Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson 2019 Tour

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Maryland? I'll be there in two days.

Missed it by THAT much!
    good Maxwell Smart reference.

Quote Originally Posted by doneg View Post
    Actually that show was in Ocean City,NJ., near Atlantic City. He's also playing tomorrow night, Friday 8/2 in Asbury Park, NJ which if anyone is interested there are plenty of seats still available in all price ranges. Most of the shows around the area have been selling fairly well but for some reason the Asbury Park show is selling poorly, I think it's partly because of a lack of advertising for the show, and combining that with the fact that the Ocean City show, which is only about an hour south of Asbury Park, went on sale much earlier and was well advertised. Also, a couple of weeks ago I posted the question on the 1000 Hands thread asking if anyone knows if there will be a different setlist for the second leg of the tour, well this is interesting, apparently instead of changing the setlist it was kept the same and there have been a few songs added to the setlist from the first leg. Rather than give away any spoilers the setlists are on Setlist.FM
    I enjoyed the first tour setlist so much, I'd enjoy seeing his concert even if it's the same, but it's nice he's adding a few more. The night went by quite quickly, and before we realized it they were playing the encore stuff. Highly recommend his tour if you like Jon's music.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

Actually that show was in Ocean City,NJ., near Atlantic City.
    I've been there. Is that town still dry?

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    good Maxwell Smart reference.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

I've been there. Is that town still dry?

it sure is
    2trevorsforlife

wait, as in serving zero spirits? I didn't realize there were any places left that were dry in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    it sure is
    I visited my brother many years ago across the bridge in Sommer's Point. One of the locals told me they used to call it "Oh Shit City."
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    wait, as in serving zero spirits? I didn't realize there were any places left that were dry in the US?
    Oh yes, there are still quite a few. I live near some dry counties myself.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Oh yes, there are still quite a few. I live near some dry counties myself.
    Blimey! No drinkies? How do they cope, FFS?

I've never understood the reasoning of a dry county? I know it's based on religious beliefs, but you can buy alcohol in the next county and drink it in the dry county. It doesn't stop drinking.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice

tbh, I've never understood the connection to Christian religious beliefs. It's not like there isn't alcohol in the Bible. It's been awhile but I don't remember alcohol being forbidden. Jesus is reported to have changed water into wine for a wedding!

Jesus is reported to have changed water into wine for a wedding!
    and also on open mic night!

I've never understood the reasoning of a dry county? I know it's based on religious beliefs, but you can buy alcohol in the next county and drink it in the dry county. It doesn't stop drinking.
    True, but they feel good about themselves by doing so. Silly, isn't it?

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. It's a leftover from the prohibition era, which was a woefully misguided venture.

tbh, I've never understood the connection to Christian religious beliefs. It's not like there isn't alcohol in the Bible. It's been awhile but I don't remember alcohol being forbidden. Jesus is reported to have changed water into wine for a wedding!
    Yep. It's a misreading or a misinterpretation of the scriptures. There's plenty of evidence that the wine referred to throughout the Bible was the alcoholic kind, but some puritanical folks will argue that it was just "grape juice". Which doesn't explain why, at the wedding where Jesus turned water into wine, the director of the feast said that normally people bring out the good stuff first and then the inferior wine after everyone is intoxicated. Hard to get intoxicated off regular old grape juice.

FWIW there seems to be a distinction in the Bible between alcohol which is permitted and drunkenness which is condemned.

I don't see the point of dry towns either. In the last election three dry towns in my area voted to allow alcohol sales. They might have been the last holdouts in my area. I'm not aware of any others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    FWIW there seems to be a distinction in the Bible between alcohol which is permitted and drunkenness which is condemned.

I don't see the point of dry towns either. In the last election three dry towns in my area voted to allow alcohol sales. They might have been the last holdouts in my area. I'm not aware of any others.

def losing some tax monies
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Hard to get intoxicated off regular old grape juice.
    Tell that to Ralph and Ed

True, but they feel good about themselves by doing so. Silly, isn't it?
    This. You know, Mayberry was dry but I don't know which season they started drinking though. Lot of guys cooking their own.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    True, there is a distinction. Drunkenness was condemned, but there was no law against alcohol. In fact wine was a commonly consumed beverage, and there were plenty of vineyards for producing "wine that makes man’s heart rejoice" (Psalm 104:15).

So for a town/county to be "dry" doesn't really make much sense from any angle, as the Prohibition made clear so many years ago, IMO.

Tell that to Ralph and Ed

Ok enough of this silliness! Well l made it to Asbury Park, anyone else here?

Ok enough of this silliness! Well l made it to Asbury Park, anyone else here?
    Yup, I am. Row J.

Greetings,

Amy and I were there, with seven other friends. We all thought it was quite a wonderful show.

Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Greetings,

Amy and I were there, with seven other friends. We all thought it was quite a wonderful show.

Cheers,

Alan
    That band is something else, right? I was skeptical but when we saw him earlier this year I loved how tight they played, and they genuinely seemed to be having a good time. And Jon, even tho he was fighting a cold, still sounded awesome.

I saw the show in Asbury Park - my first time seeing him since he started his 3-year "1000 Hands" tour. I really enjoyed. Jon sounds great, as did the band for the most part. Nice set list with some interesting arrangements. The sax/flute player was a bit much for me - I think he thought it was actually his concert, with his "look-at-me"-style stage presence. And it was nice 2-hour show length. Glad I went.

Marginal spoiler hints in my response below:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I saw the show in Asbury Park - my first time seeing him since he started his 3-year "1000 Hands" tour. I really enjoyed. Jon sounds great, as did the band for the most part. Nice set list with some interesting arrangements. The sax/flute player was a bit much for me - I think he thought it was actually his concert, with his "look-at-me"-style stage presence. And it was nice 2-hour show length. Glad I went.
    Funny, I was sitting nearly right in front of him and I didn’t find him distracting in the least. I loved his exuberance and enthusiasm. That goes for most of the rest of the band.
    It was a marvelous show. I’ve seen Jon solo many times over the years, and his bare-bones, one-man show mostly underwhelmed me. This band brings his show to an entirely different level with its creative, adventurous treatment of several Yes chestnuts and Jon’s early solo work. If one seeks to define “progressive” in a musical context, look no further than today’s Jon Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Funny, I was sitting nearly right in front of him and I didn’t find him distracting in the least. I loved his exuberance and enthusiasm. That goes for most of the rest of the band.
    Different strokes. :-) He sounded GREAT, just didnt care for his extra-overly-animated style, when no one else on stage was doing that. Looked pretty ridiculous to me. But I do agree with the rest of your comments - very "full" sounding show from Jon and I enjoyed the set list and arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    This band brings his show to an entirely different level with its creative, adventurous treatment of several Yes chestnuts and Jon’s early solo work. If one seeks to define “progressive” in a musical context, look no further than today’s Jon Anderson.
    Absolutely! I was thinking the exact same thing tonight in Philadelphia. I felt that way especially about Yours Is No Disgrace. I feel like this band has evolved the song. It is beautiful the way it was originally recorded, of course, with all of the interlocking instrumental and vocal parts, but there are nine musicians on stage in this band... and each one is adding something unique and interesting to the song. I enjoyed it tonight more than any other performance since the 1970s (and I have heard it MANY times since then).

BTW, nice meeting you and Alan tonight. I hope you enjoyed the show as much I did!
    Amazon Marketplace - http://www.amazon.com/shops/A3UJ306B3ZDWF4
    Many hard to find CDs (mostly prog)