Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 66 of 66

Thread: Jon Anderson 2019 Tour

  1. #51
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,124
    I was at the show at Parx Casino last night, and my buddy and I were impressed. Jon sounded great, and has lost none of the "silly hippie" charm. The band was better than expected (which may speak more to my low expectations), but seemed to do a better job on the Yes songs earlier in the show than in the later parts. Spoilers to come....



    "Owner of a Lonely Heart" was solid, and the band kept it pretty close to the record, hitting all of the stabby orchestra hits (with actual horns!) and percussion beats, and the guitarist did an admirable job on "Yours Is No Disgrace." The Olias songs were by far the best of the night. He should really take this band on an Olias tour and play the entire album. They nailed those songs. And they of course did a good job on the 1,000 Hands tracks.

    But they definitely played simpler arrangements of some of the other Yes songs. The guitarist seemed capable, but they skipped entire sections of "America" that feature Howe on the recording. A major violation, IMO. But he did a capable job on Starship Trooper and Roundabout, so go figure.

    In many ways, the new instrumentation, featuring horns, violin and percussion, breathed new life into some of the tired classics. But in other ways, it seemed a concession to the more basic arrangements.

    Overall, it was a very enjoyable show that served as a pretty good celebration of Jon's career, with some surprises like "State of Independence" and the Olias selections.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  2. #52
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I was at the show at Parx Casino last night, and my buddy and I were impressed. Jon sounded great, and has lost none of the "silly hippie" charm. The band was better than expected (which may speak more to my low expectations), but seemed to do a better job on the Yes songs earlier in the show than in the later parts. Spoilers to come....



    "Owner of a Lonely Heart" was solid, and the band kept it pretty close to the record, hitting all of the stabby orchestra hits (with actual horns!) and percussion beats, and the guitarist did an admirable job on "Yours Is No Disgrace." The Olias songs were by far the best of the night. He should really take this band on an Olias tour and play the entire album. They nailed those songs. And they of course did a good job on the 1,000 Hands tracks.

    But they definitely played simpler arrangements of some of the other Yes songs. The guitarist seemed capable, but they skipped entire sections of "America" that feature Howe on the recording. A major violation, IMO. But he did a capable job on Starship Trooper and Roundabout, so go figure.

    In many ways, the new instrumentation, featuring horns, violin and percussion, breathed new life into some of the tired classics. But in other ways, it seemed a concession to the more basic arrangements.

    Overall, it was a very enjoyable show that served as a pretty good celebration of Jon's career, with some surprises like "State of Independence" and the Olias selections.
    I think your comment, breathed new life into some of the tired classics is spot on, and echo my impressions from our experience in Clearwater. I would add "classics" as well.
    I thought the arrangement and ending of Starship was brilliant and as it evolved throughout the song, weaving in and out between traditional and new concluding with the greatest ending I've ever heard of that song. It left my wife and I looking at each other, amazed at what we'd just seen and heard. It was truly the most memorable experience I can remember.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    He should really take this band on an Olias tour and play the entire album. They nailed those songs. And they of course did a good job on the 1,000 Hands tracks.
    Yes! 1,000 hands clapping for "Olias!" Do it, Jon!
    Amazon Marketplace - http://www.amazon.com/shops/A3UJ306B3ZDWF4
    Many hard to find CDs (mostly prog)

  4. #54
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I was at the show at Parx Casino last night, and my buddy and I were impressed. Jon sounded great, and has lost none of the "silly hippie" charm. The band was better than expected (which may speak more to my low expectations), but seemed to do a better job on the Yes songs earlier in the show than in the later parts. Spoilers to come....



    "Owner of a Lonely Heart" was solid, and the band kept it pretty close to the record, hitting all of the stabby orchestra hits (with actual horns!) and percussion beats, and the guitarist did an admirable job on "Yours Is No Disgrace." The Olias songs were by far the best of the night. He should really take this band on an Olias tour and play the entire album. They nailed those songs. And they of course did a good job on the 1,000 Hands tracks.

    But they definitely played simpler arrangements of some of the other Yes songs. The guitarist seemed capable, but they skipped entire sections of "America" that feature Howe on the recording. A major violation, IMO. But he did a capable job on Starship Trooper and Roundabout, so go figure.

    In many ways, the new instrumentation, featuring horns, violin and percussion, breathed new life into some of the tired classics. But in other ways, it seemed a concession to the more basic arrangements.

