Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Doors - "The Soft Parade" (50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) - 10/18/2019

The Doors - "The Soft Parade" (50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) - 10/18/2019

Tracklist
    [CD1]
    1. Tell All The People (2019 Remaster)
    2. Touch Me (2019 Remaster)
    3. Shaman's Blues (2019 Remaster)
    4. Do It (2019 Remaster)
    5. Easy Ride (2019 Remaster)
    6. Wild Child (2019 Remaster)
    7. Runnin' Blue (2019 Remaster)
    8. Wishful Sinful (2019 Remaster)
    9. The Soft Parade (2019 Remaster)
    10. Who Scared You (2019 Remaster)

[CD2]
    1. Tell All the People (Doors Only Mix)
    2. Touch Me (Doors Only Mix) [New Robby Krieger Overdub]
    3. Runnin' Blue (Doors Only Mix) [New Robby Krieger Overdub]
    4. Wishful Sinful (Doors Only Mix) [New Robby Krieger Overdub]
    5. Who Scared You (Doors Only Mix)
    6. Roadhouse Blues - Screamin' Ray Daniels (a.k.a. Ray Manzarek)
    7. (You Need Meat) Don't Go No Further - Screamin' Ray Daniels [a.k.a. Ray Manzarek]
    8. I'm Your Doctor - Screamin' Ray Daniels (a.k.a. Ray Manzarek)
    9. Touch Me (Doors Only Mix)
    10. Runnin' Blue (Doors Only Mix)
    11. Wishful Sinful (Doors Only Mix)

[CD3]
    1. I Am Troubled (2019 Remaster)
    2. Seminary School (a.k.a. Petition the Lord with Prayer)
    3. Rock Is Dead (Complete Version)
    4. Chaos

[LP]
    TBA

3CD/1LP Deluxe Edition (shown above)
    US - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TNVWQKD/?tag=imwan-20
    CA - Available for pre-order soon: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07TNVWQKD/?tag=imwanca-20
    UK - Available for pre-order soon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TNVWQKD/?tag=imwan-21

1CD Standard Edition
    US - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TKNG3QK/?tag=imwan-20
    CA - Available for pre-order soon: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07TKNG3QK/?tag=imwanca-20
    UK - Available for pre-order soon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TKNG3QK/?tag=imwan-21

I love this album, but am not moved to buy this. A live disc would be nice.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    Tracklist
    [CD1]
    10. Who Scared You (2019 Remaster)

????
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    ????
    B-side of "Wishful Sinful"; has appeared on a few compilations and as a bonus track (usually slightly edited). Great song, really has that Soft Parade sound. Would have made a better album track than a couple of things that did end up being used.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I was SO dissapointed when it was released originally.

Wild Child Though somewhat compensated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Would have made a better album track than a couple of things that did end up being used.
    Yes. The albums were getting patchy by this time.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Stronger than dirt....!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Stronger than dirt....!
    The Doors weren't the only ones to pick up on that Ajax commercial in 1969. I just found a copy of this LP:

B-side of "Wishful Sinful"; has appeared on a few compilations and as a bonus track (usually slightly edited). Great song, really has that Soft Parade sound. Would have made a better album track than a couple of things that did end up being used.
    I'll pass on this anny set ... but I love the inner gatefold of the album... By far the best thing they laid on paper/cardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I was SO dissapointed when it was released originally.

Wild Child Though somewhat compensated.
    the title track is definitely one of their best ever...

Though it was a vaillant attempt, the string & horns arrangements proved derangesome for Doors fans

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Yes. The albums were getting patchy by this time.
    I must say that WFTS, TSP and MH/HRC are pretty average albums...
    Though I wish they'd found another name for the next album, LA Woman was their best.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I spun this album last night after not hearing it in ages. There was a period in the 1980s that I played Doors albums continually, this one included. So I was amazed that I had literally no memory of some of the later tracks on side 1.

This is an odd album, but overall it hung together better than my memory of it. Wild Child is definitely a highlight for me, as is Wishful Sinful. But you know, hearing Touch Me after a nice break from not being bombarded by it on classic rock radio was refreshing too. In it's own way, this was The Doors experimenting, and is kind of cool. In contrast, the title track, which I used to love, seems a bit muddled to me now.

I'd be interested to hear some of those other tracks, but I don't typically bit on these anniversary album boxes. If they are good, this is a rare case where I might download just those tracks.

Bill

A very uneven album, from what I recall of my early teenage period of being a Doors fanatic.

I love the album. But, IMO, nothing comes close to the debut. I can't think of a better track ("Break on Through") by any band to open their first album.

Anyone remember that great "Weird Scenes from inside the Goldmine" comp? That was one of the great comps.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

From my memory this was considered Robbies album. Jim contributed little to it mostly because he was on a downward spiral with drugs and alcohol during the recording of it. It’s my least favorite of the doors albums with Jim. One great song Shamans Blues and a few decent songs like Touch Me Wild Child and Wishful Sinful. Of all the lengthy Doors songs the Soft Parade is my least favorite. Who Scared You should have been put on the original album. I’d be interested to hear some of the alternate tracks but don’t need another copy of the original album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    From my memory this was considered Robbies album. Jim contributed little to it mostly because he was on a downward spiral with drugs and alcohol during the recording of it.
    This was the first Doors album to have individual songwriting credits, and it revealed Krieger and Morrison to be exactly tied in song contributions: 4.5 each. But the balance still tipped towards the Lizard King, as the epic multipart title track was his.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I love the album. But, IMO, nothing comes close to the debut. I can't think of a better track ("Break on Through") by any band to open their first album.

Anyone remember that great "Weird Scenes from inside the Goldmine" comp? That was one of the great comps.
    I would say L.A. Woman is just as good as the debut, and I've got a soft spot for Strange Days. But I would definitely agree that "Weird Scenes Inside the Goldmine" is one of the great compilation albums.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I like the first 3 albums a lot !
    After that, a few tracks here and there, but the music got 'diluted' with mainstream rock.

But, IMO, nothing comes close to the debut. I can't think of a better track ("Break on Through") by any band to open their first album.
    Absolutely. I can remember exactly where I was when I first heard the track (and the album), one of the fairly few early tracks and albums I can say that about.

This was the first Doors album to have individual songwriting credits, and it revealed Krieger and Morrison to be exactly tied in song contributions: 4.5 each. But the balance still tipped towards the Lizard King, as the epic multipart title track was his.
    A story the band has told is that Jim didn't want co-credit for "Tell All The People" because he didn't want the fans to think he was telling them to "get your guns and follow me."

LA Woman is far and away my favorite Doors album. This wasn't always the case, but over time something about this record has really started to resonate with me, particularly the blues tunes which in the past I found rather dull but over time have come to really appreciate. A true five star album in my book.

It used to be a toss up for me between the debut and Strange Days as to which was my favorite. I still think those are fantastic albums. My nod probably goes to the debut, but only by a nose.

Of the other three, it's a mixed bag. Some great stuff on all these albums, but to me they are all uneven at best. I think side 1 on Morrison Hotel is as good as anything they ever did, but side 2 has always felt weak to me. Soft Parade as stated above is hit and miss. But for me the weakest Doors album has always been Waiting for the Sun. Again, a couple of good tunes, Not to Touch the Earth being my favorite. But overall this one always leaves me feeling like it was rushed and incomplete. I believe they originally conceived it to be a double set that would have included Celebration of the Lizard in its entirety. If so, it's a tragedy that didn't happen. At least there are live versions of Celebration that give us a sense of what could have been.

