Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England Win the Cricket World Cup in a classic!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

England Win the Cricket World Cup in a classic!

What the hell, probably get no traffic but I'm posting it anyway!!

Utterly utterly bizarre victory, England needed 15 off the last over, got 4 overthrows when Stokes was hit by the ball trying to make his ground on a second run and the ricochet went to the boundary. Tied 241 all after 50 overs so goes to a sudden death 1 over for each team. Both teams score 15 in the over so its still tied. England win based on more boundaries during the match.

Wonderful stuff. Feel very sorry for the Kiwis.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 07-14-2019 at 04:16 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This one is almost impossible to understand if you're a diehard cricket fan. How do you even begin to explain what happened to anyone else?

New Zealand got virtually no luck today - alongside the overthrows, there was Boult taking the fine catch in the deep, only to step on the boundary.

Two fine teams - one, England, who got to where they are by taking inspiration from the other, New Zealand, back in 2015. And redemption for Stokes, after his calamitous last over the Brathwaite in the T20 final.

And to think this was going on at the very same time as Djocko & Fed were playing out an almost equally improbable final, on the opposite side of the river!

Probably the tensest match I've ever seen in any sport. I think I'll need to take the whole week off to recover

What? What? You guys mean cricket can be exiting? [emoji849][emoji849]

Here in the US, all we hear is crickets.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

It sounds like they found an even more ridiculous way to break ties than soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It sounds like they found an even more ridiculous way to break ties than soccer.
    Oh it makes more sense than soccer, at least the super over is still really cricket not like the penalty shoot out.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Oh it makes more sense than soccer, at least the super over is still really cricket not like the penalty shoot out.
    "England win based on more boundaries during the match."

I admittedly don't know Cricket, but that sounds...really strange.

That was only after sudden death ended tied.
    Ian

Controversy
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

That was only after sudden death ended tied.
    As the penalty kicks occur after Extra Time.

I love me some cricket! Saw some of this on the replay. Wow, what a game!

For fun, I often play this Google doodle of cricket

Don't forget the 2 albums from the music group, The Duckworth Lewis Method along with their site: http://www.dlmethod.co.uk

Here in the US, one has to stay up well past their bedtime for extra innings in baseball, or multiple overtimes in the other 3 major sports.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Here in the US, one has to stay up well past their bedtime for extra innings in baseball, or multiple overtimes in the other 3 major sports.
    But the winners are decided by playing the game, not an artificial construct.

What an incredible final that was, I watched every ball but cannot say I was ever comfortable. It was quite the tensest sporting occasion I can remember.

I feel sad for the Kiwi’s, they were fabulous and complete sportsmen to the end. England however have waited a long time for this success, and in the moment I was leaping around the room, punching the air in delight.

Bring on the Aussie”s for the Ashes next!

But the winners are decided by playing the game, not an artificial construct.
    Not too long ago, the PGA took that concept a little too far. When the Masters or US Open (I forget which) ended in a tie on Sunday afternoon, the top players had to play an entire round on Monday. But that too ended in a tie, so it went to sudden death extra holes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Bring on the Aussie”s for the Ashes next!
    Quite. But none of that "if the series is tied, the holders retain the Ashes" nonsense. Introduce the super over in the Ashes, I say!

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    I know I am coming into this thread late, but I still haven't gotten over the way NZ lost.

I lived on and off in New Zealand for five years in the early 90's. I came to love the game of Cricket while I was there. I was following this world cup from the outset. Very tough pill to swallow for the Kiwi's

At the very least they should have kept playing super overs until there was a winner. But since that is not in the rules, the trophy should have been shared. There were no winners or losers that day. Neither country had won the world cup and I am sure both would have been fine sharing it.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Good performance by Steve Smith today, pretty impressive given the general ineptitude around him.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    But since that is not in the rules, the trophy should have been shared.
    But, sharing also wasn't in the rules.

Both teams knew the rules in advance of the final over(s). On that criterion, & that criterion alone, it was a fair outcome.

Now, whether or not you think the rule itself was a "good" one is a different matter.

I grew up in Edinburgh supporting Heart of Midlothian FC. Twice, in 50 years, they have been denied winning the League on a "technicality". In 1965, they finished to a team that had a superior goal average. In 1986, they finished to a team that had a superior goal difference. If the rules had been swapped around, Hearts would have won both times (ie, in 1965, they had a superior goal difference, & in 1986 they had a superior goal average). I have cursed the irony, muttered about the absurdity of arbitrary rules, & have lived with the existential angst of being a Hearts supporter all of my life. But in the end, you either abide by the rules, or you move on & do something else. Without rules, however arbitrary, you don't have sport, you have mucking about.

Good performance by Steve Smith today, pretty impressive given the general ineptitude around him.
    A snapshot of the strengths & weaknesses of both teams: Take Smith out of the lineup, & Aus could go home now. He is a phenomenon - his technique breaks more or less every rule; but he has a superb eye, & remarkable hand-eye coordination. My hunch is that he will be one of these players who, when his eyes start to go, his batting will fall off the edge of a cliff (by contrast, Cook was able to soldier on for two or three seasons at the highest level, even when his eyes had clearly deteriorated slightly, because of his outstanding technique). On the other hand, England risked having gone into this test a pace bowler light. Especially without Jimmy, they lacked the raw pace/firepower to knock over Aus's tail.

It will be interesting to see how England go when they bat today. For success in the series as a whole, they desperately need Root to play to his potential in the way that Smith played to his yesterday. One suspects that England's batting will fluctuate between extremes. If they get on top, Buttler & Stokes could wreak havoc, & pile up big scores. But, equally, if they lose early wickets, you can see them getting scuttled out cheaply.

Bairstow is a huge problem - both the influence of his personality on the team, & his rank form...

Yeah, I have a feeling this whole series goes depending on Root & Smith.
    Ian

Stunning Ashes third test win for England over Australia needing 73 for the final wicket Ben Stokes singlehandedly won the match. Fantastic stuff.
    Ian

First the world cup final and now this incredible result. We must be in a parallel universe here.

England haters despair!
    Ian