    Overall, it was a very enjoyable show that served as a pretty good celebration of Jon's career, with some surprises like "State of Independence" and the Olias selections.
    I think your comment, breathed new life into some of the tired classics is spot on, and echo my impressions from our experience in Clearwater. I would add "classics" as well.
    I thought the arrangement and ending of Starship was brilliant and as it evolved throughout the song, weaving in and out between traditional and new concluding with the greatest ending I've ever heard of that song. It left my wife and I looking at each other, amazed at what we'd just seen and heard. It was truly the most memorable experience I can remember.
    Oh and it was LOUD, very very LOUD for a 750 seat venue, but I didn't have the usual post concert ringing in my ears, so it was mixed well.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  5. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    But they definitely played simpler arrangements of some of the other Yes songs. The guitarist seemed capable, but they skipped entire sections of "America" that feature Howe on the recording. A major violation, IMO. But he did a capable job on Starship Trooper and Roundabout, so go figure.

    That's ok, Steve Howe can't play those parts from America any longer either, judging by the horrible solos on the latest version of Awaken on Yes 50 live.

    I would love to hear the Olias songs live. Sounds like a nice gig all in all. I'm really happy for Jon. What a great career renaissance the guy has experienced since being ill enough for his main band to fire him over a decade ago.

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    That's ok, Steve Howe can't play those parts from America any longer either, judging by the horrible solos on the latest version of Awaken on Yes 50 live.

    I would love to hear the Olias songs live. Sounds like a nice gig all in all. I'm really happy for Jon. What a great career renaissance the guy has experienced since being ill enough for his main band to fire him over a decade ago.




    LOL
    2trevorsforlife

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    BTW, nice meeting you and Alan tonight. I hope you enjoyed the show as much I did!
    It was great meeting up with you guys as well, Roy. Really appreciate the help with the ticketing snafu too. Yes, we really enjoyed the show too!

    Cheers,


    Alan

  8. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Delaware County PA
    Posts
    243
    I think my favorite aspect (aside from Jon himself) of the band performance was the de-emphasis of soloing and virtuosic instrumental performance in favor of solid, tight ensemble arrangements and group performance. There is no better way to declare "this is no Yes, nor is in intended to be." And it allowed be to free my attention to focus on what it was, not what it wasn't.

    (Based on seeing the Collingswood NJ show in April.)

  9. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,318
    Saw the show tonight in Grand Rapids Michigan. I will write a more detailed review when I get time, but for now I will say the show was outstanding. Jon has lost none of his vocal range, which at 74 is pretty amazing. The band is also great. More to come.....

  10. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,318
    I usually write my own reviews, but this pretty much sums up exactly what I would have said about the Grand Rapids Michigan show last night: https://localspins.com/yes-fans-get-...lmoXeQb811zOzc

  11. #61
    Member FrippWire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Dearborn, MI
    Posts
    389
    The Grand Rapids review could also apply to the free show Jon did in Detroit on Friday, August 9. The music was excellent. This show being part of a free concert series sponsored by GM, music presentation aside, it was a bit of a sh*t show. From our vantage point it was wall to wall people in constant motion -- lots of walking back and forth; people passing by. Where we were standing we could only see the musician's heads. There were lots of Jon/Yes fans but also a significant number of people who were just there for the Riverfront party, it didn't matter to them who was in concert. THAT was a distraction to me. Maybe I'm just old and cranky? Nonetheless the music was great.

  12. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,318
    Here is another great review of the Grand Rapids show; https://progarchy.com/2019/08/10/in-...jI0#more-49853

  13. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    The Grand Rapids review could also apply to the free show Jon did in Detroit on Friday, August 9. The music was excellent. This show being part of a free concert series sponsored by GM, music presentation aside, it was a bit of a sh*t show. From our vantage point it was wall to wall people in constant motion -- lots of walking back and forth; people passing by. Where we were standing we could only see the musician's heads. There were lots of Jon/Yes fans but also a significant number of people who were just there for the Riverfront party, it didn't matter to them who was in concert. THAT was a distraction to me. Maybe I'm just old and cranky? Nonetheless the music was great.
    Unfortunately that is not unusual for free festival type show. The Grand Rapids show was actually a very small crowd. The venue was less than half full, and they were giving away free standing room tickets in the back a couple of days prior to the show. It all kind of surprised me as I thought Jon would draw more. Ticket prices were reasonable too.

  14. #64
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Unfortunately that is not unusual for free festival type show. The Grand Rapids show was actually a very small crowd. The venue was less than half full, and they were giving away free standing room tickets in the back a couple of days prior to the show. It all kind of surprised me as I thought Jon would draw more. Ticket prices were reasonable too.
    That's strange there would be a smaller crowd than expected. Grand Rapids has always been a pretty strong supporter of progressive rock music.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  15. #65
    Both Birchmere and Grand Rapids are up on Sugarmegs right now.. Grand Rapids to my ears is much clearer..

  16. #66
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,833
    Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Maybe I'm just old and cranky?
    Dude, this is PE. We're all old and cranky.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •