Thread: New Albums From 80s New Wave Bands

New Albums From 80s New Wave Bands

I guess that that everyone on PE knows that I was a child of the 80s. Out of nostalgia, I somewhat recently bought new CDs from Duran Duran and Thomas Dolby. They were great fun to hear. It got me to thinking what other 80s New Wave bands were up to now and what was worth trying. Any advice? I see that there is a new OMD album and a new Simple Minds best of compilation with a few new tracks coming out.

Library Jon

Banned
    I'll be curious to hear what new wave bands DO have recent albums. It's sometimes hard to keep up, but if Squeeze or the Human League ever release new material, I'd be all over it.

Check out "Beautiful Friction" by the Fixx (2012) Great album!

Was just listening to Ultravox's Brilliant, which was released last year....it's pretty tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    I'll be curious to hear what new wave bands DO have recent albums. It's sometimes hard to keep up, but if Squeeze or the Human League ever release new material, I'd be all over it.
    The last Sqeeze album that I am aware of was "Domino" from 1999. It is a decent effort. Not as good as some of their classics, but worth owning.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The last Sqeeze album that I am aware of was "Domino" from 1999. It is a decent effort. Not as good as some of their classics, but worth owning.

Steve Sly
    Squeeze did release an album with re-recorded songs called Spot The Difference in 2010. They even got Paul Carrack to sing Tempted.
    Last edited by JIF; 02-26-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Dolby's A Map of the Floating City is brilliant. Good pickup. I'd add the Pet Shop Boys Elysium to the list. My 11-year-old son is a big PSB fan.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

As mentioned above: The Fixx — Beautiful Friction (2012)

Not exactly New Wave, but an artist from that era:
    Grace Jones — Hurricane (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Squeeze did release an album with re-recorded songs called Spot The Difference in 2010. They even got Paul Carrack to sing Tempted.
    Yes, I guess I was thinking albums of new material. If I remember right "Spot" was all re-recorings with nothing new?

Steve Sly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yes, I guess I was thinking albums of new material. If I remember right "Spot" was all re-recorings with nothing new?

Steve Sly
    You are correct, sir.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    Dolby's A Map of the Floating City is brilliant.
    I'm remiss in not having heard this album yet. I think his album Astronauts & Heretics may be better than anything he did in the 80s (though I love those albums too). The song I Love You Goodbye from A&H is, IMO, probably his best song up to that point. Pretty amazing music and lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm remiss in not having heard this album yet. I think his album Astronauts & Heretics may be better than anything he did in the 80s (though I love those albums too). The song I Love You Goodbye from A&H is, IMO, probably his best song up to that point. Pretty amazing music and lyrics.
    "I Love You Goodbye" is one of my all-time faves of his, too. On Floating City, the song "Oceanea" is quite hauntingly beautiful and can really stay with you in a similar way, although it's a much slower-paced tune.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!