Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Beatles-"Abbey Road" 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition is on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So, anyone heard this yet?
    Yep. The outtakes are pretty cool. There are some real gems.

The new mix is nice, but unnecessary. It's different, but you simply cannot improve on perfection. I did not listen to it on a great system, but many of the backing vocals are pushed forward and there are a few previously buried items that now see light of day. I still see no need for this, but Giles is allowed to play. Luckily, he did not go overboard.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yep. The outtakes are pretty cool. There are some real gems.

The new mix is nice, but unnecessary. It's different, but you simply cannot improve on perfection. I did not listen to it on a great system, but many of the backing vocals are pushed forward and there are a few previously buried items that now see light of day. I still see no need for this, but Giles is allowed to play. Luckily, he did not go overboard.
    Did you listen to the Dolby Atmos or multichannel mix? I don’t see the point in reinventIng the Stereo mix either, but for multichannel on a calibrated system, yes indeed. People who heard the Atmos Sgt Pepper’s in special engagements were blown away.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Did you listen to the Dolby Atmos or multichannel mix? I don’t see the point in reinventIng the Stereo mix either, but for multichannel on a calibrated system, yes indeed. People who heard the Atmos Sgt Pepper’s in special engagements were blown away.
    Stereo.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So, anyone heard this yet?
    Yup. Bought the super deluxe cd/BR box and both the remix (Stereo, don’t have surround) and alternate takes/mixes are superb. Haven’t read the book yet, but glancing at it , it looks like it’ll be up to the same standard as the white album & sgt peppers books.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I still have not yet listened to it on a good system, but I've seen enough comments by fans to understand that it's not very popular. Apparently, reverb has been added throughout. While it may sound technically great, it certainly will not replace the original. I still think this whole "new mix for younger audiences" is total BS. But, unlike "Pepper" there's still a proper stereo mix to listen to. With "Pepper," the definitive remains the mono.

I know there are a lot of complaints with the outtakes being so few. They could just about fit on one disc. I've heard nothing about the multi-track.

Banned
    I still have not yet listened to it on a good system, but I've seen enough comments by fans to understand that it's not very popular. Apparently, reverb has been added throughout. While it may sound technically great, it certainly will not replace the original. I still think this whole "new mix for younger audiences" is total BS. But, unlike "Pepper" there's still a proper stereo mix to listen to. With "Pepper," the definitive remains the mono.

I know there are a lot of complaints with the outtakes being so few. They could just about fit on one disc. I've heard nothing about the multi-track.
    I don’t believe Giles would add reverb. Giles was the main engineer on Let it Be Naked, which was clean of Spector’s crap. Giles isn’t a real young person. I’ll have the box this week.

Banned
    Recorded on eight-track instead of four, and famous for the attention to detail in its production, arrangements and mix, Abbey Road has always sounded amazing, and still does. It’s impossible to say if the “2019 stereo mix” is any better than the “2009 stereo mix” or even the original mix, but it sounds very sparkly if that’s what you like. At times, it sounds wrong (there’s echo on Paul McCartney’s vocal on Oh! Darling) and the listener wonders if these new touches aren’t just the 21st century equivalent of “electronically reprocessed for stereo,” but there we go.

https://recordcollectormag.com/revie...ersary-edition

Me: It’s possible when separated in high resolution mixing that acoustics can be heard that were previously not resolved. I’ve noticed this on Neil Young’s remasters for HDCD. Even though I don’t have the decoder, the air in the room can be heard.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

> I still think this whole "new mix for younger audiences" is total BS.

Today’s young listeners demand the highest fidelity.

The Sgt. Pepper remix left me with mixed feelings, so I never got around to The White Album or this one.

The original version is still the definitive one for me. Don’t know if the extras are enough to justify buying these, just for me personally.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    > I still think this whole "new mix for younger audiences" is total BS.

If one is talking about the Japanese

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

and that's why they listen to compressed music on earbuds through their cellphones!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

A great interview with Giles Martin from NPR

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/30/76571...h-giles-martin
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    and that's why they listen to compressed music on earbuds through their cellphones!
    Exactly...

I've been streaming the remix album from Amazon Music thru my desktop while I work and it sounds really open & well balanced. YMMV

I'll picking this up on vinyl, not the deluxe set but just the album.
    It does sound like the bass and drums are more prominent as they were in the previous Giles Martin remixes, but that's alright with me.
    I was a holdout on the Sgt Pepper version for quite a long time but finally picked it up one day while shopping at Walmart and was quite surprised how much my wife and I enjoyed it. She's usually totally against any remixes and remasters of most albums, and Sgt Pepper is one of her favorites, so for her to enjoy it says a lot.
    Of course, it's nice to have other versions. I have it on the Mono Box set, the original vinyl and the first pressing on cd.

I still haven't gotten the White Album(which I also have in the vinyl mono box set, original vinyl and original pressing on cd), but hoping it might be a good one for Christmas.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Banned
    I listened to the DTS Master 5.1 track from the BD. The bass is wonderful and tight, and full of might. On the End the drums sound like they are in the room, and the Moog Taurus pedals in the finale are phenomenal. The LFE channel appears to be utilized well. One of these recordings was described as sparkly. Not to my ears, very smooth and sweet vocal sibilants for me. Don’t hear any radical reverb as was claimed. I wonder if someone’s system has a weird impulse response. A sheer beautiful uncompressed multichannel mix.

One of these recordings was described as sparkly. Not to my ears, very smooth and sweet vocal sibilants for me. Don’t hear any radical reverb as was claimed. I wonder if someone’s system has a weird impulse response. A sheer beautiful uncompressed multichannel mix.
    I think, while there may be a general consensus about a mix, when it comes to personal opinions, we have to consider the listening environment and equipment being used. This can vary quite a bit from person to person, so one person's "sparkly" may be another's "nails on a chalkboard".

I don't have a 5.1 system, just a old school Realistic 2000D receiver and some Wharferdale Diamond bookshelf speakers.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I think, while there may be a general consensus about a mix, when it comes to personal opinions, we have to consider the listening environment and equipment being used. This can vary quite a bit from person to person, so one person's "sparkly" may be another's "nails on a chalkboard".

I don't have a 5.1 system, just a old school Realistic 2000D receiver and some Wharferdale Diamond bookshelf speakers.
    I think that it is more likely that a 5.1 presentation is not compressed (amplitude) when the power in the lows is allocated into the subwoofer or dual powered subwoofers like mine. My multichannel system has matched drivers and is room calibrated with high resolution to my listening seat. I don’t have a Dolby Atmos system, but I did briefly listen to the Atmos track which sounded different, but I am not prepared to characterize the difference.

As far as consensus in sound is concerned, I don’t trust it. I trust my ears and knowledge of my system which has features which nullify many of the differences people can hear. What people hear is not static either. If I get in my car or go somewhere and listen to something for awhile, my ears and brain are tuned. It takes some re-adjustment to stabilize my hearing to my systems. On my home system, when my hearing stabilizes, it’s the most clear and accurate, spatially and sonically.

I think Steven Wilson needs to listen to this 5.1 mix. His mixes maybe authentic, but authentic maybe compressed relative to live music. His mixes sound lean, bass wise. I find it ridiculous that he feels he needs to remix KC’s 21st Century Schizoid Man. The Abbey Road studio that this was remixed went thru a complete overhaul before St Peppers was remixed.

As far as consensus in sound is concerned, I don’t trust it. I trust my ears and knowledge of my system which has features which nullify many of the differences people can hear. What people hear is not static either. If I get in my car or go somewhere and listen to something for awhile, my ears and brain are tuned. It takes some re-adjustment to stabilize my hearing to my systems. On my home system, when my hearing stabilizes, it’s the most clear and accurate, spatially and sonically.
    I think your comment supports what I wrote above.
    When I wrote a general consensus regarding certain things in a mix such as the bass being too loud or too low, I was thinking if the majority of listeners come to the same conclusion regardless of the difference in their audio setup and listening environment, then it's most likely accurate.

Banned
    I think your comment supports what I wrote above.
    When I wrote a general consensus regarding certain things in a mix such as the bass being too loud or too low, I was thinking if the majority of listeners come to the same conclusion regardless of the difference in their audio setup and listening environment, then it's most likely accurate.
    Theoretically, sure. But today there are so many cut and paste opinions, one can’t be sure what really is a consensus. Besides who cares what the consensus is, unless they want to bias themselves instead of being independent by just listening themselves.

The box set and Picture vinyl arrived yesterday... (OCD....I did the same for Sgt. Peppers) The cellophane seemed a bit thicker.....and wrapped tighter than most......got that really sharp knife out....and of course......sliced the back of the book in the process! This is not a "box" set....it is a cardboard slipcase over a hardbound book....therefore, I cannot put the picture vinyl Inside with the book. On the shelf this will be like a gear with a chipped tooth....for years... Thank You Ian A. for making all the 40th books the same size.....

Looking forward to today's playlist......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga