Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL - Stormwatch - 40th anniversary Force 10 Edition October 11th

JETHRO TULL - Stormwatch - 40th anniversary Force 10 Edition October 11th

Finally this one is on its way! And yet again, numerous completely unheard songs. I can't get over what is still being unearthed in the Tull vaults!

https://www.gratefulweb.com/articles...ersary-edition

Highlights include:

- Original album and associated recordings newly remixed by Steven Wilson

- Full concert from the Netherlands recorded in March 1980

- Original album and 13 associated recordings mixed to 5.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital

- Flat transfer of the original 1979 mix at 96/24 LPCM stereo

- 15 associated recordings mixed to 96/24 LPCM stereo and five original mixes at 96/24 LPCM stereo

- Presented in a case-bound DVD book filled with an extensive history of the album, track-by-track annotations by Anderson and Palmer, rare photographs and more

The recording sessions for Stormwatch stretched from August 1978 to July 1979 as the album’s ecological and maritime themes slowly came into focus on songs like “North Sea Oil” and “Flying Dutchman.” The band recorded several tracks that were left off the album because they didn’t fit the theme. Many of those can be found on the second disc of this set, including “Man Of God,” “Crossword,” “Kelpie” and “The Lyricon Blues.” In addition to those outtakes, the disc also features early versions of the album tracks “Dark Ages” and “Dun Ringill.”

STORMWATCH: 40th ANNIVERSARY FORCE 10 EDITION also includes a previously unreleased recording of Jethro Tull’s concert at Congreßgebouw in the Netherlands on March 16, 1980. The career-spanning performance mixed new Stormwatch tracks (“Something’s On The Move,” “Home” and “Elegy”) with older hits, like “Locomotive Breath,” “Aqualung,” “Thick As A Brick” and “Minstrel In The Gallery.”

STORMWATCH: 40th ANNIVERSARY FORCE 10 EDITION concludes with two audio-only DVDs that feature various mixes of the original album along with the associated recordings featured in this set.

Stormwatch marked the end of an era for Jethro Tull. Due to his deteriorating health, bassist John Glascock missed most of the sessions for the album and only appears on three of its songs (“Flying Dutchman,” “Orion” and “Elegy.”) Tragically, Glascock died shortly after the album was released. The lineup changed even more following the tour to promote the album as Barlow, Evan and Palmer left the group.

STORMWATCH: 40th ANNIVERSARY FORCE 10 EDITION

Track Listing:

Disc One: Steven Wilson Remix of Original Album

1. “North Sea Oil”

2. “Orion”

3. “Home”

4. “Dark Ages”

5. “Warm Sporran”

6. “Something’s On The Move”

7. “Old Ghosts”

8. “Dun Ringill”

9. “Flying Dutchman”

10. “Elegy”

Disc Two: Associated Recordings

1. “Crossword”

2. “Dark Ages” (early version) [Previously Unreleased]

3. “Kelpie”

4. “Dun Ringill” (early version) [Previously Unreleased On CD]

5. “A Stitch In Time”

6. “A Single Man” [Previously Unreleased]

7. “Broadford Bazaar”

8. “King Henry’s Madrigal”

9. “Orion” (full version) [Previously Unreleased]

10. “Urban Apocalypse” [Previously Unreleased]

11. “The Lyricon Blues”

12. “Man Of God” [Previously Unreleased]

13. Rock Instrumental (unfinished master) [Previously Unreleased]

14. “Prelude To A Storm” [Previously Unreleased]

15. “Sweet Dream” (live)

Disc Three: Live in the Netherlands (March 16. 1980) [Previously Unreleased]

1. Intro

2. “Dark Ages”

3. “Home”

4. “Orion”

5. “Dun Ringill”

6. “Elegy”

7. “Old Ghosts”

8. “Something’s On The Move”

9. “Aqualung”

10. “Peggy's Pub”

11. “Jack-In-The-Green”

12. “King Henry’s Madrigal”/Drum Solo

13. “Heavy Horses”

Disc Four: Live in the Netherlands (March 16. 1980) [Previously Unreleased]

1. Flute Solo (incl. “Bourée/Soirée/God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/Kelpie”)

2. Keyboard Duet (Bach’s Prelude in Cm from the “Well-Tempered Clavier 1”)

3. “Songs From The Wood”

4. “Hunting Girl”

5. “Jams O’Donnel’s Jigs”

6. “Thick As A Brick”

7. “Too Old To Rock ’n’ Roll: Too Young To Die!”

8. “Cross-Eyed Mary”

9. Guitar Solo

10. “Minstrel In The Gallery”

11. “Locomotive Breath”

12. “Dambusters March”

DVD One: Audio Only

- Stormwatch mixed to 5.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital

- Flat transfer of the original 1979 mix at 96/24 LPCM stereo

DVD Two: Audio Only

- Contains 13 associated recordings mixed to 5.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital

- 15 associated recordings mixed to 96/24 LPCM stereo

- Five original mixes at 96/24 LPCM stereo
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Finally this one is on its way! And yet again, numerous completely unheard songs. I can't get over what is still being unearthed in the Tull vaults!
    This is very cool; Stormwatch is an underrated album and deserves this level of treatment. The second side is a thing of beauty from beginning to end.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Nice!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Schwing!! Great news - I was just wondering how/when Wislon was going to fit this into his schedule. Thanks, Progatron!

From the tracklist it looks like the live show is one that's been heavily bootlegged over the years - it's a great show so it will be nice to have an official version of it.

One of my favorite Tull albums. I’ll buy this for the extras. Thanks for the info. Seems like a long time to wait.

I'll probably buy the extended version because it's the last album of the original (or at least quasi-original) Tull band.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    One of my favorite Tull albums. I’ll buy this for the extras. Thanks for the info. Seems like a long time to wait.
    A week shy of three months... I think that's roughly on par with the rest of these sets if I recall. I don't want to wait either, but I'm glad it will be October, because the fall is easily my favourite season to listen to Tull!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

A week shy of three months... I think that's roughly on par with the rest of these sets if I recall. I don't want to wait either, but I'm glad it will be October, because the fall is easily my favourite season to listen to Tull!
    And it's the season the album was originally released in. They're hitting within weeks of the actual 40th anniversary.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

It will be great to have an officially released live CD with Dave playing bass in the Barlow/Evans/Palmer line-up.

Woohoo! This is cool news.

Looks like another great set. The concert is the heavily bootlegged Den Haag show, originally a radio broadcast I believe. Great version of Orion. I’ll be curious to hear how much the sound is cleaned up on it e.g. do the multi tracks still exist, my Flashback Records boot could certainly benefit from an upgrade.

Guessing the early recordings of Dark Ages and Dun Ringill are the ones recorded before the spring 1979 tour, with John Glascock on bass. Dark Ages had an extra verse. The track listed as Orion (full version) could also be from those sessions. On the Stormwatch album I think only Orion, Flying Dutchman and Elegy were from those sessions, along with some of the bonus tracks Crossword and Kelpie.

There was a BBC Lively Arts Arena documentary that included some of this. Too bad it’s not on the forthcoming box set, the Beeb probably asked for too much money for it, as they did for the Sight and Sound Footage that could have been on the Songs from the Wood set.
    Last edited by Wah3; 07-18-2019 at 10:57 AM.

In.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I never got into Stormwatch. Maybe I should give it another spin? I am intrigued by the extras. Most artist's extras don't tempt me, but Ian's trash is...

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    ... but Ian's trash is...
    GOLD!

Isn't this the third of the trifecta of SftW and HH? I LOVE SftW (a desert island disc) and HH, but am only familiar with some of these songs. I think I might have to buy this, assuming the price is as good as the previous boxes.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Isn't this the third of the trifecta of SftW and HH?
    Well, people often cite the three as some sort of trilogy, but I don't know why. I think perhaps they feel a need to lump groups of Tull albums together to form 'phases' or 'eras' of their career, and there's nowhere else to put Stormwatch - despite it having little in common with the themes of the previous two. If SFTW and HH are focused largely on rustic, rural life in England's green and pleasant lands, Stormwatch is darker in nature, with themes of damage to the environment, wealth imbalance, and isolation. I think it points more towards the lyrical direction of A, the following album, than it looks back to the previous ones - apart, possibly, from Dun Ringill, which could have found a home on either of those, I think.

Musically, of course, the similarities are greater, particularly the wonderful mid-late 70s dynamic between Martin's rocking guitar and Ian's folky acoustic. But with Ian also assuming bass duties for the majority of the album, it has a slightly different feel. A bit... colder, perhaps. I do love the album though!

