Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL - Stormwatch - 40th anniversary Force 10 Edition October 11th

It's my least fav Tull album of the 70's but I still dig it. I can see both sides of the coin when discussing this album though.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    It's my least fav Tull album of the 70's but I still dig it. I can see both sides of the coin when discussing this album though.
    Strong double album worth. I like nearly every track from the double album more than anything on Minstrel album lol. Summerday sand saves the day

Excellent album imo.

Jethro Tull always had some very good unreleased songs.
    I already have the 2004 remaster, kelpie and king henry's madrigal are excellent.

My least favorite albums are Warchild and Too old...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Not sure how that's a "#vinyl unboxing".

Just received my copy and immediately bunged DVD1 in the player. I must say this may be the most revealing surround mix I have ever heard. TONS of stuff I don't remember ever hearing before.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

All the associate recording are great. Couldn’t get through the live stuff. Too dry and lifeless sounding. Must be a soundboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Couldn’t get through the live stuff. Too dry and lifeless sounding. Must be a soundboard.
    It's such a strange set list, with seven Stormwatch tracks in a row front-loaded into the beginning of the show. I actually think it's the older live material that sounds the best.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's such a strange set list, with seven Stormwatch tracks in a row front-loaded into the beginning of the show.
    Not really all that far removed from the TAAB and APP tours where they opened the shows by playing an entire new album.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Must be a soundboard.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's definitely a soundboard. I've had a good quality boot of this show (Watchers on the Storm) for 25 years and this box version doesn't sound much different at all.

Ordered from Burning Shed, which means I won't see it until mid-November.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Less expensive from Walmart and received on Monday. Interesting sonic differences between the 5.1 DTS 96/24, Stereo 96/24 PCM and flat transfer 96/24. 5.1 has the most dynamic bass. Original flat transfer is so obviously compressed, if you listen after the 5.1. The new stereo mix has greater dynamic range, but the 5.1 is the best. The book misstates the 5.1 format as DTS and Dolby Digital. But the DTS 5.1 is 96/24 which is way better than DTS or DD. However, the PCM sounds sweeter in the high end to me, and I wish we could get lossless 5.1 96/24.

I feel a little sorry for the UK retailers. I cancelled my preorder with Badlands, due to the push back to Nov 15. I would guess a lot of those retailers are taking a beating, and the situation is completely out of their control. Their loss is someone else's gain...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I cancelled my preorder with Burning Shed and ordered from Kenny G.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I cancelled my preorder with Burning Shed and ordered from Kenny G.
    Just don't let him send you the version he overdubbed jive soprano saxophone playing on... (sorry, couldn't resist)

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Just don't let him send you the version he overdubbed jive soprano saxophone playing on... (sorry, couldn't resist)

What a wonderful world!

The only Tull album between Stand Up and Rock Island that I've never heard...

Quote Originally Posted by ctoelle View Post
    It's definitely a soundboard. I've had a good quality boot of this show (Watchers on the Storm) for 25 years and this box version doesn't sound much different at all.
    Nice that Something's On The Move is complete finally here: the 'Watchers on the Storm' version cuts off before Martin's solo (ouch!), BUT Dam Busters March still fades out--missing the show concluding Minstrel In The Gallery reprise--just like on 'Watchers on the Storm'. (maybe the tape ran out, hence the fade?)

I remember when the vinyl was released & I was puzzled that Glascock's name was in small print. When I found out what had happened, I thought it was unnecessary on the part of IA to do that; somewhat cold blooded. Over the years this impression solidified itself; not a very up-front & friendly person. As much as I love JTs music I don't like, & won't support, IA. I'm passing on all of this stuff.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I remember when the vinyl was released & I was puzzled that Glascock's name was in small print. When I found out what had happened, I thought it was unnecessary on the part of IA to do that; somewhat cold blooded. Over the years this impression solidified itself; not a very up-front & friendly person. As much as I love JTs music I don't like, & won't support, IA. I'm passing on all of this stuff.
    What exactly are you accusing him of ? Glascock's name is in small print because he only played on 3 tracks on the album, had missed a tour in 1978 due to health problems and wasn't going to be on the tour that followed the album's release, and during which he died. (He was still alive when the album came out.)

I'm always "impressed" that people feel entitled to pass judgment on others' behaviour on the basis on imputed motives.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    With these nice deluxe editions, he could release A and subtitle it “The Fuck Everyone I’ve Ever Worked With Edition” and I’d buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    With these nice deluxe editions, he could release A and subtitle it “The Fuck Everyone I’ve Ever Worked With Edition” and I’d buy it!
    Or Ian could release a compilation of his work over the past 10 years without even Martin Barre and title it "The Tull Union Scale Sessions"
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Or Ian could release a compilation of his work over the past 10 years without even Martin Barre and title it "The Tull Union Scale Sessions"
    Dull Tull rolls off the tongue so much better.

To each his own. You should know that I based my opinion on direct quotes from band members in print or on video. As I said, at the outset I was puzzled. Then, when informed, I made my judgment. I felt at the time, and still feel, that the judgments of people who were there are sufficient for me.

BTW: I'm not trying to impress anyone. Move along folks, nothing to see here.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like