The Doors are a band I was very intensely into in the late 70s early 80s. Ironically, they were critical in my development as a bass player and at one point I could probably play almost all their songs on bass. The studio bass players they used created some incredibly inventive lines, and very little of the Doors material was too hard for a beginner to pick up. So the band has a special place in my musical background. Their sound has always been unique to me, and though I know he's not everybody's cup of tea, I think Morrison was a force of nature and his lyrics and poetry have always appealed to me.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    A story the band has told is that Jim didn't want co-credit for "Tell All The People" because he didn't want the fans to think he was telling them to "get your guns and follow me."
    Which makes no sense at all, because what does Morrison himself say at the end of "Soft Parade"? "You better bring your gun/We're gonna have some fun."

Which makes no sense at all, because what does Morrison himself say at the end of "Soft Parade"? "You better bring your gun/We're gonna have some fun."
    And it wasn't like Morrison had an aversion to fomenting revolution. Such as the lines in "Five to One":

The old get old
    And the young get stronger
    May take a week
    And it may take longer
    They got the guns
    But we got the numbers
    Gonna win, yeah
    We're takin' over
    Come on!
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

The eons are closing
    I actually have that on cassette and was one of a select group of rekkids always in my 85 Stang.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I read a few books in Jim. He was one of the most charismatic people in rock history and I don’t think it was the gun part that bothered him, it was the follow me part. Jim was anti authority and didn’t want people to follow anyone it was all about being yourself and not letting anyone tell you what to do. Jim believed that absolute freedom would be total chaos. He would welcome fans rushing the stage while security would be trying to hold them back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd have to agree though I never owned it, since I had all of their six albums (seven if you include Other Voices) plus Absolutely Live...

But yeah, a buddy of mine always carried Weird Scenes to house parties, and it got spun (at least three sides of the four) during the evening & night.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    LA Woman is far and away my favorite Doors album. This wasn't always the case, but over time something about this record has really started to resonate with me, particularly the blues tunes which in the past I found rather dull but over time have come to really appreciate. A true five star album in my book.

It used to be a toss up for me between the debut and Strange Days as to which was my favorite. I still think those are fantastic albums. My nod probably goes to the debut, but only by a nose.
    LA Woman was an immediate pleaser for me, especially Texas Radio.
    I used to prefer SD to the début for decades, but I realise now that it was also maybe because of the sleeve §which I found fascinating), but I clearly prefer the debut nowadays, because I do find The End rather better than When The Music is Over.

The Doors are a band I was very intensely into in the late 70s early 80s. Ironically, they were critical in my development as a bass player and at one point I could probably play almost all their songs on bass. The studio bass players they used created some incredibly inventive lines, and very little of the Doors material was too hard for a beginner to pick up. So the band has a special place in my musical background. Their sound has always been unique to me, and though I know he's not everybody's cup of tea, I think Morrison was a force of nature and his lyrics and poetry have always appealed to me.

Bill
    that's kind of add, IMHO, since the band chose to do without a bassist in the line-up - if memory serves, they only name a bassist on LA Woman, not the other albums, right?.
    I always assumed Manzarek did those parts from the pedals so I never really paid attention to how good they were..

Consistency wasn't Jim's forrte

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I read a few books in Jim. He was one of the most charismatic people in rock history and I don’t think it was the gun part that bothered him, it was the follow me part. Jim was anti authority and didn’t want people to follow anyone it was all about being yourself and not letting anyone tell you what to do. Jim believed that absolute freedom would be total chaos. He would welcome fans rushing the stage while security would be trying to hold them back.
    I only read No One Here Gets Out Alive, and he certainly had no admiration for his admiral dad ...
    Most likely, that was responsible of 75% of his alienation.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    that's kind of add, IMHO, since the band chose to do without a bassist in the line-up - if memory serves, they only name a bassist on LA Woman, not the other albums, right?.
    I always assumed Manzarek did those parts from the pedals so I never really paid attention to how good they were..
    Not pedals but a separate keyboard (Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, known to the band as the Fart Machine). All the albums also used session bassists, albeit uncredited on the first two