Tull's releases like this with new music are worth it. Most similar to this just have demos (why?) or "alternate mix"

If SFTW and HH are focused largely on rustic, rural life in England's green and pleasant lands, Stormwatch is darker in nature, with themes of damage to the environment, wealth imbalance, and isolation.
    Another thing that makes Stormwatch stand apart is the persistent water/ice/storm imagery. The cover lets you know from the outset that it's a very cold album.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Tull's releases like this with new music are worth it. Most similar to this just have demos (why?) or "alternate mix"
    After scraping the barrel so many times, starting with the '88 box set, it's amazing that Ian still keeps coming up with vintage songs we haven't heard before. I'm curious to see how "Urban Apocalypse" is credited. Dee Palmer has released her own version--you can hear it on Bandcamp--complete with Martin Barre guesting on guitar, and she appears to take credit for both music and lyrics.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Disc Two: Associated Recordings

1. “Crossword”

2. “Dark Ages” (early version) [Previously Unreleased]

3. “Kelpie”

4. “Dun Ringill” (early version) [Previously Unreleased On CD]

5. “A Stitch In Time”

6. “A Single Man” [Previously Unreleased]

7. “Broadford Bazaar”

8. “King Henry’s Madrigal”

9. “Orion” (full version) [Previously Unreleased]

10. “Urban Apocalypse” [Previously Unreleased]

11. “The Lyricon Blues”

12. “Man Of God” [Previously Unreleased]

13. Rock Instrumental (unfinished master) [Previously Unreleased]

14. “Prelude To A Storm” [Previously Unreleased]

15. “Sweet Dream” (live)

Can't wait for this. This is my favorite Tull from this era.

Well, people often cite the three as some sort of trilogy, but I don't know why. I think perhaps they feel a need to lump groups of Tull albums together to form 'phases' or 'eras' of their career, and there's nowhere else to put Stormwatch - despite it having little in common with the themes of the previous two. If SFTW and HH are focused largely on rustic, rural life in England's green and pleasant lands, Stormwatch is darker in nature, with themes of damage to the environment, wealth imbalance, and isolation. I think it points more towards the lyrical direction of A, the following album, than it looks back to the previous ones - apart, possibly, from Dun Ringill, which could have found a home on either of those, I think.

Musically, of course, the similarities are greater, particularly the wonderful mid-late 70s dynamic between Martin's rocking guitar and Ian's folky acoustic. But with Ian also assuming bass duties for the majority of the album, it has a slightly different feel. A bit... colder, perhaps. I do love the album though!
    Disagree. A feels very different compared to the "folk trilogy." If anything, it feels streamlined.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    In an interview somewhere, Ian said something along the lines of that Tull tends to alternate between Winter and Summer albums, and that Stormwatch was a reaction to the warmth of Heavy Horses. I think he meant a subconscious reaction, not intentional. I might have this a bit off, but you get the gist.

Steven Wilson posted:

18th October will see the release on RHINO / Parlophone of another in the series of remixed Jethro Tull deluxe editions. Stormwatch: The 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition is a massively expanded 6 disc version of the band's 1979 album Stormwatch. CD1 includes my remix of the original 10 track album, while CD2 includes 72 minutes of associated recordings all freshly remixed, including several previously unreleased songs from the sessions (see below for full contents of this disc). Perhaps of particular interest to fans is that key track Orion was recorded as a significantly longer and more complex piece before being edited down to less than half its length for the album. The complete unedited master has been mixed and is presented here for the first time. CDs 3+4 include a concert recording from March 1980. Finally, two DVDs include all of the remixed material in high resolution stereo and 5.1 surround sound. As always with these deluxe Tull book editions, it's likely to be a one-time manufacturing run, so pre-ordering is advised. News on that coming soon!

Disc Two: Associated Recordings (all new 2019 remixes)

1. Crossword (3.35)
    2. Dark Ages (early version) (11.54)*
    3. Kelpie (3.33)
    4. Dun Ringill (early version) (2.42)
    5. A Stitch In Time (4.26)
    6. A Single Man (2.39)*
    7. Broadford Bazaar (3.44)
    8. King Henry’s Madrigal (3.03)
    9. Orion (full version) (9.13)*
    10. Urban Apocalypse (4.46)*
    11. The Lyricon Blues (5.14)
    12. Man Of God (6.31)*
    13. Rock Instrumental (unfinished master) (3.30)*
    14. Prelude To A Storm (2.30)*
    15. Sweet Dream (live) (4.38)

* Previously unreleased

I've already purchased this album three times, once on vinyl and twice on CD. But I've always felt that it could sound better so the re-mix along with the outtakes and live show looks like a nice package.