Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 750.0-00 Anni Fa... L'Amore? - Banco's pinnacle? Definitely the best of big 3 songs

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

750.0-00 Anni Fa... L'Amore? - Banco's pinnacle? Definitely the best of big 3 songs

I've been on a Banco binge this week. I think they are sometimes viewed as a lessor big 3 Italian bands. The vocals are stellar. 750.000 Anni Fa... L'Amore? is such a simple piano based vocal song but carries with it an unbelievable emotional resonance. I think Darwin is a stunning entrance into the musical world for Banco, all the way back to 1972. I love PFM and Le Orme but Banco were more instrumentally complex and the vocals were unmatched. My favourite is PFM but Banco is a major challenger. I was lucky enough to see Banco at FMPM in Montreal and it was a stellar show.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

They are viewed as the lesser of the Italian big 3? Not to me. They've always been my favorite of all Italian bands, and one of my favorites period. You are lucky you got to see them. I had tickets to see them at Nearfest 2008 but couldn't make it due to an emergency. The song of which you speak is great but there are so many great ones I can't pick a favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    They are viewed as the lesser of the Italian big 3? Not to me. They've always been my favorite of all Italian bands, and one of my favorites period. You are lucky you got to see them. I had tickets to see them at Nearfest 2008 but couldn't make it due to an emergency. The song of which you speak is great but there are so many great ones I can't pick a favorite.
    Not sure why I think there viewed as lessor but I don't see to hear them discussed as much as PFM and Le Orme. There are many great great songs but 750,000 just strikes me as having the greatest impact on me.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

One of the instances when everything falls right in place to create a perfect masterpiece: Di Giacomo's voice reaches domains of emotion that are kept for the very few, the true artists.

It is a simple song, a love song, and yet a progressive, love song: the weird middle section adds to the drama, and when the whole band comes in at the end, one understands that this is rock music reaching the status of the classical.

I believe back in the 90's Banco was considered no2 behind PFM, but nowadays they enjoy the same god-like status. And rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    One of the instances when everything falls right in place to create a perfect masterpiece: Di Giacomo's voice reaches domains of emotion that are kept for the very few, the true artists.

It is a simple song, a love song, and yet a progressive, love song: the weird middle section adds to the drama, and when the whole band comes in at the end, one understands that this is rock music reaching the status of the classical.

I believe back in the 90's Banco was considered no2 behind PFM, but nowadays they enjoy the same god-like status. And rightly so.
    Agreed (deceptively simple yet highly impactful)! Do you have examples of other Banco songs that approach the masterpiece status?

Extraordinarily gorgeous track. And a top album as well! I remember hearing it for the first time and being utterly enthralled, it was like hearing Foxtrot for the first time or something.

I wouldn't say they are considered lesser by most people. They're in the 'Big 3' for a reason.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Do you have examples of other Banco songs that approach the masterpiece status?
    I heared some live versions of "La Conquista Della Posizione Eretta" which have a totally brutal aproach with the main Keyboard Riff
    that really flaten me all the time..

Do you have examples of other Banco songs that approach the masterpiece status?
    750.000 Fa...L'Amore? is a truly exceptional song, and I wouldn't put anything beside it, you're right into that. In terms of "simple" songwriting I find myself very moved by Non Mi Rompete from Io Sono Nato Libero.

I am a very big fan and consider the first 3 albums to be full of gems of progressive rock, but if I had to pick just one I would say Metamorfosi from the debut. This contains everything that I love in symphonic prog: a monster guitar riff, a brilliant piano improvisational solo, a heavy/jazz hammond passage, all to lead in a gorgeous baroque finale with Di Giacomo's voice crowning the song. Sublime stuff!

All of Darwin! is perfect. Every note. Every strum. Every syllable.

Banco will always be my favorite RPI band (although my love for Le Orme is almost equal.)
    The Prog Corner

For me, Banco and AREA are at the top of the heap of Italian Prog... and near the top of the heap for Prog from any country.

750.000 is a beautiful song, and unique in Banco's catalog, It is surely a masterpiece in its own way, but I think Banco has a lot of masterpieces... Metamorfosi, La Conquista Della Posizione Eretta, much of Di Terra. Tons of great stuff. 750.000, though, hits its mark in a somewhat different way, in some sense more simple and organic, more raw - without being in any way simplistic. Definitely a highlight in a catalog full of highlights.

Bill

Thanks for the feedback! I've been spinning Banco all week and will recheck the suggestions for other gems. Nice to hear the appreciation for 750.000! Di Giacomo's voice is simply stellar! I agree that all of Darwin is impressive. I've been listening to a live boot of Banco in the last few days and the sound quality is not great but the live music in outstanding. I listened to a lot of Area 10 years ago but really need to visit them again (I have a 4 CD box of their music),

My big 3 are PFM, Banco and Area, and they have been my favorites since the mid-70's. Many others come close, but they just don't have as many great albums in their discography.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Their 2001 show at Nearfest was phenomenal. If memory serves they were a replacement for PFM as their keyboardist had a back injury. You could practically hear a pin drop during the quieter passages, Francesco was awesome. I went to all of the Nearfests, and this one show probably tops them all for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    Their 2001 show at Nearfest was phenomenal. If memory serves they were a replacement for PFM as their keyboardist had a back injury. You could practically hear a pin drop during the quieter passages, Francesco was awesome. I went to all of the Nearfests, and this one show probably tops them all for me.
    Believe it or not, they were even better at Prog Fest in 2000. I don't think they were a replacement band in 2001, I think that was later that the PFM keyboard player had the back issues.

In any case, Banco has always been good live. I highly recommend trying to find a copy of Seguendo Le Tracce for a dose of Banco live in their prime. Sadly no 750.000, but still a very fine set.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Believe it or not, they were even better at Prog Fest in 2000. I don't think they were a replacement band in 2001, I think that was later that the PFM keyboard player had the back issues.

In any case, Banco has always been good live. I highly recommend trying to find a copy of Seguendo Le Tracce for a dose of Banco live in their prime. Sadly no 750.000, but still a very fine set.
    Any ideas where I might find Seguendo Le Tracce Bill? EDIT - I found it!

I have two boots but the sound quality is so poor but the live performance is still strong.

For anyone who hasn't heart 750.000 here's a link:

Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-20-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post

Banco has always been my favorite Italian band...Giacomo was always the difference. The fact that I never got to see them until Nearfest 2001, made them an elusive draw...PFM was secondary and I saw them twice in the 70's. Best live Banco to me is Seguendo Le Tracce, which I never acquired until about 15 years ago.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Best live Banco to me is Seguendo Le Tracce, which I never acquired until about 15 years ago.
    As it was only released 14 years ago you where still an early buyer

Any ideas where I might find Seguendo Le Tracce Bill? EDIT - I found it!
    Glad you found it! I spun it last night, inspired by this thread. I'm still recovering from the ass kicking! Man those guys were good! Incredible they could pull that stuff of live and how much it sounds like the studio album, all the richness and detail, the dual keyboard attack in full force, and all with some added punch for being live. There's like a 20+ minute version of Metamorfosi that is jaw dropping! This really is a gem of a live recording, with absolutely incredible sound and performances. You will definitely enjoy it!

Bill

Glad you found it! I spun it last night, inspired by this thread. I'm still recovering from the ass kicking! Man those guys were good! Incredible they could pull that stuff of live and how much it sounds like the studio album, all the richness and detail, the dual keyboard attack in full force, and all with some added punch for being live. There's like a 20+ minute version of Metamorfosi that is jaw dropping! This really is a gem of a live recording, with absolutely incredible sound and performances. You will definitely enjoy it!

Bill
    Sounds amazing! The sound quality is likely much superior to my other boots. I'm going to play 750.00 tonight. I have a group of 4 friends who I meet monthly with, rotating houses, for a prog night. It's like a book club with music. Each person takes turns playing one song, desribing the music, what they like about it, why they selected it. We blast the music loud and just listen intently. It's a lot of fun!!!

Sounds amazing! The sound quality is likely much superior to my other boots. I'm going to play 750.00 tonight. I have a group of 4 friends who I meet monthly with, rotating houses, for a prog night. It's like a book club with music. Each person takes turns playing one song, desribing the music, what they like about it, why they selected it. We blast the music loud and just listen intently. It's a lot of fun!!!
    That sounds awesome! I'd love to do something like that. They treid to do listening parties with NewEars, the Boston/New England Prog society. It never really caught on, but I did meet some very good friends and now band-mates at one of those events.

Hope your friends like 750.000. If they don't, you need new friends!

Bill

That sounds awesome! I'd love to do something like that. They treid to do listening parties with NewEars, the Boston/New England Prog society. It never really caught on, but I did meet some very good friends and now band-mates at one of those events.

Hope your friends like 750.000. If they don't, you need new friends!

Bill
    Two of the 4 friends, are new to prog but have participated in about 6 or 7 get togethers so far. 750.000 went over extremely well. We listened to Anglagard, Spock's Beard, IQ, a 9 CD boot of the Lamb with new jamming instrumental tracks, Le Orme, Kraftwerk, PG IV, and some non-prog tracks like Jeff Beck. We're all in our mid-50s but I've met a few times with a 30 something prog fan from work who has a huge LP collection of all kinds of progressive music. Of course, Banco was played!

Two of the 4 friends, are new to prog but have participated in about 6 or 7 get togethers so far. 750.000 went over extremely well. We listened to Anglagard, Spock's Beard, IQ, a 9 CD boot of the Lamb with new jamming instrumental tracks, Le Orme, Kraftwerk, PG IV, and some non-prog tracks like Jeff Beck. We're all in our mid-50s but I've met a few times with a 30 something prog fan from work who has a huge LP collection of all kinds of progressive music. Of course, Banco was played!
    Awesome!!

Can you say more about that nine CD boot of the Lamb? What do you mean by new jamming instrumental tracks? (Sorry for the Banco diversion, I'm just curious about this).

Bill

Here's a description on the box:

This is not a complilation of previously available Headly Grange rehearsals. It's a new 5 CD set that surfaced a few years ago. Before that there had already been the Tape 17 rehearsals that had appeared on In the Beginnings Volume 7 and 8 (These included the previously available rehearsals that had appeared on The Lamb Descends on Waterbury) and on In The Beginnings Volume 6). On top of that there are some studio outtakes on ITB volumes 1-3. Someone asked what these are. They are tapes from the writing session for the album that took place at Headley Grange. Phil Collins usually turns up first which is why the day starts with a drum solo. At other times the early birds jam on cover versions. We think the person singing on Heart of Stone may be a roadie.

CD 6&7 - January 11 1975 - Lakeland Civic Center Condert Hall, Lakeland FL. CD 8&9 April 19, 1975 Empire Theater, Liverpool, UK. DVD - a perfect reconstruction of the exploisive live show.

The jamming stuff I referred to where unreleased short instrumental tracks from the Headley Grange sessions. The DVD is highly dodgy with lots of still photos interspered with short clips of live footage. It's done with love so it's still semi-interesting.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-21-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Interesting, thanks!

Bill