OK - it's too bad that with good dialog writers and editors, they aren't so good at coming up with good stories. It's the same thing episode after episode. No development of the Upside Down world, nothing other than El to save the day in situation after situation. Plenty of nostalgia, though the show was better when it was evoking the essence of its sources rather than just bludgeoning people over their heads with references.

One might hope that they'll have the good sense to end this now before it gets outright bad, but why do that when there's money to be made?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    S3 was OK - it's too bad that with good dialog writers and editors, they aren't so good at coming up with good stories. It's the same thing episode after episode. No development of the Upside Down world, nothing other than El to save the day in situation after situation. Plenty of nostalgia, though the show was better when it was evoking the essence of its sources rather than just bludgeoning people over their heads with references.

One might hope that they'll have the good sense to end this now before it gets outright bad, but why do that when there's money to be made?
    Except El didn't save the day -- she nearly died on more than one occasion. It was everyone else working in tandem who saved the day this time. So your argument here doesn't really hold water, IMO.

I don't mind if the Upside Down remains largely a mystery. Any explanation would probably be disappointing or anti-climactic.

They have an overarching story in mind, and a definitive ending at four or five seasons, so I think it would be unwise to end it before they've told the complete story and actually provided a conclusion. But hey, maybe some people don't want satisfying conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I suppose the Upside Down is a fast-track invasion portal into the heart of the US or even other parts of the world, or at least that's what the Soviets hoped it would be, had they succeeded... and it woulda worked too if not for those meddling kids.
    That's possible.

Also, the cages that they had in the underground base were clearly designed for capturing demogorgons. I think the subtext was that the Soviets intended on catching the creatures from the Upside Down and using them.

It's a fun show but overhyped. You REALLY have to suspend your disbelief to fully enjoy it, and I have a hard time doing that. I can't help but pick at all the flaws in the story and how our protagonists are always offered an opportunity to escape due to totally sloppy actions by the Russians or the Flayer.

{SPOILER} yes, I believe Hopper is the American prisoner in Russia. This will be the premise for the next season though I have no clue how they will find out about him, get over to Russia, find him, save him... But I'm sure there will be a way, and nobody will be seriously hurt along the way...{/SPOILER}
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    You REALLY have to suspend your disbelief to fully enjoy it, and I have a hard time doing that. I
    I have the same. For me Horror is only scary when it has something realistic. This is all so far fetched and ridiculous that I just cannot take it serious.
    It is as scary as a Tom and Jerry cartoon. I stopped halfway season 1. Just not for me I guess.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I don't think they're bludgeoning anyone over the head with references and I did think the Moving In Stereo twist was rather clever, but I agree with you that the storyline is getting very stretched. The show has become formulaic.

I'll keep watching though because admittedly I'm hooked. Millie Bobby Brown has a strong Kristi McNichol vibe going (boyhood crush). This show borrows heavily from Spielberg and Steven King. The concept of the Upside Down is similar to King's (and Peter Straub's) 'the Territories' from The Talisman (why oh why has this never been turned into a miniseries).
    Last edited by 3LockBox; 07-23-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Barb is the American.

Season 4: What About Barb?

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    It's a fun show but overhyped. You REALLY have to suspend your disbelief to fully enjoy it, and I have a hard time doing that. I can't help but pick at all the flaws in the story and how our protagonists are always offered an opportunity to escape due to totally sloppy actions by the Russians or the Flayer.
    Come on, man. Of course it requires suspension of disbelief. It's sci-fi/fantasy/horrow TV show about kids fighting against monsters from an alternate dimension for crying out loud. It was never billed as anything else.

Just because you don't like it as much as the fans do, that doesn't mean that it's overhyped. Obviously it appeals to people on an emotional level, and I don't understand why you seem to feel the need to denigrate it. Does it make you feel superior to people like me who love Stranger Things? Because that's how it comes across to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I have the same. For me Horror is only scary when it has something realistic. This is all so far fetched and ridiculous that I just cannot take it serious.
    So movies like "The Thing" and "Alien" aren't scary to you?

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    It is as scary as a Tom and Jerry cartoon. I stopped halfway season 1.
    Okay, this seems a bit ridiculous IMO. And you haven't even seen past the halfway point of season 1? Why are you commenting on the season 3 thread then? Unless it's just to trash talk it without seeing it.

I am in the "love Stranger Things" camp, and suspending disbelief is certainly not without precedent (see Star Wars, Star Trek and the entire Marvel lexicon for starters).

We all have our opinions, and without being political, let's always opt for friendly discourse rather than what goes on on both sides of the aisle in the US Congress.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Come on, man. Of course it requires suspension of disbelief. It's sci-fi/fantasy/horrow TV show about kids fighting against monsters from an alternate dimension for crying out loud. It was never billed as anything else. [emoji38]

Just because you don't like it as much as the fans do, that doesn't mean that it's overhyped. Obviously it appeals to people on an emotional level, and I don't understand why you seem to feel the need to denigrate it. Does it make you feel superior to people like me who love Stranger Things? Because that's how it comes across to be honest.

So movies like "The Thing" and "Alien" aren't scary to you?

Okay, this seems a bit ridiculous IMO. And you haven't even seen past the halfway point of season 1? Why are you commenting on the season 3 thread then? Unless it's just to trash talk it without seeing it.
    Ridiculous? My feeling about a show is ridiculous? Less valid then yours obviously. Pffft.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Come on, man. Of course it requires suspension of disbelief. It's sci-fi/fantasy/horrow TV show about kids fighting against monsters from an alternate dimension for crying out loud. It was never billed as anything else.

I find they started with a good story in season 1, but like so many American TV shows, they always felt like they had to one-up the previous season until it became just an extravaganza of special effects with a thin plot and 2-dimensional characters. I gave it 3 full seasons to make up my mind, but in the end, I am just not a fan of shows not aimed at adults. That's my cross to bear and no reflection on anyone else...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The American is Dr. Brenner from Season 1. Who says that scene occurs chronologically AFTER the events of Season 3?
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Oh, good. Something else good and fun and entertaining being flayed of all goodness and meaning by old* men on a prog board.

*State of mind, not age.

I have one last episode to go for season 3. I have to say this is very poor compared to the first series. I guess its always the way...

Having watched the last one my opinion hasn't changed. All they need is a dog and they could call it Scooby Doo!

And it looks like its going to go on and on. Shame, not a patch on the first series.