Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experimental new classical - advice wanted

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Greetings,

I'll throw in a couple of links to get started:

Cheers,

Alan

Good stuff.I got into Akiho's music starting with No One To Know One, a couple of years ago and saw his ensemble in NYC.First rate music.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

BC (with Jóhann Jóhannsson) by Clarice Jensen (from For This From That Will Be Filled, released April 2018)

Try
    Toru Takemitsu
    Per Nørgård

Sendt fra min BLA-L29 med Tapatalk

Here's another Andy Akiho piece, this one for full steel band. It's fascinating because of the way he completely re-thinks the steel band - each pan becomes not just a melodic instrument, as the West Indian tradition has used it, but a small self-contained percussion ensemble, capable not just of producing dulcet tones, but harsh clatters and bangs. On top of that, the pitched material is harmonically wide-ranging, not conventionally melodic, but there's a power and intensity to it that's hard to achieve with any instrumentation. The result is almost a sort of RIO steel band.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Toru Takemitsu
    Takemitsu (October 8, 1930 – February 20, 1996) had some very interesting stuff, but not sure it fits the OP's request for "new."

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Takemitsu (October 8, 1930 – February 20, 1996) had some very interesting stuff, but not sure it fits the OP's request for "new."
    Nope - but I'm not sure Experimental or even Classical fits the suggestions mentioned above.

Wayward Free Radical Dreams, from the album Vespers for a New Dark Age by Missy Mazzoli (2016)

Hi again,

Two other possibilities from my Bandcamp purchase library (the latter of which I haven't really heard in detail yet):

- Letters of Forgotten Days by Vyacheslav Guyvoronsky
    - Lição #2: Dorival by Quartabê

Cheers,

Alan

About to recieve this on CD. Have it on vinyl, but the CD-version is augumented with 4 songs, that are not on the original vinyl.

Kevin Volans-Mbira.This piece is scored for two harpsichords, retuned to a Zimbabwean Shona scale.Percussion is added.From Volan's cd "White Man Sleeps".

Volans was born in South Africa, now living in Ireland(afaik).
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Ann Cleare - Earth Waves for solo trombone, voice sextet, speakers and electronics (2018)

Kate Soper and the Wet Ink Ensemble- Voices from the Killing Jar is pretty wild, it's up on bandcamp as well

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Many thanks again for all the suggestions. Am enjoying working through them.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Not sure they exactly fit the description in the OP (they don't use nonstandard instruments), but may be worth a listen.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell