Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL - Stormwatch - 40th anniversary Force 10 Edition October 11th

Never did like the original album but I am interested to hear "new" songs.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I’m very intrigued with a 9 minute Orion. That’s my favorite song on the album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I’m very intrigued with a 9 minute Orion. That’s my favorite song on the album.
    Yes, that is certainly noteworthy. It's got to be more than a simple 'lost' verse that's been restored (as on A Passion Play), or an extended fadeout or something. That's more than twice its album length!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Well, people often cite the three as some sort of trilogy, but I don't know why. I think perhaps they feel a need to lump groups of Tull albums together to form 'phases' or 'eras' of their career, and there's nowhere else to put Stormwatch - despite it having little in common with the themes of the previous two. If SFTW and HH are focused largely on rustic, rural life in England's green and pleasant lands, Stormwatch is darker in nature, with themes of damage to the environment, wealth imbalance, and isolation. I think it points more towards the lyrical direction of A, the following album, than it looks back to the previous ones - apart, possibly, from Dun Ringill, which could have found a home on either of those, I think.

Musically, of course, the similarities are greater, particularly the wonderful mid-late 70s dynamic between Martin's rocking guitar and Ian's folky acoustic. But with Ian also assuming bass duties for the majority of the album, it has a slightly different feel. A bit... colder, perhaps. I do love the album though!
    I see it as a seasons trilogy; SFTW as spring/early summer, HH as late summer/autumn, and Stormwatch as wintry.

Gonna be a ripper. Hopefully the 4-5 new tracks are first class like most of Tulls outtakes. Horses and Songs were very good and this will be the best

Could some of the darkness of this album be credited to a well-liked band member's failing health at only 28 years old? Ian filling in on bass when he could probably tapped anyone he wanted.....hoping JG would heal and return to the fold?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I see it as a seasons trilogy; SFTW as spring/early summer, HH as late summer/autumn, and Stormwatch as wintry.
    Good assessment. All 3 albums had a theme in the way the songs were written for each album. In-other-words there was some long main songs interspersed within the short radio friendly material and ending with a song that seemed to be written as a separate song to end the album. Yeah a lot of albums were written that way but Ian seemed to had the idea from the beginning to do it like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Good assessment. All 3 albums had a theme in the way the songs were written for each album. In-other-words there was some long main songs interspersed within the short radio friendly material and ending with a song that seemed to be written as a separate song to end the album. Yeah a lot of albums were written that way but Ian seemed to had the idea from the beginning to do it like this.
    Huh. It hadn't really occurred to me that each album has a big heavy epic as the penultimate song, followed by a lighter closing number. Actually Stormwatch ends both sides that way.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Definitely a solid assessment of these albums.

Plus, all three albums touch upon modern encroachment upon the past ideals of these seasons: "Jack in the Green" bemoans "motorways, power lines keep[ing] us apart", "Heavy Horses" tells tractors to piss off, and "North Sea Oil" is not in favor of the topic ("riggers rig and diggers dig their shallow graves").
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think I'm going to have to wait until Amazon or Bull Moose (or possible a domestic prog vendor) has this for preorder. It comes to about $50 from Burning Shed with the less-expensive insured shipping option. I'm now leery of not using the insurance with Burning Shed. Although I wonder if it will cost less from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk, or Bull Moose.

^^ Weren't the other sets much cheaper than that? I didn't buy the HH one (got a used remaster for six bucks), but only paid about 35 bucks for SftW.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'll just get it from Amazon US but it is an auto-buy (still regretting that I didn't get SFTW)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ Weren't the other sets much cheaper than that? I didn't buy the HH one (got a used remaster for six bucks), but only paid about 35 bucks for SftW.
    FWIW, this one is six discs. SFTW and HH were five, and the others were four or fewer. The added disc itself shouldn't add that much to the cost, but they may have to upgrade the packaging to accommodate it.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think I'm going to have to wait until Amazon or Bull Moose (or possible a domestic prog vendor) has this for preorder. It comes to about $50 from Burning Shed with the less-expensive insured shipping option. I'm now leery of not using the insurance with Burning Shed. Although I wonder if it will cost less from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk, or Bull Moose.
    I've ordered lots of things from Burning Shed over the years, including the TD Hades box, and I've never used the insurance. Never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I've ordered lots of things from Burning Shed over the years, including the TD Hades box, and I've never used the insurance. Never had a problem.
    Me too, but when I was waiting for the latest KC box to arrive from them and everyone who paid for insurance had already received theirs, I got a little worried it was lost and also just was envious of those who got it more quickly.

But, I also don't like Burning Shed's policy that they say if you don't pay for insurance and it gets lost - tough luck. I think if that's the case they should charge everyone for insurance, and if they want, just build it into their selling price. Why is the onus on the customer?

But I think we've discussed this before. I'll wait until it arrives at domestic vendors and see what the price is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Two shipments from Burning Shed. So far, so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I never got into Stormwatch. Maybe I should give it another spin? I am intrigued by the extras. Most artist's extras don't tempt me, but Ian's trash is...
    SW is the end of an out-of-breath band and it sort of sounds like it... Simply not as good as the two albums it follows

Well, wirh the previous remaster generation Tull's extras are ultra-worthy (except in the notable case of TAAB) for being real extra-tracks (no alt takes or early versions) and simply the best in the business (Caravan being a distant second in the prog world)

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    GOLD!

Isn't this the third of the trifecta of SftW and HH? I LOVE SftW (a desert island disc) and HH, but am only familiar with some of these songs. I think I might have to buy this, assuming the price is as good as the previous boxes.
    TBH, extra tracks from recording session of an average album are...... average.
    You won't find a "gem" in there, but more of the same.

However, from what I gather, there are more real extra tracks, plus a shitload of alt-takes or early demos or live renditions, all of which I'm not interested in (even the live ones, unless in a concert context concept)

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Tull's releases like this with new music are worth it. Most similar to this just have demos (why?) or "alternate mix"
    TBH, the rare odd real track/song he unearthed won't be enough for me to indulge (I have not done so for all of them, except for Stand Up), so I'll just stick with my previous remaster (provided I kept it)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I've already purchased this album three times, once on vinyl and twice on CD. But I've always felt that it could sound better so the re-mix along with the outtakes and live show looks like a nice package.
    As far as Tull is concerned, I've only done that for Stand Up : vinyl, first gen CD (now given away), remastered Mini-Lp and the boxset (not the SW one).

I haven't even done that for TAAB or Aqualung (vinyl, first gen, and remastered mini-lp), so I'm not about to do that for second/third tiers albums like SW: twice is enough, - and I don't own the vinyls anymore.

When I reach out for Tull, I go for my mini-lps anyways.

In an interview somewhere, Ian said something along the lines of that Tull tends to alternate between Winter and Summer albums, and that Stormwatch was a reaction to the warmth of Heavy Horses. I think he meant a subconscious reaction, not intentional. I might have this a bit off, but you get the gist.
    Could be, because that would make SFTW a winter album, which it definitely isn't

That sounds much better to me

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Gonna be a ripper. Hopefully the 4-5 new tracks are first class like most of Tulls outtakes. Horses and Songs were very good and this will be the best
    Well, I wouldn't hold my breath on the extra songs... It's not like the previous batch he selected for the SW remasters of the early 00's are better than the album itself... Most likely the new ones won't better the previous batch of exctra tracks.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My old CD of Thick As A Brick sounds fine to my ears. But honestly I've spent more time listening to Stormwatch. And to my ears the stereo remixes of Minstrel, and ...Wood are a significant improvement. So I'm counting on the same for this new set.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Could be, because that would make SFTW a winter album, which it isn’t.
    Although I was paraphrasing, I did say Tull “tends” to do that, and Ian said something similar. It wasn’t a rule they followed or anything. Just a tendency.

Although I was paraphrasing, I did say Tull “tends” to do that, and Ian said something similar. It wasn’t a rule they followed or anything. Just a tendency.
    Actually, the better analogy is SFTW - forest and the wild, HH - farm and field, SW - Sea and sky.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

You can't possibly know that though.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    You can't possibly know that though.
    When has that stopped people on PE from stating their opinion or a guess as indisputable fact? Maybe he's holding Ian as his prisoner and got it out of him.

SW is the end of an out-of-breath band and it sort of sounds like it... Simply not as good as the two albums it follows

Well, wirh the previous remaster generation Tull's extras are ultra-worthy (except in the notable case of TAAB) for being real extra-tracks (no alt takes or early versions) and simply the best in the business (Caravan being a distant second in the prog world)

However, from what I gather, there are more real extra tracks, plus a shitload of alt-takes or early demos or live renditions, all of which I'm not interested in (even the live ones, unless in a concert context concept)

TBH, the rare odd real track/song he unearthed won't be enough for me to indulge (I have not done so for all of them, except for Stand Up), so I'll just stick with my previous remaster (provided I kept it)
    This is Tulls best year. 3-4 strong album tracks and 5-6 strong outtakes. The remix will make everything sound even better

This thread inspired me to give Stormwatch a proper listen last night, and as you probably assume, my respect for this album has increased quite a bit. I always listened to it half-heartedly. Maybe because of it was the final release from the classic lineup. Maybe because it has such a dark sound. Maybe because of the passing of John Glascock. Maybe because of the video interviews with members whom were so unkindly dismissed from the band. I don't know.

Regardless, that listening session last night got me excited for this 40th anniversary box like it were a new release.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015